Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Palmer House

isotopes
By isotopes,
in

I have read some so-so reviews about this hotel but for $75 a night I think I will be okay. Does anyone have any tips for restaurants, bars etc near this hotel? The wife and I are taking a trip w/o the kids. I am also interested in getting cubs tix. Does anyone have any suggestions there?

The issue with the Palmer House is that it's an older/historic property (and a massive one that also caters a lot to conventions.) While there may be some other issues (in a hotel as big as the Palmer, you're not going to get the more personalized service of a boutique), I think a lot of people seem to have the preference of a more modern property when they travel.

Unfortunately, this hotel is in the middle of the Loop, which is (or at least usually is) very quiet after dark. For more nightlife and quite a bit more in the way of restaurants, I'd head to the River North area, just over the River.

I think you're going to have to head to a service like stubhub for Cubs tickets, as I'm not seeing really anything in the way of two tickets together for your dates, aside from the ridiculously expensive tickets.

I don't mind an older hotel as long as the rooms are clean. I have read some about the hotel and it sounds like as long as you don't get one of the tiny rooms it is pretty nice. We are planning on going to taste of chicago while we are there and it looks like we can walk from our hotel. I think it will meet our needs just fine.

I have been looking at tickets and I am a little concerned about obstructed views. I read on someone's blog that all the Infield Terrace Box seats are before the poles. I cannot find anywhere else to back this up though. Does anyone know if that is true? There are 2 tickets in section 218 for $100 a piece. That seems reasonable.

• 2 months later...

Hi isotopes--In response to your previous request I have some recommendations. My husband & I stayed at the Palmer House about two years ago on a "trip without the kids".

As far as the Palmer House goes, we loved it. The public rooms are spectacular and we even had a beautiful room! If you can get a corner room they are quite spacious for two people. We were more than satisfied, especially since we booked the room on priceline! Hope your stay is as pleasant as ours was.

I don't know what your preferences are with regards to food, etc. but we found one place within walking distance and a few others that were a short cab ride away (in the River North area) that I would recommend:

Orange on Harrison (75 West Harrison) is about 6-8 blocks south, near Dearborn & Congress Pkwy. It's a fun, funky Brunch place where you can get a variety of breakfast favorites with a twist. You can order custom, freshly-made juice drinks, and the French toast kabobs are killer. Check out the website for the full menu and an idea of the eclectic interior. We took a cab here, not realizing how close it was--we ended up walking back to the hotel.

http://orangerestaurantchicago.com/orange/html/

For a "splurge" dinner we went to Morton's Steakhouse (325 N. LaSalle), which is about a mile away--I wouldn't recommending walking this one, but the cab fare is reasonable. It's pricey, but it was by far the BEST steak I have ever had. The portions are very large, so even though my husband and I split a salad, steak, potato vegetable and dessert (all sold a la carte), we left STUFFED! It was definitely a memorable night!

http://www.mortons.com/

about a block away from Morton's is Frontera Grill--the more casual sister restaurant to upscale Topolobampo (445 N. Clark St.). The fare in both is somewhat upscale Mexican and it's fantastic. Owned and operated by celebrity chef Rick Bayless. Both serve lunch and dinner, but Frontera also does a spectacular Saturday Brunch! Make reservations ahead of time if you plan to go, though. They fill up quick!

http://www.fronterakitchens.com/

We also love Emilio's Tapas (Sol y Nieve) at 215 E. Ohio St. Spanish Tapas (Small plates of Spanish bar food) as well as wonderful Paellas! If you appreciate the tastes of Spain this is not to be missed!

http://www.emiliostapas.com/solynieve.htm

These others we have found on other trips and I would recommend them wholeheartedly but they are all farther away:

Smoke Daddy --Best BBQ with late evening Jazz--in Wicker Park

Kitsch'n on Roscoe--another completely original fun and funky brunch place with great food--Roscoe Village (Although I hear that they have one in the River North area that may be closer. I've only been to the one on Roscoe.)

The only club we went to for a night out, we caught a comedy show at Zanie's. It was SOOO much fun! I think it may be closed the wekend of the 4th, though.

Hope this helps somewhat. Not as much available in the Loop after dark, but not far to quite a few great things! We'll be in town around the same dates, if you catch any of these places, maybe we'll see you there! :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]