CA Napa-Sonoma Sonoma Hilton Sonoma County Santa Rosa

starbucksgirl
By starbucksgirl,
in

This hotel has been completely renovated (the front desk said that every room is finished now). I'm going to break down my review into sections so that you can pick and choose what you are interested in:

HOTEL ROOM

The room is absolutely beautiful. The carpet is done in a sage green color with what looks like a white fleur de lis in the pattern and the walls are papered in a cream and yellow diamond pattern. The bed furniture is done in a warm wood tone. The windows have white plantation shutters on them and the other furniture in the room is also done in warm brown wood tones. It is very complementary to the wine country atmosphere (they even have muted vineyard pictures framed on the walls in the room). The bathroom is papered in a light yellow with small topiaries in the design every foot or so. The fixtures in the bathroom are bronze and add to the rustic feel of the room. The countertop in the bathroom is done in a muted gray granite. Very nice touch. The shampoos are neutrogena. Nuf said. We asked for a room with a view and were given one that looked out onto the hills. The rooms either face the parking lot or the mountains. I don't think they can always accommodate the request, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you get one with the parking lot view.....don't worry, the property is really beautiful and there are lots of trees everywhere and if you're like us you won't spend that much time in your room anyway. The property in general feels like a resort. It does not look like a normal hotel. I actually think that this property is more like a 4* now. Very, very nice.

NECTAR RESTAURANT

We ate in the restaurant for breakfast twice. The food was terrific and the it was a pretty good value for the quality. We had a "made to order" omelette ($10) one morning that came with skillet potatoes (frozen) and toast and then ordered a fresh fruit plate ($3 and absolutely the best fruit I have ever had) and the next morning we had a belgian waffle ($8 very good but a little on the small side) and a side order of toast ($2). We had the fruit plate again and it was just as good as the first day. The service was a little spotty (just not polished) and the hostess was very stand-offish (typical CA attitude); she was a young girl but very inexperienced and unfriendly. We checked out the dinner menu and it looked fantastic. We didn't get a chance to eat dinner there as we were out and about in the wine country but I would have liked to have tried them for dinner (the two things I remember from the menu are the coconut-lemongrass mussels and the matchstick sweet potatoes. I can't remember the price of either item but it wasn't exorbitant by any means. The menu looked inventive and very reasonable. The view from the restaurant is beautiful. You can sit on the deck overlooking the valley and order wines by the glass and a couple of appetizers. You can also order a full dinner inside (there is a small section inside the restaurant but most folks preferred the patio).

This location is perfect if you are planning on visiting the local Sonoma wineries. We actually found it to be a very good central point in the heart of the Sonoma Wine Country. You are right in the middle of all of the wineries. The hotel is literally right off of the 101 freeway (about 1/4 of a mile away). Every wine region is about 10-15 minutes in either direction. We visited most of the surrounding regions (Dry Creek Valley, Russian River Valley, Chalk Hill, Sonoma proper, etc) and found the location to be ideal.

WINERIES

I had to throw in my 2 cents about the wineries in the area. If you are a red wine drinker I highly recommend that you visit UNTI vineyards. This winery was recommended by two other wineries and they truly make some delicious red wines. We also really enjoyed tasting at Ledson (don't forget to ask for complimentary tasting coupons from the restaurant waitress; she loves Ledson). Ledson was a wonderful experience. They let you taste wines in Riedel glasses (this is a unique experience if you have never tasted wine from these very expensive glasses; the wine tastes so much better). They have a wide variety of wines and you can only buy them at the winery; they do not distribute anywhere. They had some world class wines. The last place that I would recommend is J Winery. They actually pair small appetizers with their wines. It costs $10 to taste at the winery but it is worth every penny. The wines are good, the tasting is generous and the food pairs wonderfully with the wines. Enjoy!

• 7 years later...

I've stayed there a few times for as little as $58 via P/L. My last stay was @78, but that was during the busy season (late Sept) for wine country. As far as I can tell, it's the only 3 1/2 star hotel that P/L uses in Santa Rosa. It's nice, the beds are very comfortable. Ask for an end unit room, they're much larger.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]