Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) Millennium Knickerbocker

Bepo
By Bepo,
in

Hi, first time doing this here, so I hope I get it right. I'm looking at a hot Wire, 4 Star, NMA, WT, GC, for the 11th and 12th of Dec. Hotwire has one with:

Fitness Center,

Restaurant,

Business Center,

High Speed Internet,

Tennis.

Based on one or two I saw here, the Tennis would make it the Drake. But, one of the listing showed this as a boutique hotel. (wouldn't think the Drake is that.)

Oh, at $84 per night. What could this be?

Btw, what great site.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Is the above the complete set of amenities associated with the property you're being offered?

Searching HOTWIRE for your dates i see a 4* hotel in this zone offered with:

Smoke Free, Fitness, Restaruant, Business, Internet, Tennis

Is this what you're seeing on your own search? If not, are you searching for more than one room or for more than the default 2adults/0children?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unsure on the details of the smoking law as I don't smoke, but some hotels in the city are still not smoke-free. The Drake being smoke-free is - I think - something new, but I'd agree that the boutique label would be questionable for such a massive property. My other thought would be the Avenue w/o the pool (as the pool at that property is outdoor, and they may not be showing it during the off-season?)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

Unsure on the details of the smoking law as I don't smoke, but some hotels in the city are still not smoke-free. The Drake being smoke-free is - I think - something new, but I'd agree that the boutique label would be questionable for such a massive property. My other thought would be the Avenue w/o the pool (as the pool at that property is outdoor, and they may not be showing it during the off-season?)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

Not familiar with the Avenue, but looking at their web site, it looks good. Is it a 4 star also? Not locked into staying at the Drake, though we'd probably do tea here. Does the Avenue list tennis?

The Avenue was last reported as a 4* w/Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Tennis, so my guess (and it is just a guess) is that it may be the Avenue w/o the pool. The Drake would be another possibility.

Orbitz.com link: Orbitz.

Additionally, the Hilton Suites (while not 4*, a very nice and well-located 3.5* that is around the corner from the Drake) is $96 non-refundable via Expedia, and coupon code 10NOV gets another $10 off.

Links: Orbitz.com, Expedia.com

In terms of being further North, I'd go with either the HOTWIRE listing (which could be the Avenue or something else entirely - possibly the Drake with an alternate set of amenities? Any possibility would be further North, as this area is the North end of the NMA area) or if you would like a larger room, the Hilton Suites is a very nice deal for that property (and that is literally down the street and around the corner from the Drake.) One more suite property would be the Embassy Suites Downtown (although that it is more towards the river, if not as close as the ones below for $99 via Orbitz (minus 10% using coupon code REVIEW10)

With bidding on PRICELINE for a 4* for the River North/NMA area, you couldn't get the Hyatt, but you could get the Sheraton (directly on the other side of the river from the Hyatt, not a particularly good hotel in general), the Intercontinental (by the river), the Westin River North (river again), or the Hotel Sax (next to the Westin, also on the river.)

I figured I'd give Priceline a shot as I waited too long and the $84 NMA was gone. Knickerbocker is okay, right across from the Drake, and right off Mich Ave. Haven't been in in a while, but remember when Playboy had the original club there. Playboy offices also. Any, I thought $77 was okay, and it is, BUT, they had a sale for around $87 going on. Anyhow, did use the PRICELINE link here.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Sorry to hear the savings weren't that great on this one, but glad to see you're happy with the results and this will work well for your plans.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We stayed at the Knickerbocker last weekend on a Priceline stay and were very pleasantly surprised. It was the best of both worlds - elegant, traditional lobby, but modern renovated rooms. Beds are really comfy and the bathroom is very Euro. The toilet is wall mounted, and there's a rainfall shower with a handheld nozzle - no wall mounted shower head. Kind of odd, but fun. Staff was really friendly, too. Location was perfect for the Festival of Lights parade. We walked over to Michigan Avenue and got right in front for a completely unobstructed view. I think you will like the hotel.

Linda, thanks. Good to hear. I used to work N. Mich ave, and did work for Playboy when the corporate offices were in the building. Used to go to the Cape Cod room at the Drake for lunch, but never stayed at either of the hotels there. We also did the Dicken's feast at the Drake, but that got to be too much food. We have reservations for the Signature room at the Hancock for dinner the 2nd night, and the Peninsula for Tea the day we get in. Your review makes it sound like it's going to be a perfect visit. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]