Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Sofitel

JNR
By JNR,
in

I was in Las Vegas in March and 5 star hotels cost what a 3.5 star usually costs. Not so it seems in Manhattan.

Please suggest a strategy for 2 rooms for 2 people each in NYC, prefer to keep it under $180 so that when you add taxes and fees it will still be about $100 per person per room. For Priceline I prefer Times Square-Theatre or secondarily, Midtown West or Central Park South. For Hotwire I prefer Times Square - Theatre or secondarily, Midtown Central. For both Priceline & Hotwire I do not want to go lower than 3 star and prefer a minimum of 3.5 stars but I know that is hard with my price limitation.

Need two doubles or at minimum one king.

Including 3* locations in my bids removes the rebid zones. I’ve thought about this so much that I’ve confused myself about a strategy.

These zones have all star levels:

Central Park South

Downtown – SoHo- Financial

Empire State Building

Midtown East

Midtown West

Times Square – Theatre

Upper West Side

These zones have no 3.5 or 4:

Chelsea

Long Island City

Upper East Side

These zones have no 4:

Brooklyn

Madison Square Garden – Convention

Thanks for your help.

Need two doubles or at minimum one king.

You can't guarnatee either of the above thru PRICELINE... is this a dealbreaker?

If so, HOTWIRE will be your only option, searching for more than double ocupancy in each room, which will ensure separately sleeping accomodations for everyone, but be aware that the 'second bed' in the room could be a pullout sofabed, rollaway, etc, and not an 'actual' seccond bed. Would this be acceptable?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You can't guarantee either of the above thru PRICELINE... is this a dealbreaker?

If so, HOTWIRE will be your only option, searching for more than double ocupancy in each room, which will ensure separately sleeping accomodations for everyone, but be aware that the 'second bed' in the room could be a pullout sofabed, rollaway, etc, and not an 'actual' seccond bed. Would this be acceptable?

After I posted I read the FAQ on this issue and decided we can handle it as you suggest by calling the hotel and making a request after a winning bid. We will be in the city early enough that there may be some flexibility in assigning rooms. And...it's only one night. So, it's not a dealbreaker, either PRICELINE or HOTWIRE is acceptable. Thanks!

Are you currently willing to go up to a $180 bid for this stay? Is there a reason you're not including the MTE zone in your bidding... is there a particular hotel there you're trying to avoid? (do note that the W New York is in this zone and has notoriously small rooms, and their standard room is a room with only one queen bed)

If budget is a large concern (not sure if it is or not) would staying in Jersey City be of interest at all... i think you could get a very nice hotel there for ~$100/nite which provides easy access to Manhattan (although you do lose the "buzz" of staying directly in the city itself) and can provide for 2 beds in the room.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you currently willing to go up to a $180 bid for this stay?
Yes, up to $180. I'm making the arrangments for me and three others and I have already cleared $100 per head and would have to go back to all three before I would exceed that by much.
Is there a reason you're not including the MTE zone in your bidding... is there a particular hotel there you're trying to avoid? (do note that the W New York is in this zone and has notoriously small rooms, and their standard room is a room with only one queen bed)
We like to walk around town and MTE can be quite a trek. We're seeing a show at the August Wilson Theatre, 245 W 52nd St. Your info about the W provides a good reason, thanks for the tip.
If budget is a large concern (not sure if it is or not) would staying in Jersey City be of interest at all...(although you do lose the "buzz" of staying directly in the city itself)
No, we're going for the buzz.
I used your PRICELINE link again earlier this evening on a another unsuccessful rebid of first bid above when I realized I missed three rebid zones. (I got antzy to get these rooms booked.)

The first bid of $120 Midtown West 4* was rejected as a duplicate bid so I entered

$140 for Midtown West, Central Park South, Times Square, & rebid zone Upper East Side

$145 Long Island City

$150 Chelsea

$155 Brooklyn

$160 Madison Square Garden

Now I'll wait until my 24 hours are up and follow your strategy.

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW and TS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTW, TS, and CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

4* NYC (MTW) Sofitel $140

6/27/09, one night, two rooms

Your Offer Price per Room, Per Night: $140.00

Subtotal: $280.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $60.18

Total charges: $340.18

Sofitel New York

Midtown West

45 West 44th Street

New York, New York 10036

Patience frequently pays! I employed your bidding strategy using your PRICELINE link about a dozen times and decided to try one more time and then change my request to a 3.5* property. But I got lucky. Today's bid using the PRICELINE link:

$125 MTW & TS

$130 re-bid zone Brooklyn

$135 re-bid zone MSG

$140 re-bid zone UES

I am thrilled with the hotel, the location and the price. I'm really looking forward to staying at this property and then adding my hotel review to the forum. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your assistance. I couldn't have gotten such a great outcome without your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]