spiky30
By spiky30,
in

Hi!

here my bidding history:

MTE 100$ rejected

added TS 105$ rejected

added MTW 110$ successful :-)

used your PRICELINE link, thanks for the support by your website!

recommendations for locations to get breakfast, lunch and dinner (steaks) close to the hotel would be appriciated.

As it is my first time in New York, I'm also interested in suggestions how to get from JFK to the hotel an June 2nd and back to LGA on June 5th.

regards from Germany

spiky

Congratulations on your success!

If you let me know what type of food you like, and budget, i'll make some recommendations... although with the mass transit (subway and bus) being fast and fairly inexpensive, it's pretty easy (and convenient) to leave the immediate area of your hotel for a meal.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICLINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi! Basically I'm open for almost every type of food. It would be nice if the breakfast would come with an italian style espresso (small and strong) :-) I'm searching for restaurants with a good value for money, one time I'd like to have steak for dinner. Dinner shouldn't exeed 50$pp.

regards spiky

I don't know any breakfast places around this area, and if it 'comes with an espresso', i can assure you that it's more included in the price vs. free. :)

Value eats:

One of the best values in the city isn't for the timid, but it is right around the block from this hotel:

(they have lamb too) where people start lining up at 7:30pm for the $6 platters... they serve until ~4am. Not the best meal in NYC, but probably the best $6 meal in NYC :) Throw on some white sauce and just a dab of hot sauce (and i do mean just a dab, you can always add more). Sit on the benches nearby along with the other <cough> patrons. One reason to do this is so you can splurge another nite (over your $50/pp budget) on a nice steak. (Southwest corner of 53rd and Sixth Ave... don't be fooled by the other carts/immitators, this is the cart to go to, at this corner, after 7:30pm (and they operate antoher cart across the street, but for some reason doesn't taste the same, stick with the SW corner location)

A good steak in the city, at a good steak house, will cost you more than $50/pp when it's all said and done. Everything is ala carte (creamed spinach, potatoes, etc) plus drinks, tip, dessert, etc, etc. and you're looking close to $75/pp by the time you walk out. Near your hotel is Delfrisco's, Ben Benson, and Bobby Vans (never been to the last one but have had my wife's take home from the previous two) and enjoyed them both... read up a little to make your decision. Of course, if you're a steak eater and can get a reservation at Peter Luger's in Brookyln (just over the bridge, you can take the subway and walk a few blocks) it would be worth the trip (and expense)

John's Pizza - 44th St between 7th Ave and 8th Ave - solid pizza in a nice atmosphere as the restaurant was converted from a church (high ceilings, etc) and two pizza stations where you can watch them make pizza as you wait

Arriba Arriba - food is "ok mexican" but prices, for nyc, are reasonable. Service is spotty (have had both good and bad depending upon how crowded) and quarters are tight, but a decent choice if in the area, and the margaritas are great (if not a bit pricey... don't bother with the smallest size)

If you like "deli" (corned beef / pastrami ) i'd head to the lower east side to Katz's for monster sandwiches. No need for table service, order at the counter, get a taste of pastrami, put a couple bucks in the tip cup, and let the counter person make you a monster sandwhich (probably enough to feed two) and then take to a designated table for those who ordered from the counter.

If you like burgers some like Island Burger (nearby on 9th Ave) but i wasn't impressed... my favorite burger in the city is at Jackson Hole Wyoming on Third Ave at 35th St.

Any questions on any of the above or if there's a food you're looking for in particular just let me know.

Enjoy NYC.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't really like fish (i wish i did :) ) and every time somebody asks me for a seafood restaurant i ask my wife who usually replies with Blue Water Grill. Their menu (with prices) is online and i'm guessing it will be a little over your budget too, about $125/couple. We also just had a very good meal (i had the steak) at Atlantic Grill and everyone in our group enjoyed their meal, but it's probably a little bit more expensive than Blue Water Grill. Both of these are run by the same ownership group, and all of their seafood restaurants are pretty good (i'm not fan of their mexican place (Dos Caminos), and they are a bit pricier than i caree to pay for dinner, but while on vacation or looking for a 'nice' restaruant, their seafood restaurants are a solid choice)... you can see all their restaurants HERE (look at the drop down menu on the top left of their website)

Enjoy!

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to give a short report and thank you again for the good recommendations.

The Sheraton Hotel was a perfect choice. Very central, so all main spots could be reached easily, most of them by foot.

I made it also to Peter Lugers and the steak there really was a great experience. We also found a great seafood restaurant: city crab and seafood company

The Happy Hour offers 1/2 price cocktails and oysters :-)

thanks for all the support in this forum

the next journey to the US is already currently being planned

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]