Priceline Hotel: Advice needed for Washington - May 2010

bkmtl
By bkmtl,
in

Want to bring my 12-year old to Washington at the end of May for her birthday.

Since I've never been there, I need advice on what areas to bid on. We want to be central to all the touristy sites - either by walking or by hopping the Metro.

Also what areas to avoid as being iffy especially at night.

Would it be better to stick to 4* or are 3* and 3.5* clean and comfortable as well?

For Priceline name your own price, the areas closest to most of the tourist sites are (in preference order IMHO):

#5: Convention Ctr - Capitol Hill area

#13: White House - Downtown

#8: Dupont Circle - Woodley Park

#9: Georgetown - Foggy Bottom

Stay away from #7: DC Suburbs - Northeast Area

If you're doing name your own price, hopefully you'll get lucky and get a hotel near a Metro. The Renaissance on 9th St, the Grand Hyatt, JW Marriott and Willard are all walking distance to Metro stops.

3 star in the zones mentioned above should be fine. For lower costs, you can go to #6: Crystal City which has a Metro stop and the hotels have free shuttle buses to Reagan Airport where you can also catch the Metro.

You can get all day Metro passes that are good after the morning rush hour (930a).Details about the subway at www.wmata.com

May 31 is Memorial Day and the city clears out of business travelers, so you should be able to find some good prices if you can beat the tourists making their reservations. Since Congress will be out of session, you might be able to find some good prices in the Capitol Hill zone.

Thank you Doubleplay. Your information was very helpful.

Am I correct that in zones 5,13, 8, & 9 ( as suggested), there are no free re-bid zones? The only thing that can be changed is the price and open new bids for each area so as not to over-bid.

I will firm up my dates and then get back to the board for more advice on bidding.

I work at a hotel walking distance to the Mall (not featured on Priceline, as far as I know) and it is very safe to walk around in that area at night. I usually close so I am in around that area at 9 or 10pm sometimes. When the weather is warmer out, walking to the monuments at night (like Lincoln) is very beautiful and you see some of the national treasures in a whole new light. Lincoln Memorial at night has a few security guards and is well-lit.

The area around Metro Center is a ghost town around 8 and 9pm. Usually the only noise are from the homeless people outside the station. However, easily walkable (about 20 minutes) to the Mall. It'll be longer distances for monuments. I recommend that if you get a hotel near Metro Center, to walk to museums during the day and Metro home in the afternoon because you'll be exhausted!

Crystal City is like a concrete jungle and is quiet (if eerie) once the 9-5'ers empty out. It is convenient to a metro and the airport but may seem like a long ride after doing museums all day.

Thank you for your advice slygirl.

Would the area you work in be considered "#5: Convention Ctr - Capitol Hill area" or "#13: White House - Downtown"? And what area would Metro Center be considered? The end of May should be lovely walking around weather if we are not too exhausted from all the museum visits.

If you go to Maps and Hotels.com and enter "775 12th Street Northwest, DC" into the search box you'll be able to see the location of the Metro Center station.

Comparing this to the PRICELINE zones, it appears to be inside the northern boundary of the Convention Center zone, although just east of the eastern most edge of the White House/Downtown zone.

slygirl can confirm the above, but wanted to give you something more to go on in the meantime.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My hotel is located near the SW Waterfront and is down the street from the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel. L'Enfant Plaza Hotel is considered Convention Center - Capitol Hill.

There are many hotels near Metro Center, as it is a major hub on the subway where lines connect. The exits for this station include:

SE corner 13th and G Sts. NW

SE corner 11th and G Sts. NW

NE corner 12th and G Sts. NW

SW corner 12th and F Sts. NW

Washington Marriott at Metro Center is right there at the station. Others include Grand Hyatt Washington, Renaissance Washington. The Willard InterContinental and W Hotel are also walking distance. There is also Hotel Harrington but that place is kind of old school motel looking. I always see hordes of school kids staying there for their trips to DC.

While I haven't stayed at the Willard, the location is very nice. Their lobby is gorgeous and their Round Robin bar serves good drinks. Cafe du Parc, located next door, has a pretty outdoor area. The hotel is located near Old Ebbitt Grill, which everyone should dine in if they're in DC. There is also a Corner Bakery (service is so-so here) and Border's Books nearby for breakfast and free wi-fi. Other breakfast places include Cosi and Au Bon Pain, which also provide free wi-fi.

Macy's, H&M, and other stores are a few blocks away. I don't know if that is helpful but at my hotel we always have guests who have kids who forget their bathing suits :)

From this area, it is about a 20-minute walk to the Mall. If you take the Metro, I would say it is about 7-8 minute ride to Smithsonian metro station. You can take the orange or blue line and it is two stops away.

• 5 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]