Priceline Hotel: 4* Vancouver (Downtown) Westin Bayshore

Buckeyelotus
By Buckeyelotus,
in

There is no set rule regarding when to bid. If there is something going on on your dates or it is a busy time period in the area, prices may ramp up closer to your dates and waiting until the last minute may be a costly strategy. What would be your budget per night?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

I chose $65 since that seems to be the going rate for downtown Vancouver at the moment on priceline and would like to stay withing $5 of that. I am assuming that I was declined since it is still so far away and they probably have plenty of empty rooms. I have been searching and have so far not found anything else going on that week. (I always use this sites links when making bids)

Rates can vary quite a bit depending on dates/traffic/season and it's best to not base bidding decisions on reports of wins from other dates. The 4*'s currently showing on HOTWIRE for these dates are both showing at $119 (although the price you see may vary slightly.) Given that, I'm guessing you may have to bid (trying next at $70) up to the $80-85 level for a 4* on PRICELINE, and possibly slightly higher.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

Where are you from?

I live in Vancouver, BC and staying downtown isn't a must.

What did you want to do in Vancouver? I assume snowboard/ski/hit the mountain, considering your time of visit

Are you renting a car? if so, if you stay outside of downtown you can get a way cheaper room and just drive downtown.

City Hall - Downtown Vancouver South - Is only 5mins out of Downtown (driving)

It sucks because there are soo little zones to choose from.

I live near YVR (airport) and it takes me 15mins to get to the heart of Downtown Vancouver.

I wouldn't suggest staying in zone 9 though. It would take 20+mins to get to downtown if you end up getting a hotel in Richmond.

If you get a hotel anywhere along Marine Drive it will take about 15mins to downtown.

Hope this helps.

We live quite far away, and wont be renting a car so downtown is really a must so that we can walk and take public transport to get wherever we need to go. We are only staying a couple of days before we move further north on what will be ultimately quite a long tour of the coast. I am going to wait a bit longer since I do have some time, if I have to go higher then $70 I'll have to bite the bullet but at this point there is not rush! If you have anything thing thing that is a must do in Vancouver I'd love to hear it!

Ahh icic no car. okay.

How old are you guys? Are night clubs out of the question? What are you guys into?

You should think about taking our NEW =D Skytrain from YVR airport to Downtown Vancouver!!! It's faster than taking a taxi and wayyyyyy cheaper.

It takes about 20mins from the airport to Downtown Vancouver ! If you took a taxi (30-35mins) it would probably cost you $30-40 CAD one way.

Travel Times & Map Here

It's brand spanking new! I would seriously consider taking this to get to downtown! And best of all it's connected to our Airport (YVR)

And even if your hotel isn't near the three downtown stations you can just take one of our abundant taxi's downtown or just walk it. it would only take max 15mins as our downtown is small and everything is near our skytrain system. Chances are your DT hotel is on or near Granville street which is where the skytrain stations are.

Downtown

Robson Street - is the main shopping street of downtown. Almost all the stores are on that street.

Pacific Centre Mall - is the main shopping mall downtown.

Yale town - area for more mature crowds pubs etc

English Bay - It is one of Vancouvers Beaches.. but I doubt that would be a good idea because it's really cold this time of year...

Stanley Park Christmas Light Show and Train (Bright Nights) Link Here

This is pretty cool at night time. There are hundreds of thousands of lights all over the park. it's really good for kids and some what romantic to take a date.

The train ride is optional. Otherwise you can just walk around the park and look at the lights. Although walking around the lighted up section would only take 15mins...

the train ride is $8 CAD per adult and $5 for kids.

If you do decide to go, make sure you wear LOTS of layers. it gets really really really cold at night time. a base layer, t-shirt, fleece, sweater, wind breaker, glvoes, and a toque (beanie)... even with all of that you'll probably still be a little cold =/

Since you'll be in downtown public transit is really good. There are a couple "Sky Trains" you can use.

You can take a sky train ( Fare Rates Here ) to Lonsdale Quay (2 zones - $3.75). It is a market place that is pretty cool to check out. ( you need to take a sea bus as well, probably takes 25mins from downtown to lonsdale quay)

Metrotown Centre (Mall) - This mall is in Burnaby. It's the biggest mall in BC. It's similar to Pacific Centre mall... but if you want to do more shopping.

takes about 20mins from downtown to metrotown station via public transit

umm.. i don't really know what else you want to do? if you tell me kinda what you're interested in i can focus my suggestions a little better.

But other than the bright nights going up to a mountain for mountain sports Vancouver is just like any other city...

chris61417,

Please conclude this Priceline Seattle topic by posting the details of your winning bid in that thread.

sorry. just posted my results...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the info on the SkyTrain!! The book I have doesn't mention it so we were just going to take a Taxi in, it is great to know we can get in cheaper on public transit! Thanks for all the info as well, we are a pretty varied group ages going from 26-57 so it is hard to pinpoint things for everyone.

Have put in another bid at $70 over the last week (using this sites PRICELINE link) which failed, I will slowly be increasing as time goes on thanks to everyone suggestions on here.

• 4 weeks later...

While i'm sure hotels are busy with the upcoming Olympics, their businesses are not put on hold for later dates, so i don't think their focus on February is preventing your success for April/May.

There are at least two conferences going on during your stay above, the Wellness Show and the Pediatric Academic Society... but i'm not sure how big either is and if large enough to effect hotel rates.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have failed at $95 as well. I have checked out hotels in the area and they do not have price differences for that weekend compared to other weekends in April and May so I do not believe those conferences are affecting the rate. I do not want to spend over $100, is this unrealistic? Any advice would be appreciated (wait, don't wait, you're dreaming etc..)

Rates are not 'rock bottom' for your dates. As an example i took this Priceline Win where a 4* hotel was won for $65. Hotel direct rates for the date of that stay is $209CAD... rates for your dates are $249CAD, implying that demand, and therefore rates, are higher for your stay then when $65 was accepted.

To take it a step further, i searched four different 4* hotels in this zone and all of them are over $200CAD for your dates... so your bids are still under half of prevailing rates. Try to take the perspective of the hotel... they're not currently hurting for business for these nites (given that hotel direct rates are not the lowest we've seen them given the example above), so why should they sell rooms at too deep of a discount four months ahead of time, when there is a chance that if they hold onto them they may be able to sell it themselves at full/higher prices.

With this noted, rates are not that high for your dates and i suspet you're not too far off... perhaps another $5-$15 will do it, but given the scenario above, at the moment rates are not at their lowest and hotels are not currently willing to accept less than half price for their available rooms. If you choose to hold out and wait, perhpas the hotel(s) get some cancelaltions and/or the number of expected bookings over the next few months comes in less than expected... rates will decline and perhaps you can be successful at amounts you have already bid. On the other hand, perhpas the hotel(s) receive fewer cancellations than expected and receive more bookings than they anticipate... rates can go higher and you may wish you had bid the extra $5-$15 dollars.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts based upon the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

bcrrizo,

If you'd like help with your own stay freel free to start a NEW TOPIC as your dates are different than the OP's.

Also, please follow-up your previous Priceline San Juan and Hotwire Las Vegas threads with whatever you ended up doing for each of those stays.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

I have been watching hotwire, right now there is a 4* for $119 (Non Smoking, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business, Internet, Tennis, and Spa) I believe this is the Westin, please correct me if anyone doesn't think that is right. I am going to try another bid on priceline and we will see how that goes. This is getting to be more then I wanted to spend but Vancouver is a hot place right now.

If the HOTWIRE hotel above is in the Downtown West zone, then yes, the Westin Bayshore would be my best guess as well.

How high do you intend to bid on PRICELINE your next opportunity?

Please remember to use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purhase and searches.

Good luck and keep us updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on your success!

While more than you originally set out to spend, glad to see you're happy with the results and deal you received based upon these busier than usual dates.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]