Priceline Hotel: 3* Orange County (Costa Mesa-Irvine) Wyndham Hotel Orange County

photomikey
By photomikey,
in

Congratulations on your win!

perhaps I need to lower my standards to a 2.5* or 2*
This may solve your parking issue (depending upon the property), but also may bring on a whole new level of problems (depending upon the property)

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICLINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That is my problem exactly. I stay in that area a lot. What I really want to get is Embassy or Courtyard, or (best) Ayers. Or even Quality Suites maybe. They have parking, (cheap or free) breakfast buffet, free wifi and/or business center, etc.

If you go 3.5-4*, you invariably get Crowne Plaza or Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott, etc. There you pay $15-$20 parking, $13-$20 breakfast, $4 for water, $9 for toothpaste, etc. You also walk 3 miles to your room, which is usually smaller than the rooms at the aforementioned places.

If you go 3*, you get the Holiday Inn (the old smelly one on Bristol, not the nice one by the 55), La Quinta (HOTWIRE) or something like that. You got the old (pet friendly) Wyndham with the nickel/diming and in need of a remodel. I have yet to figure out how to get that sweet higher end value-hotel with the good amenities on Priceline or Hotwire without it being an accident.

I mean, it's not terrible. If you pay $40 for Crowne Plaza, ok---it's like paying $55 with free parking, or $70 with parking/breakfast, or $90 with free parking/breakfast/internet---still reasonable. But even then I'd rather stay at Embassy.

FYI, it is now clear to me that in this zone at least, Hotwire is exactly 1/2 star rating higher than PRICELINE, essentially on everything 2* and up. This Wyndham is 3.5* on HOTWIRE. The Hyatt on Jamboree is 4.5* on Hotwire, 4* on PRICELINE, and so on down the line.

• 1 month later...

Be careful if you think by betting on a 2* or 2.5*, you will get a property with free parking and maybe free breakfast, I thought that and Priceline thought they did me a favor by accepting my bid and "upgrading" me to a 3*, this happened twice in this area. Now I supposingly get a better hotel, but with all the nickel and diming, especially parking. If you want a 2 star, better to book it directly, you will know what you are getting. I booked the LaQuinta in Costa Mesa with my AAA rate for $44.00, includes free parking and breakfast. Nice hotel also.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]