Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) W New York

lauraloop
By lauraloop,
in

Hi all

I was looking for some assistance in helping to identify a hotel on Hotwire. I've checked all of the usual routes, but can't find anything listed which matches the description.

The hotel is $159 / night for a four-night stay 15-19 December 2009 and it's described as:

4-star hotel in Midtown East

with

Fitness Centre, Restaurant, Business Centre, Internet and Spa

I've looked on the list of likely hotels and the one which looked most likely was the W New York but this now has a score through 'spa' so I wasn't sure what this meant.

Any ideas / help much appreciated.

Thanks

Laura

Welcome to BetterBidding!

This is most likely the W New York... it used to appear all the time with these amenities but then the Spa icon had been removed, and i'm guessing it is not appear/not appearing based upon some criteria of the search. The Tripadvisor info supplied by HOTWIRE is consistent with it being this property as well so that would be my best guess.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi everyone

While I've used hotwire before, I'm a newbie to Priceline, although I can't wait to get started.

In the next couple of days (after doing a bit more research!) I want to start bidding to win a 4* hotel in either MTE or MTW. I know it's against all the rules and stuff, but I have my eye on the Sofitel, Benjamin or Waldorf Astoria in particular. Yes, I know the Waldorf doesn't get great reviews but I like the old-fashioned splendour of it and if I get it for cheap enough on Priceline I'll be happy.

Anyway, I was wondering whether you have any particular strategies / tips to maximise my chances of winning these particular hotels, since I haven't seen a lot of other wins on these properties?

Of course before I start bidding I'll do lots more research to make sure I'd be happy with any of the results, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Laura

PS my dates are 15-19 December

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There is no way to target, or avoid, a particular property with PRICELINE... you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the minimum star level (or higher) that you select. If you're trying to target a specific property, HOTWIRE is often a better option, although it usually costs a little more than PRICELINE.

I'll also add that i would 'amost' forget about the Waldorf as it hasn't been seen thru PRICELINE in years.

Once you're ready to begin bidding, comfirm the zones you're willing to accept and let us know your maximum bid, we'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would expect rates higher than we're currently (Spring/Summer) seeing for NYC but not as high as needed in previous years (when NYC can easily fetch $200+/nite around Christmas time... although rates do tend to soften a little in the days just prior to Christmas)

Hi there

My preference is MTE 4*, as I'm happier overall with the selection of hotels there (and I've stayed in this area before), however we just want to be within walking distance of most of the main sights in Manhattan, so would consider CPS / MTW if you recommend it.

Thanks

Laura

If you're comfortable with the MTE properties then i would stick with that zone up to your budget, if unsuccessful, then consider other zones/options.

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and user our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone4...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and user our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone5...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $160

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi there

Thanks for all your help on this - have bid up to $135 at the moment but am having no luck. However, I've also been taking it slowly as I've been really chicken about adding the rebid zones in case a 4* magically appears in Brooklyn etc!

I have another question: I was primarily looking at MTE in the first instance but then quite fancied CPS too. The more I look at it, the more CPS seems like a no-brainer (if I can get it for the right price).

The choice of 4* hotels in MTE is bigger, therefore more risk of ending up in one of the ones with mediocre reviews, whereas the two 4* hotels in CPS (Jumeirah and Le Parker Meridien) seem to have really good reviews.

Am I getting confused or is it really as simple as that?

Thanks

Laura

Jumeirah is rarely seen as a win. The only MTE hotel I'd say gets really mediocre reviews would be the W, but that has just recently undergone (an apparently much-needed, if the reviews were an indicator) renovation.

Additionally, if you continue to bid higher, keep in mind the 4* in MTE on HOTWIRE for $169.

Thanks Aaron - I'm bearing this in mind and that's why $160 or so is my cut off point.

There are actually very 4* options coming up on hotwire - do you think it would pay to wait a bit longer if I'm not having much luck with priceline?

I wouldn't normally book this early, but it's part of my honeymoon so just want to get it all in the bag as soon as possible really.

Also, I know the hotwire hotel is most likely to be the W and am actually ok with this - when you read the reviews on TA, most of the complaints come from those who have paid high prices and have high expectations, or those complaining about the rooms being small.

If I get it for $160-ish, I'm quite sure it will exceed my expectations and in any case, I'm from Europe and am used to small hotel rooms! That's the way I see it anyway.

Shame about the Jumeirah - I quite fancied that...!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly anyway, will carry on and see how it goes.

L

Happy honeymoon :)

I'm not seeing a whole lot - Quikbook.com has the 3.5* Tudor on sale for $161 (although that would appear to be refundable - check the fine print) Other than that, there's really nothing much in the way of properties that you could book now and cancel later if something better came along. The Time Hotel is $193 on Expedia; that appears to be refundable (although with a $25 penalty)

There will definitely be people coming to NYC for Christmas shopping; if it's less than usual, that's still probably enough for hotels to bump up their rates, if maybe not as much as previous years.

However, if things DO turn around and traffic is higher than expected, prices will go higher than they are now.

If the HOTWIRE listing in question is the W, the lowest rate on the website is $388. The lowest refundable rate on the website is $449. So the $169 price tag would certainly be a good deal. While this property has gotten mixed reviews, it was just recently renovated.

So, you could take the HOTWIRE W Hotel now, or book a refundable (although again, check the fine print and there may be a cancelation fee like the $25 Expedia charge) purchase and "wait it out" to see if other deals come along.

That's fab - thanks so much for looking into this!

I've never heard of that other website Quikbook or whatever it is, so will definitely check it out as the Tudor is a good choice.

I've been reading all about the current friends and family offer at Fairmont hotels and am gutted that you can only book 90 days in advance, otherwise I'd be blowing the budget and booking us into the Plaza for $220/night or whatever it's currently available for!

Thanks again

Laura

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Glad you're happy with the outcome and the board was helpful with your purchase.

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel purchases.

Enjoy you stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]