Priceline Hotel: 4* Vienna (City Center) Le Meridien

marnie_g
By marnie_g,
in

I placed a bid for a 4 star property at $80. I was given a one time offer to go up $22 to $102 so... I increased the bid by a quarter - I offered $86 - the reply was come up $22 - so I took the alternative and made a change to include 3 star hotels. It was stated that there was not much chance of winning it at $80 but a chance at $85 - so I offered $82 and was refused.

So I think that maybe $85 or a bit over might buy a $3 star. So I think I will try again in a day or two.

marnie

marnie_g

Thanks for reporting. Your approach is good. You almost always can do better than those counter offers. You have plenty of time too.

Don't be surprised if you bid maybe $83 for a 3* or $87 for a 4* (each $1 over your last reported bids) and you still get the counter offer of $22 (or even a higher number). Seems to be a psychological gimmick by PL to panic people into taking the counter-offer, when indeed another dollar or two might be the winning bid. $22 is sort of a magic number that shows up a lot on European counter offers.

If you are really ambitious, you could also keep an eye on the exchange rate of the Euro to the dollar. If the dollar gets stronger, you might not even have to increase your bid to get an increased amount in the Euros at which the hotel is set.

Romelle

I have tried bidding for 4 star & 3 star over the past 4 or 5 days - city centre and have gotten as high as $95 without any luck. Then I decided to just go for 5 stars city centre - at last moment just I added a $1 to make it $96 and got lucky with the Meridien. Very happy!

Thanks for all your help. :)

One of my favorite Viennese experiences there is the true Sacher Torte at the Sacher hotel. (In fact, I bought one boxed up to go, and carried it the rest of my trip, and brought it back for my brother's birthday.) But any of their wonderful pastries will do.

One of my less favorite ones was an attempt to eat at a university student cafe. I like to do things like that to get "for real" adventures. Anyway, mapped my way to the place. It turned out to be downstairs in an old building. Long wooden tables and benches. Outside was a chalkboard sign with something like "Taglish Especiality". My German is rusty, and never was that good, but I got daily special out of that. The only other word I got was "Lasagna". Sounded fine to me.

So I ordered it. It sort of looked like lasagna but was white?? At least in the style of lasagna, wide thick noodles and layers of stuff. What I had missed from the sign was the word for fish..... Seems it was Friday, and on that day the lasagna served was made with fish! Not bad actually, and probably reasonably healthy. Just a surprise.

If you are interested in such things, there is a wonderful museum devoted solely to furniture from earlier times. Quite a fine history lesson.

Have a wonderful time. Glad you scored such a good deal.

Romelle

I have tried bidding for 4 star & 3 star over the past 4 or 5 days - city centre and have gotten as high as $95 without any luck. Then I decided to just go for 5 stars city centre - at last moment just I added a $1 to make it $96 and got lucky with the Meridien. Very happy!

Thanks for all your help. :)

so you got the Meridien as 5star? (as the header still says 4star)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]