Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) Westin River North

Belli
By Belli,
in

Hi,

I'm looking for some help with my upcoming stay in Chicago (8/1/09-8/2/09). I found a 3.5 star on Hotwire that appears to be the Doubletree. However, this hotel and another 4 star hotel at $110 are only available if I select that I am looking for 1 (not 2 rooms). What does this mean? how risky do you think it is to book them individually?

Also, in case this doesn't work, can you help me with a bidding strategy for priceline for the same trip? I would like to get 2 rooms at a 4 star in either Mag Mile or River North for under $100, or a 3/3.5 for under $85. I have been using the PRICELINE links all of last week and I wasn't able to get a 4star hotel for up to $101 or a 3 star for up to $85. Seems high to me compared to my bidding in the past. Is there a convention going on that weekend?

Thanks for your help!

Yep; I'm only seeing these when I look for one room. I would definitely not try to book them individually, as this would lead me to likely believe that there's only one available for each. I believe there is a convention going on on these dates. Unfortunately, if you have bid up to your budget max for a 4* and 3* in the River North/NMA area, there's really no alternate strategy that would produce a different result for that area. Have you tried the Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park area?

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links.

Bid at $130 and got the Westin River North for Aug1-2 for two rooms. I'm happy with this result, but I was surprised that this hotel is considered part of the River North area. It seems closer to the Millenium Park zone. I would have liked to stay further north-- closer to where the Knickerbocker and the Drake are, but I'm happy with the Westin.

Out budget was about $100 but we just decided to increase our budget because are only other option was to stay by the airport, which would not have been a fun way to spend 1 day in Chicago.

bid $110 River North -- Rejected

bid $120 River North + Ohare South-- Rejected

bid $130 RIver North + Ohare South + Lincoln Park-- ACCEPTED

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $130.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 2

Number of Nights: 1

Room Subtotal: $260.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $49.46 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $309.46 (USD)

I looked up the hotel on tripadvisor and it seems like there is self parking for about $22 between Clark and LaSalle on Kinzie.

I used the PRICELINE links. thanks!

One of the nicest 4*'s in downtown, with a sleek lobby. It was previously the Japanese-owned Hotel Nikko, and some elements of that hotel were heldover in the lobby. Congrats on an excellent win.

While I don't usually suggest trying for upgrades since PRICELINE reservations are not eligible, this is one hotel where I'd recommend "trying your luck" and trying to ask at check-in if any of the river view rooms are available, as the river view rooms (which are on the South face of the building - you could try asking at check-in if they have any rooms available that face South) do provide fantastic views of the river/surrounding area. I wouldn't pay beyond what you already have for an upgrade, but hopefully you'll get someone nice at check-in.

This hotel would be the South boundary (which is the river) of the River North area. Bin 36 is a nice wine bar across the street - recommended for a drink, but I'd have dinner elsewhere, as the River North area has plenty of excellent restaurants.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]