Czech Republic Prague Renaissance Hotel

zackeroo
By zackeroo,
in

Just returned from the trip. I booked through Priceline for one night June 14 (I think I got it for $90 before taxes). The hotel is located across from the Marriott (same ownership). Reception was not able to offer me a nonsmoking room with queen or king bed even though I had sent in the request previously. So I ended up with a nonsmoking room with 2 twins. Modern, clean hotel, what you would expect from a Marriott, no more, no less. I think the location of the hotel is the best feature, very close to old town and steps away from a tram line. Having been there for 5 days, I would definitely recommend staying in old town as opposed to the castle district and further away.

I only stayed there for one night because I wanted a boutique hotel and I was able to snag a great deal at Hotel Central, part of the K&K chain. Brand new room at 100 euros with breakfast, free internet and free minibar! (rack rate is over 260 euros). It was only 2 streets away from the Renaissance. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• 1 month later...

Stayed via priceline in both houses now for overall one week. Overall, I would say, the Marriott is the better house of the two - mostly because its a newer hotel (1999) while the Renaissance is still in the end 80s-begin 90s style, a bit old fashioned already.

Both are in the same street in the city center (Praha 1), almost exactly opposite of each other, so convieniant if you have bad luck in priceline and have to change the hotels during the stay (what happened to me, as i had bid for several periods of one week and sometimes got the Marriott, sometimes the Renaissance - This was an extremely busy week in Prague now, Ice hockey world cup and EU joining date). A metro station (Namesti Republiki) is just below both hotels.

The service level in both hotels is quite nice and on deluxe level. In Renaissance they did evening turndown service every day in my room without asking for it - while in the room of my colleague who had a non smoking room they didnt. Each time I got a quite nice double room in the front part of the building, quite large and the furniture was alright (queen size bed, tv, desk, 1 comfortable chair, 1 chair, minibar, steam iron, bath tub..etc.). They charge 18.50 EUR for breakfast buffet (american), 14.50 EUR for continental.. thats why we didnt have breakfast in the hotel. Its extremely difficult to find a cafe outside near the hotels where you can get breakfast before 9am... so we left the hotel every day without breakfast (business trip).

The Marriotts lobby is much nice and in typical high class marriott style. Makes quite a difference to the Renaissance lobby. You can use the elevators to the rooms only after putting your keycard in the slot in the elevator. The rooms are a bit different.. so first time I had an extremely nice room with two queen size beds facing the street, a little "Erker" (dont know the english word, sorry) with two comfortable chairs and table, the rest is standard Marriott furniture (TV cupboard, minibar, steam iron etc.). No tea/coffee facilities in the rooms (same as Renaissance). The bathrooms are much nicer in the Marriott as well, nice lightning, nice large mirrors, though the bath tube seemed a bit small to me. Turndown service only on request. Second time they wanted to give me smaller room in the back facing the inner courtyard, so I wanted another room and took the offer to upgrade to executive floor room for additional 50 EUR a night. Well, the room was quite the same than the room i had before, just same plants, more bathing amenities in the bath room, a rose in the bathroom, regular turndown service in the evening. Access to the executive lounge (6th and 7th floor), which is nice, two internet terminals free to use, smoking area in the first floor of the lounge, non smoking area and bar/breakfast/buffet/area in the second floor of the lounge. The breakfast buffet is ok, but only "upgraded continental breakfast", so no american breakfast, and the lounge was really crowded during the two days for breakfast (but maybe because the hotel was almost fully booked now), difficult to find an available seat there. Breakfast in the lounge only till 10am, not 11am as in the lobby restaurant for breakfast. The evening buffet is a bit small, only 1 to 2 warm food, some snacks etc.. - have had much better experiences with other Marriotts here. So finally, I would say the 50 EUR upgrade charge is not worth the money. However, the Marriott is a very nice hotel, 5star for sure - while the renaissance has the less attractive rooms and overall interior. Service level in both hotels is about the same.

Both have fitness and inhouse pools.. but havent been there.

Pictures of Prague Marriott:

1092259407.jpg

1092259468.jpg

1092259442.jpg

1092259371.jpg

Pictures of Prague Renaissance:

1092259640.jpg

1092259784.jpg

1092259613.jpg

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]