Priceline Hotel: 3* Portland (Convention Center-Lloyd Center) Red Lion

lcf76
By lcf76,
in

I'm headed back to Portland later this month and after winning the Doubletree Lloyd Center for $40/night last weekend, I'm looking for a similar deal. My dates are 9/19 - 9/21 (Sat/Sun nights). I just bid the following strategy and was rejected. Give me an idea of where I should start for the DT hotels?

Bid $35 for 3* in Convention Center.

rejected, added South Waterfront District and bid $39.

rejected, exited the bid and started a new bid of $41 for 3* Convention Center + Northwest Portland.

rejected, added South Waterfront District and bid $43.

rejected.

I used your PRICELINE link.

If you want to bid for a downtown hotel now, I would start at about $40. If you'd prefer to stay in the Convention Center area, however, I'd keep bidding in that zone for the next week or two. Like the previous weekend, rates for these dates aren't very high; I think your best strategy is to keep your bids low and let the deals come to you.

Okay, here's the update from today's bids.

I did the same strategy for Lloyd Center as yesterday and bid up to $44 for a 3* and was rejected.

I started over again at $40 for DT 4*-rejected

$42 for DT 4/3.5*-rejected

$44 for DT 4/3.5/3* - rejected.

One question I have is can I go in the reverse order where I bid 3* then 3/3.5* then 3/3.5/4* as that would make more sense than increasing my bid and lowering my standards each time.

I'll keep trying.

PS. What other permutations of bids can I try to keep bidding on the same day? I thought it was interesting that I could bid LC + SWD, LC+NWP AND LC+NWP+SWD all in the same day.

No, you can't go in reverse order, but you can improve upon your bidding strategy (and i wouldn't suggest increasing your bid while lowering your price as you have done above)

Are the Covnention Center and Downtown zones equally acceptable or do you prefer one over the other? What is your maximum bid (at this time) at each star level in each zone? Do you prefer paying a little more for a higher rated hotel OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better?

Let us know the above and we'll try to outline a more strategy strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would prefer a higher star rating over a lower one. Both DT or LC are acceptable, LC by a slight margin as the folks I'm visiting are staying at a hotel in LC. I think my max bid would be the same for both areas which would be about $60 (Although technically I have to go to Portland so my max bid would be larger if I thought it needed to be). I'll pay up to $60 for either 3 or 4* but obviously I'd feel better about getting a 4* for $60 than a 3*. I guess I would lean toward the least expensive 3* over paying a little more for 4* to answer your question.

I would prefer a higher star rating over a lower one.
I guess I would lean toward the least expensive 3* over paying a little more for 4* to answer your question.

These are somewhat contradictory, so i'll try to ask another way...

The highest rated hotel in the Convention Center zone is 3*, Downtown offers 4*, 3.5*, 3*, etc. properties. Do you want to first try for a 4* up to your limit, then try for a 3.5* up to your limit, then try for a 3* up to your limit... OR do you want to starty by trying for the least expensive 3* or better in either zone?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

These are somewhat contradictory, so i'll try to ask another way...

The highest rated hotel in the Convention Center zone is 3*, Downtown offers 4*, 3.5*, 3*, etc. properties. Do you want to first try for a 4* up to your limit, then try for a 3.5* up to your limit, then try for a 3* up to your limit... OR do you want to starty by trying for the least expensive 3* or better in either zone?

I would rather start by trying for the least expensive 3* or better in either zone.

At the 3* level there are no re-bid zones available so i would try bidding as follows:

Select 3* Convention Center...

Bid $40, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $40, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 3* Convention Center and Downtwon...

Bid $43

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Have you take a guess at identifying the HOTWIRE property to determine if that property is also rated 3* by PRICELINE?

Do you want to stick with your current bidding strategy/limit for the time being or increase your bid?

Congratulatiosn on your success!

Glad to see you were ultimatley successful and came in below your original budget of $60/nite. Hope you're happy with the results and this property works out well for your plans.

Here is a comment from a board user who stayed at thsi property:

If you stay here definitely go up to the 6th floor where the Windows bar is. Panormamic views of Portland in all four directions. You don't need to order a drink to take a look. This bar used to be a hotspot for Portland nightlife I'm told. Way past it's prime now with just a few customers drinking and barren furnishings. Still worth it for the views and the 1960's/70's era the place evokes.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]