Priceline Hotel: 3.5* NYC (CPS) Dream Hotel

ibs102
By ibs102,
in

What a fantastic board this is- noticed how extremely helpful members are. I hope you can maybe help me, too!

I am looking for a hotel in

NYC- anywhere in Manhattan

3* or higher

05/15 (Friday) to 05/19 (Tuesday)

$100 if that is possible (I can maybe go to $110, but would be pushing it)

I don't know any of the areas (though am reading lots of travel guides at the moment) so am quite willing to go anywhere... it's my birthday on the 17th of May, so I am hoping to stay somewhere clean and nice.

I have been reading the advice on bidding but am still quite worried as this will be my first time, so any strategy help or 'step by step' idiot's guide would be highly appreciated, as would hotel or area recommendations

Thanks very much for your help!

ibs102

PS: How common is it to get twin bed rooms? I am traveling with a friend and we'd probably prefer that to a double...

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Rooms with two beds can be harder to come by in NYC than elsewhere... space is so expensive that rooms are often smaller than you would typically find in most other cities and therefore many rooms only have one bed.

If you need separate sleeping acomdoations for each of you, HOTWIRE may be an option they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy... so searching for triple occupancy (or quad) ensures that you'll have separate accomodations, but note that the second "bed" could be a pullout sofabed, a rollaway brought into the room, etc, and not necessarily a 'true' two bedded room. However, do be aware, that searching for more than double occupancy in NYC can oftern increase the price and/or limit your choices.

Let us know your thoughts and/or how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

A double will be fine really- it's more the price I am concerned about.

I have had a little go at the 'free bid zone' strategies, but am not successful at finding anything around the $100/$110 mark so far.

Any advice on bidding and zones would be very welcome! There seem to be so many helpful people on this forum, I hope someone can help me, too!

Many thanks to all who add to this thread,

I really appreciate your help and advice!

ibs102

yes, today I tried to follow another post's bidding strategy, even up to $113, as other people seemed to have had success, but I must be doing something wrong! Never was the brightest button in the box...lol

If anybody could walk me through a step by step I would be so grateful!

PARTIAL success: I tried to follow C-E's advice (many many thanks for your thread, it was really helpful), but could not seem to get anywhere, then split my bid and booked only 17 May- 19 May and got the Dream Hotel at $110!!!!!!!!!! Yooohoo!!

I was then offered to extend my stay at the same price (but jubilant too soon) and entered the check in date, unfortunately they could not find the same rate and offered me $156, crazy people. I don't understand why they offer it first and then say it isn't available, but hey, at least I got two of the four nights.

SO..., I will now keep trying for May 15 to May 17, but am unlucky so far. Maybe someone has a strategy for me, pretty please? I could do with the help, as it seems to be so much more on Friday to Sunday!!!

Hi, I used the PRICELINE link from your fabulous site, but am not sure how to report my win somewhere.

ibs102 xx

The cheapest PL areas seem to be Time Square, Midtown East and someplace else that now escapes me. The Hudson has been going @ bargain basement rates ($85-95 per night), so maybe that's the area I was thinking of if thats not in the TS area. The Hudson isn't my personal fav, but I do like staying at the more boutique-ish hotels in NYC. They are always so eye-pleasing and smartly decorated. They also have fab lounges and sometimes u don't actually have to "go out" for the night and since it is your b/day, what's better than being a slight bit irresponsible when u can take an elevator to your room. :)

I think $100 is "do-able" esp @ the 3* level. Personally, I'd start w/a 4* and work my way down to 3.5. Really hold out before u settle for a 3*. You have plenty of time, so if it takes trying a bid daily, do it. I never make reservations too far in advance just in case the unexpected arises & I don't think it hurts my success.

So far in my PL life, I've found that hotels are quite accommodating. When two beds were needed it was never an issue. I've been upgraded to club levels, allowed to check in 5 hrs early. Maybe ppl are working extra hard to please these days and my stays in NYC have never been any different. I would suggest that u check-in as early as possible (even if the room isn't ready) before the hotel runs out of double beds, b/c they are in higher demand.

Bonne Chance!

Congratulations on your partial success!

We've edited your topic titlte to reflect your win! PRICELINE offered the "extend your stay option" because:

1) they did have a room avaialble for your other dates, although at a higher rate. If somebody's plans had changed or really liked the hotel received, they may be willing to pay the higher rate... better give the user the option or not

2) PRICELINE didn't know which nites you'd want to extend the stay... perhaps you would have added nites to the beginning of your stay and rooms were available at the same price for those dates

Since this thread now reflects your purchase of the Dream Hotel, please start a NEW TOPIC if you'd like help with the balance of your stay.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICLINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy this leg of your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]