IL Chicago Red Roof Inn NMA

Lefty
By Lefty,
in

In many midwestern cities, this Red Roof Inn would probably be a 3 or 3.5 star. It's biggest problem, is being compared to so many other amazing Chicago NMA and Loop properties!

Recently-partially renovated. New tvs, light fixtures, furniture and paint. The wallpaper is very dated, and does detract from the overall ambiance of the room. The bedding and linens also seemed pretty worn.

Overall: A great value, 1/2 block from the stores of N. Michigan, with many many great dining, grocery, coffee, bar options within a short walking distance.

IE: Don't be afraid to go to a 2* in the NMA area in Chicago!

Seems to be a known destination for school, large youth and budget travel convention goers.

Small lobby, but with some decent seating and large screen tv.

Very friendly and courteous staff. No Priceline stigma, and a bad remote control was replaced within 10 minutes of a call down to the front desk. Staff mentioned that a full renovation was planned for November 2009.

Bare essentials: Basic Red Roof Inn tolietries; 50+ tv stations including HBO, HBO 1 & 2.

• 10 months later...

Overall, I think this was okay if one is looking for a place just to sleep over the nights. There was a nice flat screen TV with an okay number of channels including 2 HBOs. They had installed newer climate control in too though I don't think I got the hang of it and had to manually stop the air when it got too cold. Wallpaper was old and not too pleasing so far as the initial reaction to the room goes.

They had a coffee maker with 3 sets of one-use coffees/cups but only one of the lids fit the cups. They a selection of teas too. I drank my 3 cups on day 1 and they didn't replenish the coffee the next day.

Shower needed a bit of jiggling to work the first time but worked okay afterwards. Ample towels... some soap/shampoo. Hair dryer, which stopped working after a go.

They have free internet, but that wasn't too fast. I couldn't get it to work initially and the lady at the reception said she'd hook me up with tech support but it just started working.

They had a safe in the room, which said that there was a charge for using it. So, I didn't use it. However, later I read/heard downstairs at the reception that the charge was already included and if you didn't use it, you could get it take off. I doubt that'd happen through priceline.

It was pretty quiet and there were groups and even a conference contingent staying. There was no big issue apart from those minor amenities-type irritants. Perhaps that's part of what the 2* is. Okay for budget-traveling I guess. I'd use it again if I was doing a budget trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]