Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: HK$546

Taxes: HK$96.64

Processing Fee: HK$75 (per offer)

Total Lodging Charges: HK$717.64

$717.64 HKD = $92.1153 USD

Chris,

I was already booked into the Holiday Inn for one night on 29/12/05(my first night in Bkk) after bidding 24 GBP on he UK priceline.Like so many others I was hoping for the Marriott resort but got the HI instead.

Since then I have been bidding for a 5* in any area (up to 42 GBP)for over a month with absolutely no success........and then I saw your post and thought what the hell...why move...its not the Marriott or the Shangrila but at $35 who cares. Besides which come New Years Day I will be so drunk or hung over or possibly both at the same time??? that I probably won't even realise what country I'm in let alone what hotel!

I did a straight $35(273HKD) bid at 4* for this in any area and got it first time.

By the way before I had read your $35 post I had just put in an 18 GBP bid for a 4* any area on priceline UK after another failed 5*bid .

The bid failed so it would appear that the HK bid at 273 HKD/35 USD/19.42 GBP is about rock bottom...unless...?

Thanks again for your ground work!

Paul

Yeah, I think so... 35$ seems to be the bottomline for Holiday Inn Bkk... I tried before with 30 and maybe 32$ (don't remember 100%) - always been rejected. Indeed, I can imagine that 5star in this peak period is hard to get in Bkk. So you should be glad with the Holiday Inn - especially at that price!

Oops.. and yeah.. for Priceline UK/US, 40 US$ is the minimum bid for 4star level.. so you can't succeed there with a 35$-bid for a 4-star hotel.. that's why you have to bid 3-star there hoping to get upgraded to 4star (which can fail, however... see my Tawana Ramada post).

Yes I'm pleased enough with the Holiday Inn over this time.I know it gets mixed reviews,many on forums like this that are not so good but it is probably be compared unfairly with the Marriott riverside which is nearer a 5* than an average 4*.

I have stayed at the Marriott but not at the HI although I have eaten at the Holiday Inn Indian Restaurant which I found to be enjoyable. The Holiday Inn's location is for me at least is better than the Marriott which I find a bit too far removed from the main areas of interest.Trying to find a taxi driver late at night who knows where it is can also be a bit of a problem sometimes..

Yes, that's absolutely true... it's just the "problem" to find the Marriott Riverside in the 4-star category too.. which is really a 5-star hotel (and usually as expensive as the "PL-5-star" JW Marriott in marriott.com or other travel sites)...

If you want to spend a bit more for much more, I'd recommend the upgrade to executive floor. The free food in the lounge (breakfast and "snacks" in the evening) together with the great view to the Chao Phraya from the lounge is worth it alone. But I have to admit that I don't know the standard rooms - which look quite nice in the website... Strange the less expensive rooms (Plaza Tower) are renovated and the more expensive ones (Crown Tower) are not... (yet?)

Chris

I am tempted by the upgrade but for now I think I will save my pounds and put them towards more expensive accommodation on Samui and Phuket or a 5* in Bkk at the end of my break.

After all if you don't try the standard rooms you will never know what value for money your priceline bid actually represents.However from your post I can see that it looks good value for the upgrade so maybe I'll upgrade for my last night just for a comparison.

By the way when bidding on priceline hk in the past after failed bids I have on two occasions had a personal email sent to me from their customer service staff discreetly telling me how much more I should be bidding.

I don't think this happens on the UK site...what about the US.

Is this normal..has anyone else had this happen?

Yeah, that's not unusual... but that's what is called a "counteroffer" in Priceline US/UK - where it is done electronically sometimes.. - so you should consider this when they seem to tell you the "real" minimum offer price... - meaning better bid again on the web and just increase your offer a bit, but never to the price they tell you by e-mail :)

Thanks for the useful info Chris,

Must get back to priceline now..I need a Madrid Airport hotel on the 17 Nov and another hotel in Bkk on 19-20 Jan/05.

Not hopeful about Madrid..I can get a 4* (Tryp Airport) for 50 EUR on the Solmelia website.Don't seem to be able to get any cheaper on PL.

Will post any successful results.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]