Priceline Hotel: Paris - Best Priceline Regions to Stay In?

Geeedavey
By Geeedavey,
in

I'm new to this site. I first used Priceline last year for two trips, both domestic. Will be in Paris in July for five nights. Can anyone tell me the best what are the best regions to try to stay in? We will mostly be doing the typical tourist things (Louvre, Notre Dame, Versailles, Picasso museum, Eiffel Tower, etc.). I will be bidding for four stars only. I know to avoid the airport zones.

If you want to be close in to the places you mentioned, the Champs Elysees, Opera East, and perhaps Eiffel Tower, or St Germain/Latin Quarter. Look carefully at the maps- the Eiffel Tower map extends to the other side of the Seine.

I would avoid Bastille and Batignolles/Montmartre because you could get some really iffy neighborhoods. I'm sure there are lovely places, but I can also assure you some of the worst parts of central Paris are in these areas.

La Defense/Neuilly could be really close in, or could be way out. Neuilly is lovely with full Parisian charm. La Defense is a high-rise business district which may not be the ambiance you are looking for.

Most of Paris is an easy walk to a metro stop, so generally you do not have to worry about being too far from public transportation. How long you want to be on the public transportation between your hotel and tourist sites is another matter.

We have successfully bid in the St.Germain/Latin Qtr/Montparnasse area and lucked on the Marriott Rive Gauche. Although not central, and has no real Paris charm, it is a solid hotel in a decent neighborhood, just a block from the metro Glaciere. And it has a garage, with easy access from the perimeter highway. (We drive in.)

I'm new to this site. I first used Priceline last year for two trips, both domestic. Will be in Paris in July for five nights. Can anyone tell me the best what are the best regions to try to stay in? We will mostly be doing the typical tourist things (Louvre, Notre Dame, Versailles, Picasso museum, Eiffel Tower, etc.). I will be bidding for four stars only. I know to avoid the airport zones.

I've done a fair amount of priceline for Paris over the years and I've gotten some great deals.

My general observation on your region question is that for all but one region (Opera Quarter East - Les Halles) you run the risk of being rather far from the city center.

Paris has a great transportation system and most of the wins I've gotten further out from the center are still in neighborhoods with nice Parisian ambiance.

Even with a great Metro though, you could spend a half hour or more traveling to the places you want to see.

Here are some specifics of some of my experiences:

- I hit a 3 star in the Montmartre region across from the Moulin Rouge. I can't even remember the hotel name and it's changed now anyway but it was ok as far as quality and price. The distance wasn't bad and there was a Metro nearby but the neighborhood was raucus and, er, not "family-oriented." I'm glad my companion had a sense of humor because there were several embarassing walks back to that hotel!

- Another time I hit the Meridian Montparnasse in the St Germain - Latin Quarter - Montparnasse region and that was nice, still in the city and since it was next to Gare Montparnasse the Metro connections and lines were plentiful.

- I hit the Hilton in the Eiffel Tower - Port de Versailles - Montparnasse region and while the quality was good it was in a rather sterile neighborhood. It was great to be next to Tour Eiffel but there were few cafes and shops nearby and the Metro line was not very direct so many connections were required to get places.

- I've not hit it but I often see horror stories where people get the Pullman Paris Rive Gauche in this region. Nobody seems to like it because it is way, way out from the city center.

- My best success and my advice is to bid only on the Opera Quarter East - Les Halles region. This is the only region that does not risk being far from the city center and many of the famous sites are walkable. If your destination is not walkable then there are plenty of convenient transportation options.

Bottom line: I try to bid only in OQE - Les Halles these days . In most cases everything I like is walkable from there and the ambiance, tourist spots and dining options are exceptional.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]