Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Mag Mile-Streeterville) Doubletree

familyj4
By familyj4,
in

First time post-er here...

The Family (Mom & Dad, and 2 teen girls), are driving to Chicago next week (6/24-6/27). Trying to absorb all the information here, and find our best options. We definitely are planning to spend time downtown, but would appreciate some suggestions on whether it makes sense to stay there or in suburbs. Would prefer the best possible hotel (3.5 -4 *) for around $100. Realize that parking is another expense. Planning on sight seeing, Art Museum and shopping (yeah...2 teen girls).

Also new to Hotwire. Search gave me 2 options:

4* in Chicago Loop $82 (Fitness, pool, restaurant, business center and internet)

4* in Magnificent Mile/Streeterville $123 (Non-smoking, fitness, pool, restaurant, business center and internet)

Would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The Loop property is a match for the Palmer House while the Mag Mile property is a match for the Sheraton, so that would be our best guess for each.

Whether to stay Downtown or in the suburbs, it really depends upon the needs and budget of your trip, but i usually only recommend the suburbs if there is a significant savings and it's feasible for your needs. There is a certain 'feel' that you miss out on when staying outside of the city as well as the sense of freedom of waking outside of your hotel and being able to go anywhere by just getting walking or getting in a cab. If you're not stying in the city, it's not easy to stop back at the hotel midday to drop off shopping bags, freshen up, sit down and put your feet up to relax for a bit, etc, etc.

With the above noted, the suburbs are usually cheaper, so it comes down to your budget and what type of experience you're looking for.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the response.

We were leaning more towards staying downtown versus the suburbs, so we appreciate the good advice. Of the two properties and areas, does one seem stand out, and would one accommodate our family better, and sights we want to see?

Also, would you recommend trying PRICELINE for additional results?

I've read some about parking as well, and am hearing that Navy Pier is the cheapest. Thoughts?

Thanks again, really appreciated!

I actually often recommend staying in the burbs for those driving, as hotels are cheaper and parking is free, and there's some very upscale 'burbs with comparable shopping to what you would find on Michigan Ave.

Another user reported that Navy Pier has cheap parking, which very well may be correct, but I find it a little astonishing that the biggest tourist trap in the city has cheap anything. Again, I'm definitely NOT saying that that user was incorrect, it's just that that's very unlike NP.

PRICELINE is an issue because you would not be guaranteed 2 beds. You can use PRICELINE - and it would be cheaper - but you risk not getting 2 beds.

The Sheraton versus Palmer House is a difficult choice, as neither are among my first choices. The Palmer would be a better deal, but it's definitely a bit of a walk to Michigan Ave. shopping and the Loop area gets quiet at night. The Sheraton is one of my least favorite properties that I've stayed at downtown, but it's well-located near the Lake and Michigan Ave.

There's a 3.5* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area with the amenities fitness, business, restaurant, internet for $107 for these dates. This would appear to be a match for the Doubletree, which I'd rather recommend than the Sheraton or Palmer. The Doubletree is a couple blocks North of the Sheraton, so same great area.

In terms of the suburbs, there's a 3.5* in Northbrook (a very nice North burb) for $74.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE link to start your purchase, and let us know if there are any questions.

In terms of the suburbs, the North burbs have the Old Orchard (outdoor) and Northbrook Court (indoor) malls, both of which cover a lot of the same "ground" store-wise as Michigan Ave. There's also sights such as the Chicago Botanic Garden (chicagobotanic.org, in a North burb) and the Ravinia Music Festival (ravinia.org.), which is quite popular, as major acts often play there and it is a venue that actually allows one to bring in a picnic. The Indigo Girls are playing there the 26th & Diana Krall the 27th.

From the burbs, you would take the Metra (metrarail.com) trains (which are sort of like Amtrak trains; 2 levels, bathrooms, conductors) downtown.

It is great to stay downtown, but just thought I'd discuss what the burbs offer.

In terms of downtown, your teens may be interested in heading up to the Belmont area, as there are quite a few great thrift/boutique stores in that area which will allow their money to go further than on Michigan Ave. Additionally, there are also some options on State St. they may like (Nordstrom Rack, for example, which often has very good deals.)

Thanks again, and great food for thought. Still mulling over options for hotel Downtown and hoping for some help on some additions here. I could not find the Doubletree option listed when I looked. These are some that have showed up since. Not being familiar with properties either, opinions also appreciated.

4* $115 North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast (Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet, Spa)

3.5* $86 Magnificent Mile - Steeterville (Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet)

3* $79 Magnificent Mile - Steeterville (Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet)

THANKS!!

Sorry, no. My fault. We've revised our plans partly due to some suggestions here and are thinking of spending just two nights, (check-in 6/24 and check-out 6/26). We're going to spend the last night in the Oakbrook, Lombard, Naperville area, on the 27th.

I really should have updated my dates here, sorry.

4* $115 North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast (Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet, Spa)

3.5* $86 Magnificent Mile - Steeterville (Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet)

3* $79 Magnificent Mile - Steeterville (Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet)

The 4* NMA would likely be the W Lakeshore.

The 3.5* MM would likely be the Doubletree

The 3* MM would likely be the Hilton Garden Inn.

I'd recommend either the 3* potential HGI or 3.5* Doubletree. The W Lakeshore is a love it or hate it hotel (as is the chain in general.) I like the W Hotels, but can completely understand why someone would not - they are trendy, hip, boutique properties where the lobby essentially turns into a nightclub at night. The W is also a little too close to the lake; the Doubletree and HGI are a little more centrally located.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE link to start your purchase.

I used the HOTWIRE link from this site and booked:

2 nights ($86/night)

June 24, 2009 - June 26, 2009

3.5* Chicago Mag Mile

Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center High-speed Internet Access

Doubletree Hotel Chicago

300 E. Ohio St.

Chicago, IL, 60611

Looking forward to our trip. Thank you for all of your help!

Parking downtown at hotels is pretty much all 48$ / night. Look to the millenium park at $24/night but no in/out privileges. Just can back and it saved us a bunch! Someone else suggest parking at the airport (Midway or O'hare) and taking the train in after the family is all set up. Sound like a good idea. -E

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]