Priceline Hotel: 5* Amsterdam (City Center-Museum Quarter) Nh Barbizon Palace

abcd1120
By abcd1120,
in

Yesterday I started bidding (through better bidding) for a 5* Amsterdam hotel in the Museum/City Center area. I was rejected at $70 and $74. Today I rebid at $78 and was accepted at Nh Barbizon Palace. Reviews indicate that this really doesn't present as a 5* property. Considering that Priceline asks $222 and the hotel website asks $233 per night, it will do just fine I think as a tourist base, despite comments that this hotel needs modernization and upgrades.

Does anyone know: When one checks in under a Priceline reservation, is it clear to the staff what was paid for the room? I am wondering how much leverage one has if presented with a room that is egregiously unacceptable.

Thanks....

Does anyone know: When one checks in under a Priceline reservation, is it clear to the staff what was paid for the room? I am wondering how much leverage one has if presented with a room that is egregiously unacceptable.

When I was at the Barbizon recently, I saw no indication that they knew the rate. I got a room facing an interior column (= no view), but it was otherwise fine and dandy. The staff seemed reasonable, and were willing to accommodate room requests (=double v. twin, room for a third bed, etc.) Be warned that the third bed charge of 80-90 Euros is more than the price of bidding for another room. I think they'd be fine with moving you, if needed.

Congratulations on your success!

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding :)

Can you please post the dates for your stay so your win can appear in boards Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Sorry but I don't know if the clerk can see the the price for the room when you check-in. I do know that they can see if it's a PRICELINE or HOTWIRE resarvation. But i'm unsure about the price.

Yellowdog.

I'm not sure if the clerk can see the amount but in my experience they

know if it's a Hotwire or Priceline bid. Some people feel they get put into

a "Priceline room".

I'm more inclined to believe it's luck of the draw... last summer at a Hilton

in Paris the room was fine but showing signs it needed updating. Someone

who was there a week later and with a LOWER Priceline bid was in a room

described as sparkling new. So go figure.

Either way, when you're paying less than half price, it's hard to complain.

Rob

We stayed there last month and received a renovated room on the 1st floor. It overlooked the front of the hotel and was very, very nice for what we paid. The windows were new and we heard virtually nothing from the street. I especially liked the large selection of bath amenities. Its also a very convenient location across the street from the Centraal Station, trams, buses, canal tour boats, etc... We didn't try the breakfast at the hotel but instead went to the little Prins Hendrik cafe across the street.

No - The front desk won't know what you paid. They only know its a prepay. Maybe a PL booking, maybe not.

Back office yield management doesn't know either. They only know that PL bought the room at the contract rate. What PL sells it for is unknown to them.

You may have a paid $1 over what PL paid, or you may have paid $100 over.

They don't know and they don't care.

I was there last month and the first room offered was barely a 2*

I want back to the front desk and politely declined to occupy that room. After some banter they agreed to upgrade me to an exec room.

There is a remodeled section of this Hotel and there are the dumpy rooms.

I got a top level dumpy room but it was light years better than the original.

Good luck

T.

It sounds like not all the rooms are of 5* caliber. I appreciate knowing that I may have to do some negotiating if I am first shown a room that is in poor condition. Thanks for the heads up.

Just to confirm what others have said. From my PL stays I got the distinct impression that the front desk staff have no idea how much you have paid, only that the room is prepaid.

The Barbizon Palace is a lovely hotel in a great location. You have got a bargain. I have stayed there a few times and my rooms have always been lovely.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]