Priceline Hotel: LIH Kauai Convertible Alamo

lurch
By lurch,
in

I will be on my honeymoon in Maui, and then Kauai in August, and would like some assistance with rental car.

This post will be for Kauai, and I have listed the Maui details in another post.

DATES: Arriving August 8th at 4pm, departing August 14th at about 8:30pm. (airport code: LIH)

I have a cancel-able reservation for a convertible for $47 a day, total of $401 tax and all.

The cheapest rate for ANY car in Lihue is $405 (tax and all) for a convertible ($46 a day) from Dollar or Thrifty. (Strange that convertibles are cheaper than economy cars, but that's fine with me!)

I guess the issue here for me is that I would obviously like to pay less, but how much can I save? For example, if I only save $25 total, then I'd rather keep my reservation, because I have the option of canceling without losing my money. I guess if I had to place a value on the ability to cancel, I'd say that I'd need to save at least $50 total to make it worth it. Car rates in Kauai seem to be pretty insane- some places want $550 a week for an economy car!

Update:

I'm about to go to bed, so I thought I'd toss out a couple of bids. For this rental, I bid $35 per day, and it was accepted. My reservation rate was $47 per day, for a total of $401 after taxes. My new total cost is $324 tax and all, saving me about $75 on my earlier reservation. I tried my Maui rental first and was rejected (see my other thread), and the bizarre published rates on Kauai were so high, that I may have bid a little too high on this one. Anyway, I'm fairly happy- that $75 will buy me a few more Mai Tais!

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Glad to see you're happy with the results and saved a few dollars.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the car class that you did and the company which accepted your bid so that we can add this information to the topic title.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Have a good trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Car rates in Hawaii are out of control! The rental companys have cut back their fleets and are now taking advantage of the consumers. I would no longer wait until the last minute to bid a car without a back up reservation, as prices are not dropping like they have in years past.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]