Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-Water Tower-Gold Coast) W Chicago Lakeshore

jicms
By jicms,
in

I need to accommodate 3 or possibly 4 of our family when we visit chicago from Sept 7 - 10 in the downtown area. I think Priceline don't give the option to request an extra room at the winning rate. What I'd ideally like is a suite room for all of us which I realise is a long shot. I'd like a 4* hotel but going by the hotel lists it looks as if there are more suite hotels in the 3* category. If I win a suite room that would be great but if not, if the room is very small or even worse only has one bed, would it be likely I'd get the same hotel if I immediately bid the same price and category again?

I'm wondering if it's worth taking a chance over HOTWIRE considering the lower wins with PRICELINE.

Also if a hotel provides a complimentary breakfast as standard do PRICELINE customers still get it!?

Please first go back and post what you decided to do for your New York City stay, Orlando hotel and Barbados stay (post in those threads, not here), then reply to this thread and we will be happy to then take a look at the above.

Many apologies. I have updated all these and also changed my email settings to instant notification!

Thanks if you can help.

Thank you for updating those prior threads.

The issue with PRICELINE is that there's absolutely no way to guarantee a suite property, and the main suite properties on the service (Embassy, Homewood, Residence) do not appear often. If you got a hotel that you thought might have a small room and bid again, you would likely get the same hotel - at that point, you'd probably be better off paying regular price for a suite.

If a hotel does provide breakfast, PL or HW customers do get it. However, breakfast is unfortunately something of a rarity at Chicago hotels.

What would be your budget per night for hotel?

Additionally, when I search for 2 adults/2 children on HOTWIRE for these dates, I do see a suite property (w/ a "Suite"/S icon) for $102 - a 3.5* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area, which also shows a free breakfast icon, as well.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

This price is around what I'd like to pay and this looks a good deal. Is it identifiable?

The only problem our "kids" are in their twenties! Does that mean the accommodation would be unsuitable as when I search for 4 adults this hotel isn't listed.

Re Priceline, presumably if the room's small the hotel would charge full rack rates to upgrade to a 4 bed or suite?

Thanks.

Oh. Then it's a matter of searching for four adults and the results will differ (and differ in price.)

Alternate idea: search for 4 people on Orbitz.com and the Homewood Suites (which I think is a wonderful hotel) is $139. Use coupon code SUMMERVIN (and that coupon may require using Visa to purchase to work) for an additional 15% off per night = $118.15

The Embassy Suites Lakefront (which is the likely HOTWIRE "Suite"/S property that was showing up when 2 adults/2 children were searched for on your dates) is also showing up on Orbitz for $10 more per night ($149), and you should also be able to use the SUMMERVIN coupon.

Personally, I prefer the better-located Homewood.

In terms of PRICELINE, if you have four adults, you may be charged more for a room with 2 beds (possibly an "upgrade fee") or the hotel could simply say no or they could work with you. There's no way to know for sure, as it varies by day, hotel and possibly even who you talk to.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or Orbitz.com links.

Oh. Then it's a matter of searching for four adults and the results will differ (and differ in price.)

Alternate idea: search for 4 people on Orbitz.com and the Homewood Suites (which I think is a wonderful hotel) is $139. Use coupon code SUMMERVIN (and that coupon may require using Visa to purchase to work) for an additional 15% off per night = $118.15

The Embassy Suites Lakefront (which is the likely HOTWIRE "Suite"/S property that was showing up when 2 adults/2 children were searched for on your dates) is also showing up on Orbitz for $10 more per night ($149), and you should also be able to use the SUMMERVIN coupon.

Personally, I prefer the better-located Homewood.

In terms of PRICELINE, if you have four adults, you may be charged more for a room with 2 beds (possibly an "upgrade fee") or the hotel could simply say no or they could work with you. There's no way to know for sure, as it varies by day, hotel and possibly even who you talk to.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or Orbitz.com links.

I'm still researching these but out of interest can you identify this - 4* in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast - $109

Amenities : Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High-speed Internet Access is likely to be. It says 3.5 out of 5 Tripadvisor rating. This is for 9/7 - 9/10 for a room for 4. It looks as if someone got this for the Avenue Hotel but said it didn't have a Tripadvisor rating.

Are you still seeing that property? I'm not seeing it when I search for 2 or 4 right now.

No, the 4* now showing for 9/7-9/10 in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast is now $113 (for 4)

Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Hi-Speed Internet, Spa

3.5 out of 5 on Tripadvisor

There is a 3.5* 3.5-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast for $117

Boutique, Fitness, Restaurant, Business Center, Hi-Speed Internet, Golf, Tennis, Spa

no Tripadvisor rating

4* NMA-WT-GC = Likely W Lakeshore (I like this hotel, but it is - as the tripadvisor reviews clearly indicate - a "love it or hate it" property.)

3.5* NMA-WT-GC = Likely Indigo (which is a favorite property of mine in the "under 4*" category, although keep in mind that it is not centrally located at the North end of the NMA area, in the Gold Coast neighborhood.)

Please use the site's HOTWIRE link to start your purchase.

4* NMA-WT-GC = Likely W Lakeshore (I like this hotel, but it is - as the tripadvisor reviews clearly indicate - a "love it or hate it" property.)

3.5* NMA-WT-GC = Likely Indigo (which is a favorite property of mine in the "under 4*" category, although keep in mind that it is not centrally located at the North end of the NMA area, in the Gold Coast neighborhood.)

Reading this I think it would be better to go for the Magnificent Mile area for a short first visit. Is it possible that the $89 3* Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet (no TA rating) might be the Doubletree? If so do HOTWIRE have to allocate four adults a two bedded room or can they give you a suite with one bed and pull out couch?

I do make sure I enter 4 ADULTS in the Hotwire booking but wanted to make sure I was comparing like for like with external booking agencies e.g. The Embassy Suites are advertised for similar prices to a similar standard HOTWIRE offering but that's for a suite with one bed and pull out couch. The two-bed option is nearly double the price. So if that's all HOTWIRE guarantee it might not be such a saving.

I would like suggestions of what the $89 3* Mag Mile Streeterville might be?

Thanks.

The Doubletree was last reported as a 3.5*.

The Hilton Garden Inn has been the only 3* in this area reported with these amenities, although it usually comes up with a tripadvisor rating on the detail page (although TA ratings can come and go.) Best guess if you got the HGI would be 2 beds.

That option has already gone!! I now only have one choice a 4* without a pool (which we want). They certainly come and go quickly!

I suppose the TA ratings only show when they're favourable.

No, the 4* now showing for 9/7-9/10 in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast is now $113 (for 4)

Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Hi-Speed Internet, Spa

3.5 out of 5 on Tripadvisor

There is a 3.5* 3.5-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast for $117

Boutique, Fitness, Restaurant, Business Center, Hi-Speed Internet, Golf, Tennis, Spa

no Tripadvisor rating

Just booked the W Lakeshore (using the HOTWIRE link). Think my girls will like it. It had gone down to $94 a night for 4 so pretty pleased. I'll post tomorrow - it's very late here!

I won the W Chicago Lakeshore. Booked using the HOTWIRE link.

9/7 - 9/10

$94/night, $324 total for 3 nights, room for 4 adults

Amenities:

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-speed Internet Access

Spa Services

3.5 out of 5 Tripadvisor rating

Thanks for all the help to get the hotel I finally chose.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad you were finally able to get a very good deal (especially considering 4 adults; given a rate that low, it doesn't seem like much in the way of extra person fees were added, if at all to the room price.)

One recommendation nearby is Fox and Obel Cafe and Market (fox-obel.com), which is a lovely cafe/gourmet market combo a few minutes South/SE on the corner of McClurg and Illinois.

Thanks for sharing your results with the board and using the site's HOTWIRE link.

Enjoy your stay.

The tax recovery charges and fees added were only $42.85 which seems to be the expected tax only. Maybe it was a temporary blip in the system!

I have added fox-obel.com to my itinerary!

Thanks again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]