Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USE) Westin St Francis

esta
By esta,
in

I am looking at the above.

Narrowed down to USE as there are only 2 hotels reported, Grand Hyatt and Westin.

What's the bidding strategy if I just select this area when bidding at Priceline. Is that a peak period in San Francisco? I was thinking of starting my bid at US$70.

If I don't get it in the end, can I abandon the whole bid?

Hi, YellowDog, thanks for the reply.

We will be staying for 4 nights, 1 room. I am prepared to pay up to US$85/night.

Ya, the reason for choosing USE is because there are only 2 hotels reported and both we do not mind staying.

What do you think?

Thanks

If I don't get it in the end, can I abandon the whole bid?

Just to clarify... if your bid is rejected you're 'done' and you can decide to try another bid or make other plans for your accomodations.

However, if your bid is accepted, you now own that hotel room for the nites you bid, you're charged immediately, and you're then told the name of the hotel. You're not able to see the name of the hotel first and then make a decision. For more information can see the I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire thread.

Let us know if you're ok with these conditions and we'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My $70 bid was rejected and I was requested to check additional area, which I did and increased my bid to $75, but still rejected and asked me to check another area.

What should I do? What happen if I end up with an area which I don't want?

Should I bid again another day? Better luck?

2* USE - 4/20 to 4/24

I went thru the Hotel List for PRICELINE and found Galleria Park Hotel as 2*.

Since the reviews on Tripadvisor are good, would like to try bidding. I have been unsuccessful in my earlier bids for 4*. However, I have not seen anyone bidding for this and also Tripadvisor rating is now 3*.

Any advice?

Thanks

First, STOP BIDDING, as you have an entire month before your stay and better to understand what you're doing and develop a strategy before bidding again.

When you were told to add another area, what zone did you include? Are you familiar with re-bidding? (Priceline Re-Bidding Explained)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread... I've merged your new post for the 2* property into this thread.

Regarding the 2* property, if you were originally seeking a 4* hotel i question whether you will be happy with a 2* property. As well, while the Galleria Park may be an acceptable for your needs, you can't bid on a specific hotel, and while this property may be the only one reported to the board at the 2* level, there could be others (which may not be accetpable to you), and you can't choose which type you will get. Lastly, the star level you select is the minimum you are willing to accept, and you could be upgraded to a higher rated hotel (2.5* or 3* etc) which while higher rated in terms of star rating, may not have the reviews you're seeking.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Hi Esta -

Welcome to BB. I have some words of advice. Please, please, please read the PRICELINE FAQ in the Questions and Suggestion section on this board. You will be doing yourself a big favor. Once you are an informed bidder, you won't have nearly as many questions or doubts. And you can save lots of $$$ with apprehension.

Also please research which areas really are acceptable to you in SF. I used to live there, and I recommend USE, USW, Embarcadero/FD, and Fisherman's Wharf, if you don't mind being in a touristy area. Some people like SOMA, though it's not my preference.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice above regarding the strategy.

I got a room at Westin St Francis for $89/night for 4 nights. In fact, very disappointed, as the reviews from both here and Tripadvisor are bad for this hotel. Even the most recent reviews on 29 Feb 2009 were bad. Do not think they can change much within these 2 months.

Anyway, can only console myself on the price I had paid.

Had done the bidding from the link above.

Let's look on the bright side. The location of the St. Francis is amazing, couldn't be more central. Having read the reviews, you now know to ask for a renovated, corner or a tower room. You can also ask for one that's high up so you don't hear the cable cars. If it's available, they will probably give it to you. And even though breakfast is expensive there, there are loads of places to go nearby. Starbucks right up at Bush and Powell, awesome breakfast at Scala's in the same block, or one of several diners around, including the three Lori's diners. You can have a good stay, and their usual rate is over $300. Makes you feel a little better, doesn't it....?

Thanks, Gallus50, for the above info. It will surely help.

In fact, after reading the reviews, I have lowered my expectations and if it's turn out fine, that will be a bonus!

I'm just wondering why the hotel continue to be so despite so many unhappy guests.....

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Sorry to hear you're disapointed with the results, although Gallus50 seems to have sugggested some room request recommendations which will make your stay more enjoyable as well as some places in the immediate area that will add to your trip as well.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]