Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (UM/CPS) Park Central Hotel

xxxmerlin
By xxxmerlin,
in

Hi folks!!

I am a complete novice when in comes to priceline/hotwire in fact have never used before! so please excuse any noob questions.

I looking to book a hotel for 7 nights (11/15 to 11/22). I would prefer to stay in the MS, ME or MW area's ( would liketo be close to Macy's, EState bldg major attractions etc..)

My budget is approx between $140 & $160 per night, please can some advice on a strategy bid amounts etc.. I have yet to book a back up hotel also advice on that appreciated too.

Hey listen, many thanks for your help in advance. Please let me know if you require any further info.

xxxmerlin

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Don't worry about being new at this... we were all new at one time or another. :)

A few questions before suggest a strategy:

-is there a reason why you're avoiding the UM/CPS area? This is usually another good area. As this zone is usually a bit more expensive than others, I'm doubtful that you'd win a hotel in this area at the bid amounts you've stated (although it's possible); but including these zones will give you another bidding opportunity (which enables you to get as close as possible to the best rate... but i wouldn't add this zone if you really don't want to stay there).

-do you understand RE-BIDDING? If not, read the previous link and feel free to ask any questions you may have. If you bid 4* there are 2 re-bid zones available, if you bid 3* there is one re-bid zone available... see if you come up with the same number of zones.

Once you are comfortable with re-bidding and let us know if the UM/CPS zone is also acceptable we'll provide a strategy.

One more thing to consider: since this is an extended stay, is whether you're willing to SPLIT YOUR BID... let us know that as well.

I know this is a lot coming at you at once, so if you have questions reagarding any of the above feel free to ask and we'll walk you through the answers and/or any sticking points.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotwire has the following for your dates:

Midtown Central Midtown - See map 3* - $153

Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Fitness Center. View complete amenity list and description

This looks to be the Park Central

Midtown South Midtown - See map - 2* -$99

Selected amenities include: Fitness Center. View complete amenity list and description

Not Sure which this is

Midtown Central Midtown - See map 2.5*$164

Selected amenities include: Boutique Hotel. View complete amenity list and description

I am not sure which this one is either.

Hope this helps

By the way on Hotwire you just enter your dates and choose your location. I check this board's hotel list to try and determine which hotel it is.

It would be easy getting to Macy's... but to get back to the hotel with all the bags your wife has you carrying will make it difficult :) (maybe your goal should be to stay as far away from Macy's as possible)

Actually, it's about a mile away: 20 minute walk, 5 minute subway ride, or $5 cab ride (6-7 minutes).

The hotels in this zone (especially the 4*) are actually quite nice and if you get accepted in this area i think the deal you get, relative to traditional prices, will be very good. Only downside to this zone, in my opinion, is that everything in the area is expensive.... soda, pizza, sandwiches, etc. (but that's just NYC... nothing is cheap).

I'll let you decide whether UM/CPS is acceptable to you, just let us know and we'll supply a bidding strategy accordingly. Did you understand re-bidding?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If your initial bid is rejected Priceline will let you bid again immediately if you do any of the following:

-change check-in/check-out date

-lower your star quality

-add another zone

So yes, Priceline would let you bid again immediately if you added the UM/CPS zone, but since there are 4* rated hotels in that zone you very well could get a property in that zone. Since this zone is 'live' (from the standpoint that you could receive a hotel there by adding it), this is simply refered to as 'adding a zone' and not what we refer to as 'rebidding'.

Rebidding is adding a zone that only has properties lower than your star level. You can add such a zone to your rejected bid, and since there are no hotels in that zone that meet your minimum star requirement, you're essentially only bidding for your original zone. The graphic near the bottom of PRICELINE REBIDDING EXPLAINED gives a good visual of this concept.

From the link above:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process.

If this still isn't clear, here is an exercise i just had another user go thru and it made re-bidding clear for them:

List each NYC zone and next to it list the star levels that are available. In other words put a checkmark next to the first zone in the list, click NEXT, and write down the zones that are offered. Then click BACK on your browser, UNcheck the first zone and checkmark the second zone, repeat the process. Post all of this as a reply to this thread and we'll make sure you have it correct, and then we'll take the next step in explaining the concept of re-bidding.

Let us know what your re-bid zones are (there are two of them at the 4* level) or list the zones and star levels within each zone according to the exercise above and we'll take it from there.

Great!

Now let's imagine that you bid 4* MTE and are rejected. Priceline now states that if you add a zone you can bid again immediately.

If you keep your minimum star level at 4* and add a zone which only has hotels below that level (based upon the exercise you did above), then you couldn't win a zone in that area since none of the hotels there meet your minimum star level criteria.

So continuing with our example... if you were rejected at 4* MTE and add UWS (whose highest star rating based upon the above is 2.5*)... then you are really only bidding for 4* MTE again since no hotels in UWS meet your minimum (4*) requirement.

Does it make sense to you now? If not feel free to ask any questions that this new info may have raised. If it now makes sense, you can see if you understand it fully by answering the following:

When bidding 4* you have 2 re-bid zones available... do you know which two?

When bidding 3* you only have one re-bid zone available... do you know which one?

Let us know if things are clearer now and then we'll supply a bidding strategy. Just to recap, i know we're looking for a 4* hotel but if that fails will you wait and try again in 72 hours or would you lower your minimum star level to 3*?

When bidding 4* you have 2 re-bid zones available... do you know which two?

When bidding 3* you only have one re-bid zone available... do you know which one?

4* re-bid zones:

UES:2*,3*

UWS:1*,2*,2.5*

3* re-bid zones:

UWS:1*,2*,2.5*

If I have this correct, I think i understand the re-bidding process. If my bid fails I would prefer to wait 72 hours and submit again, if that subsequent bid fails then I guess I will have to downgrade to a 3*

Yup, you've got re-bidding understood now :)

My guess is that it would take close to $180 to be successful at the 4* level, but here is a strategy that goes up to your $160 bid limit above and your prefered zones of MTW, MTE, and MTS:

Select 4* MTE and...

Bid $140, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $145, if rejected add MTS and...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $160.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

No need to lower the budget as the following strategy will allow you to try lower bids first and slowly work your way up to your $160 maximum.

At the 3* level you only have one re-bid zone, if you're unsure of which one it is feel free to ask.

Select 3* MTS and bid $135.

If rejected add re-bid zone and bid $140.

If rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and bid $135.

If rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and bid $135.

Select MTS and MTW and bid $145.

If rejected add re-bid zone and bid $150.

Select MTS and MTE and bid $145.

If rejected add re-bid zone and bid $150.

Select MTW and MTE and MTS and bid $155.

If rejected add re-bid zone and bid $160.

Any questions just ask.

If the above fails i do think that you have a chance at a 3* within your budget in the UM/CPS zone. I'm not sure of the hotel that would come up, but a real possibility would be the Park Central hotel. You can read REVIEWS HERE and HERE.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Start with 3* UM/CPS and...

Bid $125, if rejected add MTS and...

Bid $130, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $140.

Select 3* UM/CPS and MTW and...

Bid $145, if rejected add MTS and...

Bid $150, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $160.

Good Luck with the above and let us know how it goes.

Congratulations on your win!

Glad to hear of your success... we're happy to have helped :)

If you need any help with NYC plans feel free to ask as i and a few others on the board are local to the area. There are also some general nyc tips and things to do in the NEW YORK CITY TIPS forum.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]