Buying $5 per room per night insurance?

abcd1120
By abcd1120,
in

I am beginning to work on bidding for a hotel in London. I know that Priceline and Hotwire are non-refundable, but it appears that you do have the option to purchase insurance that enables you get a refund in case of injury or illness or death. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. It seems like a very reasonable option for those of us who consider travel insurance something to look into. Thanks so much

• 2 weeks later...

I used to buy it regularly, but the first time I tried to use it was when my pregnant wife was having early contractions. Even with documentation from the hospital she was admitted to and her OB, they denied the claim saying her pregnancy was a pre-existing condition. :) Ever since then I've avoided it and if I miss 1/10 stays, I've already saved WAY more than I've lost compared to refundable reservations.

The claim was for one night at $65, so I didn't press it beyond the initial denial (probably what they were looking for) but it has soured my taste for the entire concept. If it were a multi-night stay at a 4* or 5* property I might consider it again, but I usually end up using hotel points for that kind of stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]