Hotwire Hotel: Which Hotel?? Help

like2cruise
By like2cruise,
in

We are looking for a pre-cruise hotel March 19, 2005. We have a back up at the Embassy Suites for $113.00 per night includes cocktail hour if our flights are on time and breakfast. I just had Hotwire e-mail me that the 4 star hotel for that night has dropped $130.00 and is now $87.00. It lists for amenities as restaurant, pool, fitness center, business center. From researching here I have narrowed this to the Sheraton or the Hyatt. I am leaning towards it being the Hyatt since is lists as a Best Value and Customer Favorite. Would you agree with this assumption? I have read mixed reviews for all 3 properties. Anyone think the Hyatt is much nicer or better located than the Embassy Suites? Its current rate at the Hyatt site is $399.00. On the map they all 3 look pretty close to each other. Opinions from any one that has stayed at any of these hotels is much appreciated! I see on priceline that the JW Marriott can be won at around $50.00 possibly closer to the departure date. Anyone think that this is a better option that is worth waiting for to see if we can get?

Thanks as always to anyone that can help!

Glenda

The Sheraton has been a "customer favorite" for some time now. I don'tthink the Hyatt ever has been.

Unlike the "customer favorite" tag, I think the "best value" label varies based on the prices for you dates relative to other choices - in other words, the same hotel may be a best value for some dates but not others - so it's not a great indicator of what hotel you will bet.

For me it would pretty much be a no brainer to go with Priceline. As a former resident of New Orleans, IMO any of the PL 4*'s in either the CBD or French Quarter zone are as good the Sheraton or Hyatt, most better. I would bid for either zone or both now and just let 'er rip. You have 5 free rebids, so I would start lower than $50, maybe $44-46, and work your way up. The worst thing that will happen is that you'll get rejections.

Should something come up on PL (and it probably will, at least eventually), you can take the savings and eat with it. Embassy Suites' breakfasts are quite good, but the weekend jazz brunch at Commander's Palace is a one of a kind experience not to be missed.

I decided to take Travelguy's advice and try Priceline over the Hotwire option I have been looking at.

I started at $46.00 for a 4 star primarily looking at Convention Center and CBD zones. Used my free re-bids and went up to $60.00 typically in $2.00 increments except for my last bid when I jumped up $5.00. I did use the bidding link as SavingsBarn.com as always and appreciate Thereuare and Travelguy's advice. I will have to try and decide if I should wait awhile to rebid since I have plenty of time OR I am still tempted by the Hotwire which I am told is probably the Sheraton for $88.00 as I really like that area close to the pier. I am open to any critiqueing of my bidding. Thanks as always.

To add to your decision making, check out these REVIEWS of the Astor Crowne Plaza which can be had for $89/nite (including booking fees... so actually a bit less than the Sheraton and the REVIEWS aren't as stellar, imo).

And so that no stone remains unturned, the Alexa Hotel also can be had for $89 that nite.

I have been to New Orleans (loooved it... not the craziness and the drinking so much as the amazing food and restaurants) and haven't stayed at any of the above, but maybe one of the locals can comment as so the best value of the bunch.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Did you try the French Quarter zone? With a bid of $50 or so, if there's PL availability, the odds are overwhelming that you'll get the Marriott. (It gets less predictable the higher you go above that.) That's a very good hotel and location - should be just a quick cab ride to the Port as I recall.

Both the JW and FQ Marriotts have 2 day minimum stays on their website for that weekend, and you're checking in on a Saturday. However, I've seen a couple of recent winning bids despite similar circumstances, so definitely worth a shot at least.

Thanks guys!!! You are always so nice and helpful. I really appreciate that.

Thereuare~where can I book the Astor for $89.00 as the links take me to rates of about $219.00?

TravelGuy~I thought the Marriott was in the CBD zone? So after your post I went to look and learned there are 2...one in each of the zones. Is that Marriott nice? I'll go and check reviews.

Thanks again!

where can I book the Astor for $89.00 as the links take me to rates of about $219

I guess that $89 is a better rate than i thought. You can book it for $89 at THIS SITE (please use this link if you book this).

Scroll down to an "off the record" selection that shows for $89 in the FQ. If you read the description and it states "...where Bourbon meets Canal..." that is the Astor Crowne Plaza.

Let us know if you go with this or try Priceline again.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare~Not to doubt you, but are you sure the unknown hotel is the Astor and not the Alexa? From my research they are both in that area and possibly you can book the Astor and get the Alexa. As the Astor sounds perfect...for what we are looking for. I am just wanting a little more information if you know. Do you think we could walk to the pier from the Astor...we love to walk if it is safe, has easy

access and less than a mile or two.

TravelGuy~Before I book a hotel, I think I may try my one more bid for the FQ. I am doubtful due to the very limited availability, but like you say you never know. I hate to wait too long and miss out on this middle priced options which for us are still a good deal. Any of the ones we have been looking at are probably better than the Embassy Suites we are currently booked at from various comments.

I am interested from you Thereuare as to where we should have dinner the night of our arrival (nothing fancy, just good food) and where to go to get Benets (sp) for breakfast? I am told they are a must.

Thanks again to both of you. What a committment of your time to help all of us :)

Just to cover all basis, I did bid $50.00 on pl with all zones marked and no go for the Marriott in the French Quarter...I am still contemplating the Crowne Plaza. I just don't want them to bump me to the Alexa after I book. I had read that happened to a person in a review at Tripadvisor.com. Of course I have no idea of how they booked :)

Thanks again...I will keep you posted!

Chances of getting bumped (or 'walked' as it refered to in the hotel industry) are slim... but it does happen and can happen almost anywhere.

However, when it does occur you usually get a free nite out of it (which lessens the blow somewhat).

My foodie recommendations:

Dinner:

Irene's Cuisine- mostly a local's place and hasn't yet hit the tourist books.. but that doesn't mean it doesn't get crowded. No reservations accepted so go near when they open for an early dinner or expect to wait in the garage (yes, litteraly the garage, this is New Orleans afteall).

Beignets:

Cafe du Monde- i prefer as a mid-day or late-nite snack more so than for breakfast

Breakfast:

Camellia Grill- take the St. Charles streetcar to the first major bend (the river bend?). This is a great way to see the nice home of the Garden District and the non-FQ part of New Orleans. At Camellia Grill the omlets are mixed in Hamilton Beach malt mixers and pieces of pie are heated by splattering them on the grill. You'll be treated like an old-time customer from the moment you walk in the door (note: no egg whites... you get the whole egg or order somethng different)

Thereuare~I think we are going to book the Astor today. Thanks for your help. I called the 1-800 number and I am told it has a 72 hours cancellation policy. So it really is a great web site. If we find that Priceline will work for us as Travelguy was suggesting...we can cancel and get our money back 72 hours before our arrival. Is that how you understand the cancellation policy as well? Thanks again for your help including the foodie suggestions. Have you ever eaten at the Quarter Scene Restaurant?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]