Priceline Hotel: 5* London (Mayfair-Soho) Help Bidding

Guinn3sS
By Guinn3sS,
in

I've checked previous posts on this forum and noticed that a lot of people were able to book the Grosvenor Hotel in Mayfair for about $135 a night. I will be staying in London Sept 16 - Sept 20 and I would love to get this hotel for this price.

Last night I began bidding and I started at $100 and the bid was flat out rejected. I noticed some people have stated they were given a counter offer, however, I was not. Does this mean I need to bid higher tonight? Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Counter-offers don't seem to have a lot of rhyme or reason. A common one in Europe is $22. That number appears far more often than a calculation or some random factor would suggest.

Sometimes a bidder will get a counter offer, ignore it and bid again, only to be faced with a higher counter offer. Scare tactics, that one.

The ONE thing I think a counter offer does indicate is that there is something out there to be had, somewhere between your bid and the counter offer. Period.

On the other hand, I've bid merrily along with nary a counter offer, and all of a sudden gotten success. One just never knows.

The actual information you can take from the fact that your bid was "flat out rejected" is that at that particular moment, there was nothing in the PL inventory at or below your bid. So - yes, you probably need to bid higher. You've got a lot of time left, but I'd guess you won't get a London 5* for $100. However, I wouldn't bid much higher than the $135 for now, since the Grosvenor might not yet have released rooms to PL.

Two caveats:

Rates are VERY date specific, so maybe you could take a look at the rack rates for your dates as compared to the rack rates on the dates the other bidders were successful. That would give you an idea as to whether the $135 might work for you.

The $135 might need adjusted for the shifting relationship between our dollar and the British Pound (since the hotel will set a BP based rate for PL).

Romelle

The rate should go down with the number of nights you are requesting.

Not sure what you're basing this on but i doubt this to be the case. It's possible that the rate goes down if the nites you're adding are less expensive than the shorter stay nites, but there is generaly not a rule that the price goes down with the more nites you book.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]