Hotwire Hotel: Chicago Hotel - 1 night (25th July)

niravns
By niravns,
in

First of let me tell you guys are doing an awesome job helping everyone here. Thank you.

I am looking for a hotel in Chicago (Tourist) close to Mag Mile or Loop as we would mainly be visiting Sears Tower, museums and Navy Pier. We are family of 4 and would prefer to stay in one room with 2 beds ot 2 seperate room (which ever seems cheaper). What would you suggest us as our bidding strategy or should I just use HOTWIRE for now?

I am thinking around 100 - 120 range for one room or 70 each if we decide to go for 2 rooms. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site. :)

I beg of you, please don't spend time at Navy Pier if you are only going to be here one night - it's a complete tourist trap, and time can really be spent better at the Zoo (which is a great zoo, and you can't beat the price - free) or at a Museum.

Are you driving? I ask because rates downtown are on the high side for this date, and if you are driving, there are some great hotels in the burbs that will be significantly cheaper (and offer free parking.) The downside is that you would have to drive downtown and park and then go from there to the sights you were interested in seeing.

As for downtown, the Hyatt - probably the most common PRICELINE win - is showing no availability, and that's saying something, considering the hotel's 2,000+ rooms. Other hotels in the Loop and Michigan Ave. are also showing sold out.

One suggestion I will make, which is a somewhat unusual property, is the Buckingham Athletic Club, which is $133 per night on Travelocity.com - certainly the cheapest of the upscale options via the regular rate service. This is a full-service, high-end athletic club with 21 rooms. The benefit is that the rooms are on the 40th floor, and that results in most rooms having a pretty terrific view of the surrounding area. Breakfast is also provided, as is use of the club. The downside is that I'm not sure if they have rooms w/2 beds and while this would be very close to the Sears Tower, it's a bit of a ways to the Mag Mile. Reviews on tripadvisor are good.

Please use the site's Travelocity.com link to start your purchase if this idea is of interest.

I don't think your budget of $70 x 2 rooms is going to be realistic for these dates, but you may be able to get one room within your desired budget. The problem would be that there is no way to guarantee 2 beds via PRICELINE for one room.

The suburban suggestion would be to look on HOTWIRE for Northbrook, IL for this date for 2 adults and 2 children. There is a 3.5* in the Northbrook zone for $66 (the price you see may vary) with the amenities: suite, breakfast, fitness, pool, restaurant, business, internet, golf. This listing has not yet been ID'd, but the only guess I would have would be the Embassy Suites Northbrook, and that's really the only thing I think this could be. You would also get free parking, versus the hefty parking in the city. The cheapest HOTWIRE listing in the city is a 3* for $126 in the Mag Mile area w/breakfast, business and internet (likely the Holiday Inn Cass.)

In terms of the ES Northbrook, that is a VERY nice, very upscale area with some nearby sights of its own (the Chicago Botanic Garden in a nearby suburb, as well as the historic town of Long Grove - which has the famed candy store.)

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

If you would like tips for bidding on PRICELINE for this date and are okay with 1 room that may have 1 bed please let us know and we will be happy to help.

Thanks a lot for your help. Yes we are driving and should reach chicago on 25th morning around 10 am. We are going to visit Sears tower, architecture boat ride. Do you have any suggestion for the architecture boat ride and should we take it in the evening (close to sunset?). What Zoo are you suggesting?

I will look at Travelocity link you mention and let you know about my progress. Is there any parking places in downtown (cheap) where we can park on saturday when we are site seeing in Chicago ?

Thanks!

In terms of cruises, I also like the Wendella Cruises, which leave from the opposite side of the Michigan Ave. bridge from the Chicago Architecture Foundation cruise tours. Cruise timing is up to you; I personally like to try and go early before the crowds, but sunset is certainly pretty (although it may be crowded with people who have that same idea.)

The Sterling Self-Park Garage

(located between Clark and LaSalle on Kinzie)

$24 per day

In by 7 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $14

In by 9 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $18 per day

After 3 p.m. and weekends - $6

This would be a good choice for parking on a Saturday, although their current rates are higher than what's above (call for exact rates.) I've never parked there (I don't drive), but this lot is popular because of its rates.

In terms of zoo = Lincoln Park Zoo.

This is really helpful. I saw Northbrook but it seems quite away from Downtown. I will also be visiting Bartlett, IL so do you suggest any good hotel between Bartlett and Downtown. We plan to do Downtown on Saturday and then visit Bartlett, IL on Sunday so staying somewhere between both would be awesome.

Thanks and I really appreciate your help.

Sounds good to me. What do you suggest in both of these area? Anything specific that you think would be a good option. Like I said 2 room cheap or one room that sleeps 4 (2 double). Should I go with HOTWIRE or go with 2 rooms in PRICELINE?

Any hints on what hotel HOTWIRE is showing. One is 3.5 star in Arlington Heights with Gym, Swimming, restaurants, Business center, high speed internet, Golf. It is $73 for 4 people.

I'm not seeing the 3.5* HOTWIRE property above when searching for your dates and 4adults, but the amenities you've listed to match previous reports for the Sheraton Suites so that would be my best guess for that one.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Elk Grove and Schaumburg area looks way north from Bartlett. Do you recommend anything in the Gleandale heights area or Oak Park or ElmHurst.. How are these areas. They seem to be right on the way on 290 to Bartlett and not that far from sears as well. Again It needs to be safe location and between Downtown and Bartlett so we can visit both places. I need to make the booking in next few hours and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, does all the hotels in O'hare charges for parking. I am seeing foor 4 and 3.5 star on HOTWIRE. Does O-Hare south or north are is better?

• 1 year later...

There are a few hotels mentioned above... which one (amenities) did you choose and which hotel did you receive? Do you recall the room rate? Some information (but unfortunately not all) will be available using the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of HOTWIRE's home page.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]