Priceline Hotel: Bidding help - NYC - 10/23-10/26

Gopherchik
By Gopherchik,
in

Hi! I have bid on priceline quite a bit, but I really really don't understand this "rebid" process.....could someone guide me through this???

Never been to NYC - we were told that Midtown West would be the best area - then Upper Midtown/Central Park South and finally Midtown East.

We are hoping to stay at a 3* and need two rooms!

Thanks so much - - -

Not sure who gave you that info, but I think any three of those area would be equally acceptable. MTE is usually the least expensive, followed by MTW, and then UM/CPS. You may want to give our write up on PRICEINE NYC ZONE DESCRIPTIONS.

Re-bidding is explained in this thread: PRICELINE RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED (with pictures near the bottom of the thread which often help users understand the concept)

If you don't get it, do this exercise and post back:

List each NYC zone and next to it list the star levels that are available. In other words put a checkmark next to the first zone in the list, click NEXT, and write down the zones that are offered. Then click BACK on your browser, UNcheck the first zone and checkmark the second zone, repeat the process. Post all of this as a reply to this thread and we'll make sure you have it correct, and then we'll take the next step in explaining the concept of re-bidding.

Once you get the re-bidding concept down (don't worry about asking too many questions regarding this... we'll take it one step at a time) we'll supply a suggested bidding strategy tailored to your maximum bid (please let us know what your maximum bid would be)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You did the above exercise correctly, but please do so for all the zones in the NYC area (not just the zones you want).

I don't think you would need to worry about a 2.5* having a shared bath (i wouldn't worry about it with a 2* either... although i'd have other concerns about a 2* hotel in a large metropolitan city).

You can try and we'll supply a bidding strategy that only goes up to $120 at first, but i don't think you'll have success at those prices. (do you have a back-up plan at the moment)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I see you replied as i was replying....

Here is all the info you typed already (in one post) and i'll add a reply to this post which explains re-bidding a step further:

MTS = 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4

Dwntwn = 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4

UES = 2, 3

UWS = 1, 2, 2.5

MTE = 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5

MTW = 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4

UMCPS = 1, 2, 3, 4

So, let's say for example that you bid for a 4* in MTW and are rejected, Priceline will allow you to bid again if you do at least one of the following:

-change arrival date

-change departure date

-lower your star rating

-add a zone

Now let's assume the first 3 arent' negotiable for you because you only want a 4* hotel and your plane ticekt is already booked so you're check-in/check-out dates can't be changed. That leaves adding a zone.

Now if you're keep your star level at a minimum 4* and add MTS you may get a hotel in MTS because that area has 4* hotels. However, if you add the UES, the highest quality hotel in that zone (based upon the exercise above) is only 3*, so if you added that zone and bid again Priceline would be searching for a 4* hotel in either the UES or the MTW zone... but since the above exercise revealed to you that there were no 4* hotel in the UES zone, you couldn't possibly win a hotel in that area... so it's essentially like bidding again for only the MTW area.

Does the above make it clearer? If questions still remain, feel free to ask questions. As a quiz....

There are two re-bid zones when bidding 4*, what are they?

There is only one re-bid zone when bidding 3*, what is it?

Get these right and we'll move on, otherwise we'll explain further. :)

There are two re-bid zones when bidding 4*, what are they?

There is only one re-bid zone when bidding 3*, what is it?

See if you can answer the above, i just want to make sure you understand the concept to make sure there are no mistakes made (and you end up in a zone you don't want).

Once you're set i'll suggest a strategy.

Great! Now you understand re-bidding... the above exercise of checking zones should be done before you sit down to bid each time to make sure that no hotels have been added, upgraded, downgraded, etc, which would no longer make one of the zones a re-bid zone. Hotels can be added, removed, upgraded, downgraded at any time... and that is why we want to make sure that users understand the concept and know how to check zones for themselves. If we just told users what zones to add, that zone's "re-bid status" could change by the time they bid and then they'd be upset with their results.

Now, back to your bidding, this is how i would proceed:

Select 4* MTE and....

Bid $100, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $110, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone#1 and...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone#2 and...

Bid $130.

If the above is rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and....

Bid $110, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $120, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone (there's only one) and...

Bid $130

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. Any questions regarding the above feel free to ask before bidding.

I would wait the 72 hours as there is no rush.

I'm thinking yo could be successful for a 3* at perhaps $160 or so (of course we'll try lower first), but that's my best guess as the area that you need to be price-wise. I'd also probably also open myself to the MTS zone.

That's my thoughts... but it's not me staying at the hotel so i would talk it over with the others in your party. Let us know what direction want to head and we'll advise how to proceed.

One more thing, i don't know who your traveling with, but keep in mind the Shoreham is a 3* property whose standard room can only accomodate one queen bed (and no rollaway) so that's something to keep in mind if sharing a bed with traveling mates presents a problem.

Hotwire has a the following for 2 rooms on your dates - but I am not sure which hotels they are.

Midtown South Midtown - See map 2*

Selected amenities include: Complimentary Breakfast. View complete amenity list and description $130

Midtown South Midtown - See map 2.5*

Selected amenities include: Fitness Center. View complete amenity list and description

I am going to try my priceline bidding again next week, however, would love some general information from you New Yorkers.

Say I stay in Midtown South or somewhere farther (Financial District - I have always heard is a lot cheaper). A couple questions:

What sort of problems is this going to create for transportation? We are planning on using the subway and will stay away from cabs. Do they shut down at a certain time?? Are they hard to figure out?

How about problems with staying in a nasty area? Anything that I should be overly concerned about?

Help. We REALLY don't want to pay more than 150 per night for a hotel. I have heard horror stories about bed bugs and nasty stuff like that on some of the lower quality hotels!

It's the Super8 times square... but rates are slightly higher for your dates (~$150/nite for a queen bed... slightly more for 2 doubles).

PRICELINE NYC ZONE DESCRIPTIONS

MTS is fine, Financial District is a bit 'out of the way' and won't give you a "NYC feel". Transportation runs 24/7 although i would recommend a tourist not riding the subway between the hours of 11pm (maybe 12am if you're still sober :) ) and 6am. Between those hours take a cab or if budget is a priority then the bus.

You can begin to study the NYC SUBWAY MAP before you get here, as well as the NYC BUS MAP.

It gets decent reviews, but it's a Super 8... not sure how much more can be said. They're known for basic accomodations. Although the reviews are good, this probably also has to do with guest's expectations. There are probably more negative reviews about NYC Hiltons, Sheraton, Hyatts, etc. because people expect more... although regardless of the reviews i would rather stay at one of the previously mentioned properties than a Super 8.

If the rate is cancellable than by all means book it (assuming you won't be adding to any finance charges on your credit card if they bill you right away) as it at least assures you that you'll have a roof over your head.

However, if 'push comes to shove' and nothing opens up for you on Priceline at $130, do you think you would ultimately raise your bid? Although i understand what it's like to be on a budget (and tight ones at that!) i would sooner (for example) spend $175/nite for a 4* hotel than $150/nite for a Super 8. For me it's often about value and i think the 4* at a slightly higher price represents a better value than a 2* at a lower price.... atlhough others would just be happy with a bed and would rather save the money. (neither is right or wrong... it's personal prefernce)

If you'd sooner raise your bid amount given the above scenario, than i would pick a date in the near future (you don't have to immediately since you have some time) where if you're not successful you'll begin to raise your bid to an amount that gives you a higher probability at success.

There is a Howard Johnson(Penn Station) for about $130 a night thru Expedia.

Also:

Quality Hotel on Broadway for $145

Quality Hotel Times Square for $163

Nothing in NYC lower than that through Expedia. Quickbook doesn't have much either.

I would say keep trying thru Priceline, using your max bid and covering all the zones you want the most, and start at 4 stars, then go to 3, then 2.5

Good luck, you should be able to get something at less than $150... maybe :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]