Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Boston (Copley Square-Theatre District) Boston Park Plaza

pavemental
By pavemental,
in

Date of trip: 11/7/09 (Saturday, 1 night)

Preferred area: Theatre district, or within short cab ride of theatre district

(Priceline area in order of preference: 5, 9, 1, 6, 4)

Budget: would be thrilled to stay somewhere really nice (4*?) under $150 including parking

We're going to see a comedy show and want to either walk to the theatre, or take a cheap cab ride. We are open to a hotel a little further (like Cambridge) if the lower cost offsets a slightly more expensive cab ride.

What strategy should I use for Priceline? It's just my husband and myself, so we don't need 2 beds or anything. Should I start trying now, or is the pricing going to be better if I wait?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site. :)

It's not possible to know the hotel with absolute certainty, especially with PRICELINE, which results in it being difficult to determine what parking is going to add to the cost. Parking at most Boston properties is going to be expensive - $40 at the Sheraton Copley, for example. While rates may vary, in the $35-40 range for parking is likely not uncommon (it's the same way in Chicago, NY and DC, among other places.)

Additionally, is $150 w/tax or before tax?

The pricing may improve closer to your dates, but there's also certainly the chance that it doesn't - and when prices increase for hotels, it happens suddenly and there's no way to know whether or not they will go back down.

Let us know your thoughts regarding parking costs and tax, and we can go from there with suggestions.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

Thanks for your response! I'm aware of the parking likely adding at least $30+ to the cost, after having learned that lesson the hard way on previous Priceline stays in other cities. I only mentioned it because I'm trying to factor it in upfront. There are a few hotels w/parking included but they may entail a pricier cab ride so all else being equal I'd just as soon suck it up on parking & hope for a nicer place.

As for taxes etc--I'd like to call it $150 inclusive but am flexible.

I'm also open to staying somewhere dirt cheap but so often it seems that if you go for the cheapie room, by the time you add everything in you aren't that far off what you could get by taking a chance bidding low for a really nice room.

Also, do you know much about Boston? I was thinking we might like to stay in Cambridge--better restos/bars than theatre dist (IMO) and only a $9 cab ride...but some if the hotels could be way down at the distant end of the zone...

Thanks for any insight!

Preferred area: Theatre district, or within short cab ride of theatre district

(Priceline area in order of preference: 5, 9, 1, 6, 4)

Please list the zones that you're willing to accept, by PRICELINE name.

Did you want to bid up to your limit for your first choice in zone before trying for your next zone preference OR looking for the least expensive of any of the above zones, or are there a group of zones that you prefer over the others that you want to try for first?

Id suggest staying in either Copley-Theatre District OR Quincy Market-Faneuil Hall and then just taking the metro to wherever you need to go from there... if you return late at nite then just take a taxi back to the hotel.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed, and your maximum bid price, and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since you are staying overnight on a Saturday, you're lucky as far as parking. Street parking is FREE on Sundays. I suggest you do the following:

Once you confirm your hotel, you can either park underground across from Le Meridian Hotel - I think the hotel has changed names. Parking for the day is $9. Or you can park on the street, meters are for up to 2 hours. If you opt for the meters, you will need to feed them every two hours which may be a pain depending where you are. I think that after 8pm on Saturday is free. If you'd like, I'll be happy to direct you to your parking options once you have confirmed your hotel.

Thanks again for your response. Sorry for my delay in returning to this thread--it's been a crazy week. I have been poking around online a lot doing research but still haven't made any bids anywhere.

I've decided that I really want to stay in the Copley Square - Theatre District (Priceline zone 5.) That way, we could walk to our show and the restaurant we've chosen. 2nd choice is Quincy Market - Faneuil Hall - Financial (PL zone 9.)

My #1 hotel choice is the Radisson, 3* on PL. I've stayed there before & I love that they have balconies on all rooms. Unfortunately it looks like their prices have gone up this week so perhaps availability is going to be a problem.

I have been looking at Hotwire too but based on amenities it doesn't look like the Radisson is coming up.

My max bid is $105 at this point. I think I would like to bid to my limit in my first choice zone before trying again...and if I'm to go beyond my first/second choice zones I would lower my max bid significantly.

Thanks!

Oh, and Jimmy, thanks for the parking info! I don't want to feed meters or move the car much so if I have to bite the bullet and pay the full $35-40, so be it. *sigh* :)

At the 3* level in Boston you have TWO re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

I don't think the following bids will be enough, but with time on your side i'd begin with the following:

Select 3* Copley...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Copley and re-bid zone2...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $85

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, I followed the bid strategy except that I increased the bid amounts slightly.

I ended up getting the Boston Park Plaza for $95. Not my first choice, but it is what it is. :) The location is superb--we will be able to walk everywhere we need to go, so no T fees or cab fares. I have read the reviews & am prepared to ask for a better/bigger room if we are given one of the really small, shabby ones. It seems some PL users do end up with bigger rooms from the start, so we shall see. And even if we do end up in the low-end rooms, so be it.

As for parking: I think we will park at the Boston Common underground garage, unless I find an equally close better deal. Enter after 6 AM Saturday and exit by 8 AM on Monday is $22--that works! It is $11 if you leave by 8am Sunday, but I don't think we'll be in the mood to get up and move the car that early. :)

Thanks so much for all your help! I will definitely use this forum again and again.

Summary:

started w/BB PRICELINE link

Bid $70 3* in Copley

rejected, added Fenway, rebid $75

rejected, added N. Cambridge, rebid $80

reopened PL from BB link again

Bid $90 3* in Copley

rejected, added Fenway, rebid $95

Bid accepted, upgraded to 3.5*, Boston Park Plaza for $95

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]