Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Downtown-Harbor Island) Sheraton Marina

citycrab
By citycrab,
in

Hi there -- I am trying for a Del Mar hotel for 8/15 and 8/16. With the information I found here, I have bid for over a week unsuccessfully (using the PRICELINE link from here!) I checked on Hotwire, and they don't have ANY Del Mar availability for the night of 8/15. So I am thinking that night is just not in Priceline's inventory right now. They do have rooms for surrounding nights.

So, I guess my question is -- looking at past events, do rooms get added as you approach the date? Is Hotwire inventory a good indicator of Priceline inventory? Do I have any hope, do you think, of getting a hotel for 8/15 through Priceline in Del Mar? (I want to stick to Del Mar because we're attending a wedding and don't want to drive far.) I know there are no guarantees either way, but was just wondering from trends people have seen if I might have a shot in the future.

(FYI I started bidding on 6/11 at $50 and have been gradually increasing with re-bids and waiting -- my last bid was today for $76.)

Thanks for any insight and again sorry if this isn't in the right thread!

B

One cannot count on rooms being added at the last minute, and if HOTWIRE does not have any availability for these dates, there is likely something going on in the area during these dates to drive traffic. HOTWIRE availability doesn't necessarily mean that PRICELINE doesn't have any inventory, but it is a good indicator.

What have you bid so far exactly, and what would your max budget be? I'm not familiar with CA; is La Jolla too far?

Please use the site's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.

Hah - well, now I have a new question. In the few hours since I last checked (and I have been checking daily) I now see a Del Mar hotel on Hotwire! $179, 3 star.

Anyone have any tips about this development in terms of my bidding strategy? Should I keep trying with higher bids? Generally I have just been adding a dollar every time I can get a rebid/24 hours pass.

I haven't really determined my maximum budget, but the hotel set aside for the wedding is $110 so I would like to spend less than that to make my efforts feel worthwhile!

Oh, thanks for the information. I will definitely consider it.

I wasn't thinking of getting the hotel on Hotwire; I just thought that maybe it was an indication of rooms being freed up and perhaps being available on Priceline.

So far I have bid 3* Del Mar and added the zones with free re-bids that I knew of -- San Ysidro and Chula Vista. I don't want to spend more than $100 and was hoping for a Priceline deal around $60.

Thanks so so much again for the information; I will let you know what happens and what we decide -- and definitely use the PRICELINE links!

• 3 weeks later...

So I decided to book the wedding group rate in Solana Beach at the Marriott Courtyard for 8/15 and book a hotel downtown for 8/16 thru Priceline. Using the PRICELINE link, I bid $65 4* downtown, was given an opportunity to re-bid if I raised it by $17, then re-bid with re-bid zones to $67, and then to $69, which was accepted at the Sheraton Marina. A little disappointed because not everyone categorizes this as a four star, but hopefully it will surprise me! I see there are different towers and I can't quite figure out which one is more preferable.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I might re-visit bidding on the 8/15 night if I feel like inventory is opening up and I confirm my Marriot reservation is cancellable. Will post if that happens!

Congratulations on your success!

I think the main complaints with this property is that it's not in the Downtonwn area, and some who choose this area are hoping to be more in the Downtown area than the Harbor Island area, but regardless, for $69 i think it's a great deal and it would be hard to do better at this price outside of the opaque providers.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay and have fun at the wedding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]