Priceline Hotel: 4* Amsterdam (City Centre-Museum Quarter) NH Amsterdam Centre

sooboy
By sooboy,
in

Hi

Looking at a 5* in city centre - musuem quarter of Amseterdam March 31 2010 - April 2.

Hotwire price 159 tripadvisor rating 4.5

Amenities fitness centre, restuarant, business centre, laundry facilities. high speed internet, gold nearby, tennis nearby.

1st time staying in Amsterdam - hoping for best bang for the buck (of course)

ANy help would be greatly appreciated

You have plenty of time. Start with the 'Tips and Tricks for Priceline and Hotwire' forums on the home page.

I usually only book first 2 nights then bid on the fly while I'm there.

Look at reported PRICELINE winning bids for around your dates to see if those properties are acceptable to you.

If there is a property you want to avoid or choose, then HOTWIRE gives you more control, as you can usually work out which property they are offering.

Be aware: PL and HW inventory may be different and not be offering the same property at the same time.

Also be aware that the NYOP opaque side of PRICELINE may be using different inventory that the regular Purchase side of PL.

It's easy to get mixed up.

On a tight budget I will usually go PL for Amsterdam or London.

It is well documented what Hotels are participating so there are usually no surprises.

It can always happen of course, if a property comes back that has not participated for a while (like the Movenpick in AMS, that has recently reappeared for instance) or a new property appears that has not participated before. Usually (but not always) PL will be cheaper than HW, sometimes a lot cheaper.

NH Hotels in AMS are the heavy participants right now.

Although the Pulitzer, Hilton, Renaissance, Marriott, Intercontinental, Bilderberg Gdn, Sofitel, Radisson, Crowne Plaza and others have all appeared at various times.

I have had PL wins at

Moevenpick (best)

Barbizon Palace (marginal)

Krasnapolsky (marginal)

I also stay at Pulitzer and Hilton as I participate in those properties loyalty programs.

Neither of them are great by the way.

I am hoping to land at the Amrath on my next AMS PL venture.

I usually only bid at 5* but that is no guarantee of any quality with PL. I have has the worst rooms in the world bidding at 5*.

If you get a bad room - complain (nicely) - I usually change rooms at least once.

Being a member of their loyalty program, unofficially can sometimes help in getting a better room.

Currently, the 4* NH's look to be the best bet at around $70 - $85.

Good luck and post back.

t

• 1 month later...

Hi Friends!

Okay - my control freak nature is getting the best of me. I know March 30 is a long way away but I am beginning to wonder if it is time to lock in a hotel.

Found the following on Hotwire for a Stay from March 30- April 2 -

5 star for 116USD (plus 48 in fees and taxes) city centre musuem quarter

smoke free rooms, business centre, pool, fitness centre, restaurant

I am thinking it is the Grand Hotel Amrath - or is it soemthing else.

Any thoughts on if I should go with this price (hotel website lists it at 250 a night) or is it likely to go much lower?

Tripadvisor gives it a 4.5 - anyone ever stay there with any thoughts about it?

Thanks for your help!

Normally I'd say wait... but of you're pretty sure it's the Amrath I'd jump now.

Having seen it and been in the lobby that's the hotel I'd most want to stay

at on my next trip to Amsterdam.

I've stayed at the Moevenpick and Krasnapolsky in the past but I'd go

for the Amrath!

Hope this helps.

Rob

Best guess for the above is the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam.

While nobody can say if the price will go lower, or higher, between now and your stay, the other risk (besides price) is that this hotel disappears entirely from the HOTWIRE offerings.

If you believe that this is the hotel you want, and it's a deep discount versus a traditionally booked room, then by all means lock it in now.

Please remember to use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Bids of 60, 63, 65 rejected all with counter offers of 88. Finally got it for 68USD with taxes and fees the total was 160.52

Actually needed an extra night - offered me a chance to add an extra night when I tried to do it they wanted 108 so I declined. Will try again tomorrow and hopefully get the same hotel for close to the same amount.

All in all pretty happy - looks like a good hotel and the price was less then half what it would have been if i booked through the hotel itself

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]