Don't understand Priceline Airfare bidding

tmynatt
By tmynatt,
in

This is for a roundtrip ticket BNA -> CUN departing August 5 returning August 11. I found on Delta.com a ticket for $217.20 base fare + $74.14 taxes/fees = $291.34 total.

So I go to Priceline just to experiment. I put in BNA -> CUN for same dates and supply a bid of $217.00 The next screen tells me that my airline taxes and fees will be $137.45 for a total of $354.45, what am I missing here? Shouldn't the taxes + fees on Priceline be the same as Delta.com with maybe a few extra dollars for Priceline profit?

So for me to potentially purchase a ticket via Priceline I have to bid with a base fare of $154 in order to come out with a total Priceline cost of $291...which is what I would pay if I just bought it directly from Delta.

What am I misunderstanding here?

I do appreciate your help.

Not sure of the routing of the Delta tix, but your PRICELINE bid agrees to at least one stopover... once the plane lands, it incurrs additional fees/taxes imposed by the government and/or airport. These fees vary depending upon whether or a take-off or landing, as well as which airport, so that can account for the difference in taxes.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]