Priceline Hotel: 3.5* NYC (MTE) Roosevelt

nocgirl
By nocgirl,
in

HI new here. Will use the PRICELINE link provided if I decide to go this route. NYC hotels are so expensive I was either going to book Priceline or stay in Newark where there is a couple inexpensive Hampton Inns which I love. Sister wants to stay in Manhattan if possible. Can we get a 3.5 or 4 star hotel in Manhattan for Oct 15th for 4 or 5 nights for 2 adults, for around $150/night? With the economy being bad have hotels lowered their pricing? What zone and what should I bid and what hotel should I expect? I did read the hotel list. There are so many zones in Manhattan but they really are only a few miles from each other right? How far apart is midwtown east and west? The subway pretty much takes you anywhere right? We just wanrt to enjoy nightlife, see a play, shop, dinner,etc.. Are prices in Chelsea or Greenwich a little lower? What zones do you recommend I avoid? I was in NYC a few years ago and already seen the statue of libery, empire state, etcs so I do not care to do that again.

Thx!

Kim

Welcome to BetterBidding!

It would be a mistake to stay in Newark, imo. You may be able to get a 3.5* in Manhattan for these dates for $150/nite or less (plus fees and taxes)... if not, a 3* would probably be availabel for this price. HOTWIRE has a 3* in the MTC zone which is believed to be the Park Central (notoriously small rooms, but it has a good location and is in Manhattan)

If Manhattan is out of your budget then i'd look towards the waterfront area of Jersey City where you can likely get a 4* hotel for under $100/nite which would be near a PATH train which runs 24/7 and is a 10-18 minute ride into Manhattan (this train rains very frequently during rush hour, every 3-7 mniutes, during 'normal' hours a bit less frequently at every 5-15 minutes, late nite (11pm-2am) every 15-20 minutes, and 2am-6am every 30 minutes)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Once your plans (dates) are firm let us know your thoughts regarding the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi, I've decided to bid on priceline first, and see what I can get in a couple zones. I'll take 3.5 stars in MTE, MTW, or Empire State (MTS). If I cannot get anything for around 150/ni then I'll look into booking the Hampton Inn Harrison Waterfront in Newark. My hubby just stayed there and said it really was not that inconvenient.

We'll suggest a strategy for the three zones you've mentioned, but is there a reason you're also not including the TS, CPS, and MSG zones? This area of NYC is so compact that most any midtown zone works fine for the average visitor.

I'll save my table stomping for later if you're bids above are rejected, but i'd strongly recommend against Newark and favor the Jersey City Waterfront... you'll go from something (using your husband's words) as "not that inconvenient" to something that is "super convenient". If you stay in Newark, how do you intend to get to the city each day? What is the rate at the Hampton Inn (as i suspect Jersey City will not only be more convenient, but cheaper too)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (and if you do choose to book the Hampton Inn direct with the hotel, please note as per our support page that we're an affiliate of this, and all the Hilton brands, please use our links there to begin your purchase)

Let us know regarding the zones and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok need some help. First of all I did not orig use the PRICELINE link provided on htis site, I totally forgot. So after my first bid got rejected, I remembered I need to use your link to get credit so I started over using the PRICELINE link provided :). I will continue to use your link. Is this ok?

All my bids so far have been rejected. I am bidding 3.5-4 stars stars in MTE, MTW, Chelsea, and Empire State Bldg. My bids up to 135/night have been rejected. Am I being a total cheap skate?I would rather not stay in TS too noisy and way too crowded but I will if I have too. I do not see MSG on my map of the zones, if it is convenient I'll take your word for it.

So what do you recommend I do for 4 star and 3.5 which zones and price?

Thx..

Rates can vary greatly from day-to-day, so just because somebody has won for dates that are close to your own, it could be meaningless.

Rates for this particular nite are high, and at the moment, i think you'll have a hard time finding success at $135 or under even if you add the Times Square zone.

What is the best deal you're currently able to find thru conventional booking channles? What is your maximum bid for this stay?

Right now the lowest I have seen is hotwire for $154.00 a night for 3 star Midtown Central. What hotel is this likely? I was hoping to get a 3.5 or 4 star for this in any of the above zones I mentioned.

3-star hotel in Midtown Central

This hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

High-speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

3-star hotel in Midtown Central

This hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-speed Internet Access

For future posts please post only the amenities (and not the descriptions) as you can see how much easier the quote above is to read vs. what is included in your previous post.

The above is a match for the Park Central Hotel so that would be my best guess.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

• 1 month later...

I did use the PRICELINE link provided by this website. Not sure I am totally happy with my hotel but I think overal we got a good deal. I bid $150/night for 3.5 star 2 adults for Oct 14th-18th and got the Roosevelt Hotel Midtown East. Reviews on Tripadvisor are all over the board to great hotel to terrible. Seems like it is old but a good deal. How do I add this to the calandar of wins?

Kim

Congratulations on your success!

This is a very good deal for what seems to be a rather expensive (at least on a lot of dates) Fall in NYC. As has been noted on the board before, keep in mind with Tripadvisor reviews that many of those people are paying as much as 50-60% more, and expectations may differ as a result.

Thanks for sharing your results with the board and using the site's PRICELINE link to start your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks and yes this seems to be expensive as I bid this exact thing a month ago and it was declined and I think I went up to $160. The lowest I have seen previously was 3.5 stars for $179/night on Hotwire so I think $150 is a good deal for Fall. Rooms appear to be a bit dated but people on the TA board said it is a nice hotel in a great location with a fabulous lobby.

Your win is automatically added to the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins and should be there now.

This hotel is near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city... makes for a relatively inexpensive breakfast among local NYers.

Thanks for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]