Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Newark (Hoboken - Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

NinthElegy
By NinthElegy,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding!

First i'll add the disclaimer that you're not bidding for the Hyatt, but rather for a 3* hotel in the shaded zone. With that out of the way....

I think the nite of 12/31 is what is holding up this reservation. Fortunately a Hotwire search reveals a 3.5* hotel which is highly believed to be the Hyatt. This hotel appears for your entire stay at $134/nite, for 12/30-1/1 at $93/nite, and 1/1-1/3 at $66/nite (the prices on your own search may differ up to $10/nite).

This is how i would proceed:

Go back to Priceline and...

Select 3* Jersey City for 1/1-1/3 and bid $37.

(you can bid this immediately since it is for different dates than your previously rejected stay)

If the above is rejected stop and report back.

If the above is accepted i would then make the same bid for 12/30-1/1... although this is in all likelihood is going to be rejected.

If the 12/30-1/1 bid is indeed rejected... go back to Hotwire and buy it for $93/nite.

Of course the above assumes that you are ok with the prices presented. If not (ie- you don't want to spend $93/nite for the first two nites) post back before attempting any of the above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you so much.

One more question before I re-bid. My plane leaves on 1/4/04 at 7 am from JFK. I'm taking public transportation to JFK. My plan was to check into a hotel I found on Hotwire for 60$ at JFK, I'm assuming its Best Western for the night of 1/3 given my early flight. But I'm wondering if I should try and extend my bid at the Hyatt until 1/4 and explore my options for getting to JFK. Any advice?

I would think that inventory will open up sometime soon, but if you don't want to take the chance you can purchase this on Hotwire (but as you can see above, u're better off splitting dates as both purchases will cost you less than the nightly rate if you purchase the entire stay at once.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think 1/2 may very well be what's holding it up, as I got the Hyatt for 12/30-1/2 - so I would suggest splitting the bid accordingly. Hyatt doesn't seem to be blocking out 12/31 this year, unlike 2003, at least thus far. Also, I would try Priceline for JFK before Hotwire if you want to save another $10 or so. $51 or so should work. The BW is a 2* on PL.

Well, I tried splitting the dates with every conceivable combo going up to 43$ and nothing. It finally shut me out and I got this blurb:

Unfortunately, we could not find a hotel willing to accept your price. For an excellent hotel deal, check out available hotels below from our partner - Lowestfare.com:

So I guess now I've no choice but to wait 72.

Travel Guy and thereuare thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what happens. I welcome any other suggestions you might have.

I'll piggy-back onto this post... I need to book the Hyatt for very similar dates Dec 28-Jan 2.

NinthElegy, I am watching your bidding closesly to see how things progress. I'll start bidding in a day or two.

On hotwire, per each night, I am getting...

Dec 28 $153

Dec 29 $ 94

Dec 30 $ 94

Dec 31 $241

Jan 1 $64

for all five nights, $84 which is a steal considering individual prices!!!

I think this is how i would proceed given the new info. Although lowering your star quality to 2.5* opens up the Courtyard and Doubletree (and some other hotel that we don't yet know about?), these hotels usually have a higher acceptance than the prices that i'm going to suggest you bid at the 2.5* level (although they are still possibilities, so if you absolutely don't want to stay there than i wouldn't bid at 2.5* as outlined below.

Bid the entire stay of 12/30-1/3

3* Jersey City $37.

If rejected try 12/31-1/3

3* Jersey City $39, if rejected...

Lower to 2.5* and bid $55

If rejected try 1/1-1/3

3* Jersey City $37, if rejected...

Lower to 2.5* and bid $39.

Any questions feel free to ask. Let us know how it goes and if you tried the 2.5* rating or not... if you don't want to try the 2.5* ratings you can either :

1) skip that line of the strategy

2) use the prices i suggested for 2.5* for your 3* bid

Good Luck.

PS- with the rates increasing for 12/31, i would start thinking about what you will do for this date if not successful with Priceline or Hotwire. As well, would you be willing to stay at two different hotels on 12/30 and 12/31?

No luck with the above strategy thereuare and SKid. I'm thinking of just purchasing at 64 dollars a night through Hotwire for Jan 1-3. Since I'm a new Hotwire user, I read about some coupon that will give me 10 dollars off for each night. Thereuare second to Jersey City, are there any hotels you can suggest in the area from which it would not be too much of a hassle to access a ferry or PATH into Manhattan? I'm thinking about that possiblity for 12/30-12/31.

Thanks

All this flirting with the possiblity of not having any place at all got to me and I CALLED hotwire to purchase a room and was quoted a fee of 60 dollars a night for January 1-3. The website was quoting 64 a night so I feel a tiny bit better. Course I'm going to feel terrible about my blink if others who don't mind dancing on the edge come up with the 37$ a night for these nights-but so be it.

So now I'm just looking for a room for December 30-31st. I'm used to having a car and the idea of feeling trapped in a place bounded by highways does not appeal. Thus, I'm looking in areas where I can access public transportation into NYC. I welcome hotel suggestions.

The Newark Airport area would be okay especially if they have a shuttle to PATH.

Thanks

the relatives I am bidding for are stern about staying in NYC-MTW for Dec 30 to Jan 1st, the rest are fine at the Hyatt ... so, I have to dig up some deals this weekend before doing any bidding.

First time I have read about somebody calling Hotwire (NinthElegy) to purchase... funny how it landed you a cheaper rate.

I'm officially marking this as a Hotwire win for the 3* Jersey City Hyatt for 1/1-1/3.

Please start a new thread for the remainder of your stay(s). As well, please read these COMMENTS when you have a chance.

Squeegee, i seem to recal looking earlier today for those dates and saw the Grand Hyatt for $240 or so (don't quote me on that, but i'm fairly sure that's how i remember it)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]