Priceline Hotel: April 5-8 too early to bid?

Hope
By Hope,
in

I will be in NYC in April with 2 teenage boys and would like to stay in an area not too far from Times Square so walking at night won't be an issue for me. I think I can do this, but I'm still confused as to whether I will only get one bed using Priceline. I read that people ask for certain things, but do they do that when they bid or after they've gotten their hotel? Is Hotwire a better choice if 2 beds are needed? Am I too early to even be thinking about this?

Sorry about the stupidity..... :)

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Your questions are common ones... so there is no 'stupidity' involved. You're just learning a new system and way to book travel in order to save some money. We were all new at this once and asked a lot of questions. :)

Some 'take the chance' and use Priceline for more than double occupancy, but this is something that has to be in the comfort level of each user. Here are a few threads on the subject:

Priceline Quad Occupancy

PRICELINE FOUR to a ROOM

(there are a few other similar threads if you need more info)

It used to be that both Priceline and Hotwire only guaranteed double occupancy, but recently Hotwire allowed you to search for up to 4 people in a room (essentially guaranteeing 2 beds since they guaranteed sleeping accomodations for everyone in the party that you search for... it's guessed that worse case scenario there would be a bed and a pull-out couch, but i suspect the majority of the time, especially at higher rated hotels, you'll get the two beds your looking for). The downside is that Hotwire usually costs a little more than Priceline, but i feel if it gives you piece of mind and guarantees you'll get the two beds you need, then the extra cost is money well spent.

If you search HOTWIRE you'll see a few selections, in particular a 3.5* and a 4*, each for about $175/nite... i suspect that these properties are the Sheratons (Sheraton NY and Sheraton Manhattan). Both of these hotels i believe will give you the location, near Times Square, you are looking for, although i suspect you will be spending less time in that area than you think!

Don't know if this is about what you were looking to spend, but this is currently what i think is your best deal. As far as when to purchase, there is no telling if rates will go up or down between now and your stay, it all depends upon how actual occupancy levels compare to expectations, although i usually recommend purchasing when you see a good price and you know that your plans are firm... although i don't think you need to be n a rush for these dates (but don't wait until the last minute either!) Here is a thread with more details on this subject:

PRICELINE EARLY or LATE to ARRIVAL

Let us know if the above works for you, if you'd like help in determining which is the Sheraton Manhattan and which is the Sheraton NY, or any other questions that you may have. If you move forward with anything please use the HOTWIRE link above to book and let us know what you ultimately decide to do.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I guess my major concern was getting a hotel that only offered 1 bed. It seems that some of the web-sites I go to show hotels that only accomodate 2 people no matter what the cost. I'd be up a tree if that were the case.

I would be more than willing to stay elsewhere, only I don't know much about NYC and I just thought that walking around at night close to my hotel would be safer than walking through neighborhoods that are less populated. I certainly don't plan to spend many daylight hours there. Do you have any other suggestions? We'd like to see every inch that we can, don't care about relaxing, may never get back. We want location versus pampering. Breakfast would be great because of convenience but not a must. Easy to please, cross country campers at heart. (That is why I'm so un-hotel-wise!).

I will research more and check back in when the tree is down and the dust has settled from Xmas. This site is so helpful! Thanks for all you do!

Hope - speaking as a New Yorker (and a guy) I may be overly blase but there are very few areas of Manhattan I don't feel safe in at night - and those generally aren't in places you can bid on hotwire or priceline. DO watch out for the really cheap dormitory "bargains" I see listed on some of the off price travel agencies - East Harlem is not a neighborhood you wish to stay in, but any Manhattan Priceline zone should be safe. I would find the Upper East side or lower Manhattan to be inconvenient but not unsafe.

Enjoy your stay!

• 7 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]