Hotwire Hotel: Help identify NYC hotels

leebick
By leebick,
in

I am an old hand at Priceline, but know nothing about using hotwire. I have just found BB and am glad to have a friendly place for help with bidding questions. My daughter is taking a training course with the Rockettes this summer so we are hoping to find a NYC hotel that will cost less than the mortgage! I am interested in using HOTWIRE because I need guaranteed bedding for three, which is a dicey situation with PRICELINE in "older" cities.

DETAILS: Travel dates check in 7/4/09, check out 7/13/09. 2 adults, 1 teen (15years old). Daughter needs to be at Radio City Music Hall at from 9am-6pm daily, and sometimes in the evening. I THINK we'd like a hotel in walking distance, but am not sure as I've never been to NYC and don't know if using the subway during rush hour in July is reasonable/tolerable. I also don't know what the areas are like for walking to and from, especially in the evening. I am thinking Midtown West, MT central, MT east. Not sure about Times Square or Chelsea for distance. I would LIKE to spend less that $150 per night, hopefully with taxes included. A room with a kitchenette or refrigerator would be a plus; a minisuite deluxe!!

Seriously, if anyone can recommend a neighborhood where the hotels would be reasonably close to RCMH (< a half mile?), I would be happy. I just don't know how "close" those hotels over near the UN are...I guess I really need some confidence-boosting here, that I CAN do NYC.

She is 15...hopefully not above the age cutoff for a child.
HOTWIRE considers a 'child' between the ages of 2-17.

I too am seeing the 3.5* in the MTC zone (not MTE) and agree that the best guess would be the Sheraton Manhattan.

While this property gets lackluster reviews, it would be very close and an easy walk to Radio City Music Hall.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts (and if perhaps you're still seeing a hotel in the MTE zone or if you think this is indeed the property you were seeing) and how you'd like to proceed.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This might be the property- I am away from home and don't have the notes I took, so I could have mistakenly posted the wrong zone. The price is right, but I'm NOT going to buy this; "lackluster" reviews, and knowing we'll be there for 9 nights, makes me think I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi-

Hotwire has just come up with three suggestions for our trip to NYC in July (7/4-7/13). My 15y.o. daughter is taking a training class with the Rockettes so we are hoping to be within walking distance (preferably less than a half-mile) of Radio City Music Hall.

Here's what's come up; any idea of which hotels these might be?

3.5* Midtown East, fitness center, restaurant, business center, wireless, $109/nt;

4* Midtown East, fitness center, restaurant, business center, wireless, tennis nearby, $136 per nt;

4* Midtown Central, fitness center, restaurant, business center, wireless, $144/nt.

I can't remember...does the price Hotwire lists include taxes and occupancy fee? Thanks.

Merged the new post with the prior thread on the same trip.

The final price shown by HOTWIRE does include taxes/fees and is the final price.

Are you looking up 2 adults/1 child? I'm not seeing these listings when I look up with that combination, only when I look up 2 people in the room.

4* MTC - This could be one of a few properties, including the Helmsley Park Lane, Royalton or Warwick.

4* MTE - Either the Grand Hyatt or Intercontinental Barclay

3.5* MTE - Tudor

The Roosevelt is $139.30 on sale for these dates on Expedia for a room w/ 2 doubles. Use coupon code 10MAY for $10 off each night.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or Expedia.com links to start your purchase.

• 1 month later...

Just to put the final touch on the thread (I hate stories without endings...) We are staying at The Buckingham Hotel, July 4-13, 2009. Trip Advisor gives it good/OK mixed reviews, but I am going in with my eyes open; I know it's not a "real" hotel but a renovated apartment building, so there won't be the same amenities (i.e., no restaurant, no plush lobby, limited internet access, etc.). They ran a few specials and I was able to get a one bedroom deluxe suite with a separate king bedroom, living room with sofabed, full kitchen, dining area, 2 TV's, < 0.4 mile from Radio City Music Hall, for $159 plus taxes per night. I am very pleased with this- I will be staying for 5 nights with my 15y.o. and her 16y.o. friend who is also doing the Rockettes program, and then my husband arrives for the last 4 nights. Only drawback is staying with 2 teens and only one bathrrom! Thanks for all your help when I was considering PRICELINE / HOTWIRE. Bidding wasn't the best choice for this trip, but I'll be back for help and to bid on a quick Boston weekend later in the summer!

I'M GOING TO NEW YORK!!!

Lee

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]