Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Dupont Circle - Woodley Park) Omni Shoreham

robertbv
By robertbv,
in

Well, not altogether clueless but i have read a lot (from this board as well as other sources) and am still perplexed with DC geography - which makes using priceline difficult. I've been told by friends that Georgetown is the spot for restaurants and is, essentially, the place to stay. however, the internet wisdom on dc says that dupont is the place to be. ultimately, i'm looking to be a tourist by day but not stray far from our hotel at night. in other words, i'd like the hotel to be close to a "hip" area but not too far from required tourist destinations.

the topaz hotel was reccomended but, according to this site, i don't think that's an option with priceline (or hotwire, for that matter). also, i don't think that priceline has any 4* in georgetown. at this point, i've reserved the jurys washington hotel (Oct 11-Oct13, $145), but think that the omni in dupont may be a better hotel and that i may be able to land it for $80. can someone help confirm my research or clear my confusion? please? thanks in advance.

can't speak about the hotels, but definitely stay in DuPont Circle. It's trendy, elegant, tons of restaurants and quite safe. It's also on the Metro line, which will get you anywhere in a flash.

Georgetown is also pretty neat, but extremely touristy and full of college kids. You could visit there for a day. Or even get a fairly cheap cab ride from DuPont Circle. The big downside of GEorgetown is that it is NOT on the metro line and therefore hard to sightsee from.

Good Luck!!

Georgetown has a nice buzz of energy, but Dupont really is the more hip neighborhood. Known as the city's gay district, Dupont is also frequented by many hip heteros who admire it for its vibrant, fairly bohemian character -sort of like Greenwich Village in New York. It would be very easy to hop on a Metro and get to all the tourist sites from there, and at night there would be plenty to do nearby.

Jurys has a great location right smack in the middle of Dupont on Dupont circle. You got an excellent rate at $145, but, as you suspect, the 4* Priceline hotels in that area have been going for substantially less - around $90 lately.

The Omni is a very nice hotel, but in the old school style, quite different from the trendy Topaz, or even Jurys. It's also actually in Woodley Park, a substantially more residential neighborhood just about a half mile and one Metro stop uptown from Dupont. Woodley has it's own relatively short strip of restaurants and cafes along Connecticut Ave., and is also within a reasonable walk from Adams Morgan, another hip, energetic neighborhood (although like Georgetown, with a fairly young crowd).

Besides the Omni, the other 4* Priceline hotel you might get is the Westin Embassy Row. It's a quite swanky place that would put you within a very short walk of the Dupont action and a Metro stop.

Lastly, if you're looking to economize, all the 3* Priceline hotels that have come up in the Dupont/Woodley Park zone are good and centrally located. You might be able to pick up a 3* for as low as around $60.

The problem with the Georgetown/Foggy Bottom zone is that you'll almost surely end up in Foggy Bottom and not Georgetown. Although a convenient and pleasant area, Foggy Bottom definately isn't the same as Georgetown - and unlike Dupont/Woodley Park, there's no Metro that connects the two.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy the OMNI, as mentioned it's in the Woodley Park area rather than in DuPont but there's a metro stop about a block and a half from the hotel. DuPont is one stop away on the red line.

OMNI is a huge conference hotel but nice. You're right by the zoo as well.

If you're looking for dinner out within walking distance of the hotel, recommend New Heights right across the street.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]