Priceline Hotel: 3* Chicago (NMA-River North) Four Points

travelAlot
By travelAlot,
in

A very successful/methodical request -- but extremely strange.

Ended up with the Four Points Sheraton Downtown Chicago for $60/night. $55/night x 2 nights on one bid ($110 bid), $70/night x 1 night on a 2nd bid ($70) -- for a $180 total ($60/night). The "strange" part is that, by splitting into two separate bids, I actually obtained a much cheaper rate that I would've had accepted if bidding on all 3 nights.

(To the newbies, please read the FAQs on this site -- it is impossible to guarantee the same hotel when splitting your bids for different nights and you must accept that you may be staying at a different hotel. I had a decent hunch I'd be in the area I desired and avoid the undesired one hotel -- but there are no guarantees and I am fairly fortunate.)

In case it is helpful to others planning similar Chicago trips, I thought I'd share the background/strategy:

Basically I was hoping for 3 nights @ the Four Points Sheraton Chicago (3-star) or the Embassy Suites Lakefront Chicago (3.5 stars via upgrade) that both have shown in the $69-79 range during the last few weeks for my intended dates. The Four Points had been at the $69 pricepoint on Hotwire -- validating that I had a chance for a fairly low rate during a prime business traveler nights (plus Cubs Opening Day is the 12th). Then it bumped up into the low $80s (still showing $69 for the 1st two nights and $93-94 for the 3rd night if bought separately). Knowing that the only comparable 3-star (I realize there are others, that's the risk when bidding) is the Holiday Inn Merchandise Mart (an OK hotel but out of the way), I researched the HI's rates -- and discovered that there was availability for all nights with the exclusion of a 1-night 4/13-4/14 stay (no rooms available). The Four Points' rates were still below the Holiday Inn's as well, and far below the Embassy Suites'.

With that research and Better Bidding's posted winning bids for these hotels, I attempted several extended bids (using rebid zones/combinations) on Priceline withoit success. One started in the mid-50s and didn't even receive a counteroffer. Another ended in the mid-60s again sans a counteroffer. Then next did receive a counteroffer at $60 (for a $77/night acceptance for 3 nights), and was unsuccessful when my last bid topped out at $69.

Plan B was to either buy on Hotwire at $69/night for 2 nights and then the 3rd at $94 -- using the $20 and $15 respective Entertainment Book rebates to defray the cost -- or begin a 2-night strategy on Priceline. I went for the latter.

To my surprise, my starting $55 bid was accepted. The add-a-night attempt brought a $79 counteroffer -- still not bad at all considering the 3-night average would be less than what was previously rejected ($63 or $66 including PL's 2nd bid fee). Open to changing hotels but sure that the Holiday Inn (no one-night availability on the 13th) would be eliminated regardless, I began a one-night bid at $60, using rebids/hybrid combinations until accepted at $70. And landing the Four Points Sheraton as hoped. Happy ending -- LOl now if I can land that Opening Day Cubs ticket flawlessly, I'll be way happy on my first visit ever to Wrigley.

Just thought I'd share all the details in case it assisted others. FYI that I linked from BB to PRICELINE to initiate both of my bids.

Congratulations on your success!

A well thought out plans and well executed. Glad to see you received the same hotel for each leg of your purchase and that you're happy with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay and good luck with the Cubbie tix.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Pretty remarkable win for this property in the early Spring season. This is an easy walk to the Grand/State Red Line station (a few blocks away). At that station, you can take the Red Line North to Addison, and Wrigley is a block or two to the West of the station. Good luck with getting tickets - I believe they go on sale (including the online "waiting room") in late Feb.

Thanks to you both for the kind words and suggestions. I'm just as pleasantly surprised the bid worked (often I'd hold off in case later availability pops up, but Chicago in spring during business-travel and Cubs Opening Day timeframes said "do it now"). I'm on the Cubs email ticket list so will get a heads-up before the sale...also the wildcard is that they have a later box/club sale that does include the rightfield fence seats...if that doesn't work, it's just me for one ticket so if i have to pay $50 for a $15-20 nosebleed seat so be it lol. Also really appreciate the thoroughness of the board, including the very current hotel lists for Hotwire and Priceline -- it really helped on my bid strategies.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]