Priceline Hotel: 3.5* NYC (Chelsea-MSG) Doubletree Chelsea

MitchB
By MitchB,
in

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum. Lots of helpful info here and I have really learned a lot. Looking to ID this location just like timcanteen in a previous post.

3.5* Chelsea MSG, $99 5-16-5/22

Fitness

Restaurant

Business Center

High Speed Internet

Looks like there's no info yet on this property. Who is going to take the plunge? $99 seems like a good deal for 3.5* during this time of year. I may try Priceline for a 4* in MTE, MTW, or TS, but if unsuccessful, this might be hard to pass up. I will of course use the HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

This property has not yet been identified, and with these amenities being commong at most 3.5* properties in NYC, i don't think we can gain any insight based upon the amenity combination.

However, at this price i suspect somebody will purchase this soon enough... or at least for one nite of a multi-nite stay.

Thanks in advance for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.

Keep us updated if you move forward on anything and continue to monitor the board for this property being reported.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello,

5/16/09-5/22/09

I am looking for some bidding advice for our stay in NYC. Our dates are firm and I thought it best to start now. We would like to stay in either MTE, MTW, or TS. They seem to be the most popular areas and close to all landmarks/transit. I have been studying this site for about a month and I think that I have figured out how bidding on Priceline works. I know about the 5 re-bid zones in NY and will always check before re-bidding. Our maximum amount per night is $130. From the calendar during these dates, this seems like a realistic amount.

Can anyone please give me some bidding strategies? Any help would be appreciated.

I will of course always use the Priceline and HOTWIRE links.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and Times Square...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and Times Square...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone..

Bid $130.

Any questionsl freel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, we were unsuccessful on our bidding. As we were going though it, we decided to stop at $125 because that was our original maximum and there is still the Hotwire deal at $99 in Chelsea in the back of our minds. Here is how the bidding went:

Selected 4* MTE and Times Square...

Bid $90, rejected added Brooklyn

Bid $95, rejected added Chelsea

Bid $100, rejected closed browser

Selectd 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $90, rejected added Brooklyn

Bid $95, rejected added Chelsea

Bid $100, rejected closed browser

Selectd 4* MTE and MTW and Times Square...

Bid $105, rejected added Brooklyn

Bid $110, rejected added Chelsea

Bid $115, rejected added Long Island

Bid $120, rejected added MSG

Bid $125, rejected closed browser

Our main concern about the Hotwire $99 in Chelsea is the potential headaches if, for some reason, the hotel is not ready for our May 16 arrival and we have to get shuffled around to who knows where.

I guess this is only our first bidding attempt, and there is more opportunity to try this strategy again. Thanks again, and all bidding was done through the PRICELINE link.

Every 2-3 days should be sufficient.

The 3.5* HOTWIRE property has not been identified and is likely the new Doubletree Chelsea.

They're slated to open May 2nd and i called the hotel and they confirmed this date, although one user reported that they won't be opening until October and received a letter from HOTWIRE stating such (but when asked to post the contents of the letter to the board and share the details of their win there we have not yet received a reply, and another user who won this property hasn't heard anything regarding a delayed opening yet, so until i hear otherwise i'm going to believe the current opening date)... the Doubletree website is still accepting reservations for dates 5/2 or later, so i would think all is a 'go'.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

After another unsuccessful attempt on Priceline up to $130, we decided to book the $99 3.5* Chelsea room on Hotwire. As anticipated it was the new Doubletree Chelsea. Here are the details of the win:

Doubletree NYC-Chelsea

3.5*

128 W. 29th Street,

New York City,NY,10001

(212) 564-0994

Check-in

Sat, May 16, 2009

Check-out

Fri, May 22, 2009

Amenities

Fitness Center Restaurant(s) Business Center

High-speed Internet Access

1 Room 2 Adults

Hotel rate per night - Hotwire hot Rate: $99.00

Nights: 6

Rooms: 1

Subtotal: $594.00

Tax recovery charges and fees: $111.11

Total price: $705.11

I'm afraid I don't know how to change the topic of this thread to reflect it as a win. Hopefully someone will help change the topic and enter this win on the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins. Thereuare, thanks for all your help. This win was through the HOTWIRE link.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad you got this settled and are happy with the results. I think this is a very good deal for midtown, it's convenient to a few different subway lines, and it's usually fun to be in a BRAND NEW hotel.

We've taken care of the topic edit to reflect your win and addition to the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay... any questions about the city before or during your visti feel free to ask.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the Doubletree-Chelsea website to see if there was any new information. I noticed that at the top in 'red' the statement saying reservations where being taken after May 2 NOW says after May 15. We arrive on May 16 and I am a little concerned at this point. I called the hotel to try and get an update, but I just got a voice mail to leave a message. Hopefully they call back and I can get some more information on this.

I wouldn't worry too much... should there be any problem with opening day, the Hilton brand has MANY hotel rooms in the city they can accomodate you in... and you'll probably come out ahead with some HotDollars too :)

Also, many hotels often have a soft opening before their "official" opening so that the staff can be trained and become more familiar with the property.

Keep us updated if you hear anything further.

Thereuare, thanks for the re-assurance. I got a call this morning (Sunday) from a gentleman who indentified himself as the General Manager of the Doubletree-Chelsea. He indicated that the soft opening in April and a May 1 official opening is still a GO!! He said he's not sure why the website was changed to May 15, because as far as he is concerned, everthing is still on schedule. He also said that if anything were to happen, they would transfer our reservation to another property. Pretty impressed he returned my voicemail message in one day, and on a Sunday. I feel much better about things and now we can focus on planning the rest of our first trip to NYC!!!

• 1 month later...

I have been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks now, but we have been busy working and getting ready for out trip. I just wanted to post that Hotwire contacted us and gave us the opportunity to upgrade from the 3.5* to 4* because the Chelsea Doubletree wouldn't be open for our stay. They gave us the choice of a few areas in NYC and we chose MTE. It turned out to be the Grand Hyatt. So Hotwire refunded the original purchase price, and booked at the Hyatt for the exact price using Hotdollars to show the credit on our account. So in the end they credited us and then re-charged the same on Visa so we weren't out of pocket. Here are the details:

Grand Hyatt New York-4*

Park Avenue at Grand Central,

New York City,NY,10017

(212) 883-1234

Check-in

Sat, May 16, 2009

Check-out

Fri, May 22, 2009

Amenities

Fitness Center Restaurant(s) Business Center

High-speed Internet Access Tennis Nearby

Hotel

Hotel rate per night - Hotwire hot Rate: $179.00

Nights: 6

Rooms: 1

Subtotal: $1,074.00

Tax recovery charges and fees: $165.86

Total price: $1,239.86

HotDollars and gift cards**: -$531.75

Total charges to your credit card $708.11

We are very pleased with this, as the Hyatt is close to so much. Can anyone give us any ideas of places to eat close by that are somewhat reasonably priced?? Thanks.

Reasonable / Cheap Eats:

Breakfast: Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St)

Jackson Hotel Wyoming: great burgers (and stick with the burgers... not chix sandwiches or anything else) Third Ave at 35th St

Head crosstown to John's Pizza: 44th St b/w 7th Ave and 8th Ave (about 15-20 minute walk from the Grand Hyatt... or take the M42 bus crosstown)

Not far but not nearby either, if you're adventurous you can join the locals at this

on the Southwest corner of Sixth Ave and 53rd St (only available after 7:30pm)

Any other particular food you're looking for let me know.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]