Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (MSG-Convention) Wyndham Garden Midtown Convention Center

downlikedisco
By downlikedisco,
in

I have been trying for about a week now to bid for something in the 3, 3.5 or 4 star range.

My bids are probably too low, considering the going rates for these dates. I have been trying to "lowball" as much as possible, as I have to take into account the currency conversion.

In case it's of use to anyone else trying for these dates, here is a breakdown of my bidding process thus far:

First attempts were single day bids for 3.5 and 3 star MSG (this area works the best for our plans). Have bid now up to $140 with no luck.

Bid 4 star MTE, ESB, TS (using 5 free rebids) up to $145, no luck.

Bid 4 star SoHo (added other areas, free rebids) up to $145, no luck.

Bid 3.5 star for MSG, MTE and ESB (using 3 free rebids) up to $145 , no luck.

Was not given any counter offer for these bids either.

Right now I've noticed a refundable backup in Chelsea for $197(+taxes+conversion)/night, but am still slightly hopeful that I can win something less than that on Priceline.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know the waiting game is risky, so at some point we're going to have to cough up the cash and deal with these rates!

Ideally we would like to max at $150. This is probably unrealistic at this point.

Our area goals/star level minimums:

3*

MSG, Chelsea

3.5*

MSG, MTE, ESB

4*

TS, MTE, ESB, possibly SoHo

The back-up reservation (via Quickbook) is at the Hampton Inn Chelsea (6th & 24th). It was $192 per night, and after looking into the favorable reviews on trip advisor, it seemed like the cheapest 'best' deal I could find. The pro's for this hotel would be the location (walkable to penn station, near a few subway lines/a path station) and that it includes complimentary internet and breakfast. It is only a 2* property, but we're not interested in room service, indoor pools, or overpriced bars/restaurants.

Using the hotel list not as a definitive guide, but as a reference, the rack rate various hotels in the areas that I am interested in range from $250 to $330 and beyond. With that in mind, I'm guessing that unless inventory changes..a bid of $150 would be the very minimum that would be accepted right now. I could be wrong (and I hope I am!).

My lack of patience got the best of me, so after about 2 weeks of unsuccessful bids I went up to our max of $150 and got the Wyndham Garden Hotel Times Square South.

This is the exact hotel that we were hoping for, so I am quite pleased with the outcome. The rack rates for our dates at this particular hotel are about $250 per night, so the discount is not as big as what others seem to be reporting for other properties.

I bid today 3.5* MSG $145, rejected.

Added 3* MSG $150, accepted.

Used the links, as always!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're happy with the results and this property works well for your needs. While a bit more than you originally hoped to spend, this is a pretty nice deal for this time of year.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]