Priceline Hotel: 4* Boston (Cambridge) Hotel at MIT

avial
By avial,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I think you maximum bid amount is going to be too low, if you look at 4* wins for these zones the prices are a bit higher (unless you're seeing something that i'm not).

I would suggest raising your maximum bid to at least $80 (or more... if more, we'll of course try lower prices first).

Let us know if you're willing/able to raise your maximum bid and we'll proceed from there. If not, we'll at least suggest a strategy up to your $70 figure, but i'm doubtful it would be successful.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I actually bit the bullet already and started on a course of action, but hopefully, I left myself some breathing space:

started @ $45 -> rejected

went to 50 w/addition of medford (2.5* max) -> rejected

went to 60 w/addition of brookline (2.5* max) -> rejected

options left: south boston (2.5* max), or cambridge (4* max), but also ok for my gf to stay at. I'm thinking i should go cambridge first so that I can get a free rebid on that when i use south boston for a free rebid...

I started my original bid w/downtown and back bay selected. I am willing to go up to $90, but would like to aim for $80 first.

have you (thereuare) looked into providing additional tools for the bidding community here, i.e. price averages for tickets, hotels, cars, etc? Do you feel that the addition of such tools would definitely dillute the community experience in that people will feel less compelled to post/participate? I would be interested in pursuing such a project, and may just do so for the heck of it, but would love to help out a community such as this one in doing so.

We're always interested in more tools (we already have some listed in the center of the white area near the top of the board). However, the problem with the tools that you suggest (as i interpret them) is that prices are based upon occupany (ie- supply vs. demand). Let's assume a hotel has high season where the room goes for $100/nite and low season where the room goes for $50/nite. If the number of rooms booked during high/low season is the same, you could see that Hotel XYZ goes for $75/nite... which isn't very useful. If i decide to bid the average during high season i'll never get accepted... do the same during low season and i'd pay too much. I'm always working and looking for new ideas for the board (as the above tools atest), if you have any other ideas please contact me via PM.

Back to your Boston stay....

Assuming Cambridge is just an 'after thought' if you can't get anything else, this is how i would proceed:

Select 4* Downtown and Back Bay and the re-bid zone you have not yet bid (South?)

Bid $70, if rejected add a re-bid zone and....

Bid $75, if rejected add a re-bid zone and....

Bid $80.

(if you follow the above by adding the re-bid zone you have not yet bid first the other bids will not be viewed as duplicate requests)

If Cambridge is prefered if it involves a lower price, i would...

Select 4* Cambridge....

Bid $50, if rejected add Back Bay and...

Bid $55, if rejected add Downtown and...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $70.

If you follow either of the above as posted, you will still have a chance to re-bid immediately and continue on towards $90 (if you so desire). Let us know how the above goes and hopefully you'll get accepted and we won't need to go deeper into a new strategy :)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I tried again for Back Bay, aiming for $80 but failed:

Back Bay 4* @ 60 -> rejected

added Chestnut Hill @ 70 -> rejected

added Medford @ 75 -> rejected

added South Boston @ 80 -> rejected

So I went for Cambridge and got accepted @ 60:

Cambridge 4* @ 50 -> rejected

added Chestnut Hill @ 55 -> rejected

added Medford @ 60 -> accepted

so there it is. Final total is $143.87 after tax and fees, so its like 72/night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]