Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Mag Mile-Streeterville) Doubletree Mag Mile

LindaS
By LindaS,
in

I am new to this site and was wondering if you could help me get a hotel room for my husband attending a meeting at the Chicago Marriott this week. 2/26 thru 3/1. The Marriott is at 540 N Michigan Avenue. My daughter is going to meet him there. We need a room with 2 beds in it. I was hoping for at least a 4* around a $100 or slightly more. Is this possible. Any advice would be appreciated. If possible walking distance to the Marriott. Thanks Linda

Well, after looking for these dates, my thoughts would be:

1. If you want to guarantee 2 beds, you have to search for 3 in a room (2 adults, 1 child) on HOTWIRE. The results when searching for 2/1 on these dates show a 4* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area for $108 that would appear to be a potential match for the Sheraton (4* smoke-free, fitness, pool, internet, business, restaurant.) I'm not a big fan of the Sheraton, and I'd rather recommend the 3.5* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville for $78 with the amenities: fitness, business, restaurant, internet, pool. That would likely be the Doubletree, which is an easy walk to the Marriott and cheaper - the extra money can go towards something else.

My other recommendation would be the Homewood Suites Downtown via Orbitz.com; that's $99 on Orbitz.com (use coupon code FABSAVE10 for an extra 10% off per night.) While that's a 3*, that's a great 3* property that offers free breakfast. This would also be less than a block from the Marriott. This would be a king/sofabed suite, and I really think this is one of the nicest 3*'s in the city.

On the higher end, the Avenue ($103) and Dana (on sale for $123) would be 4*'s within walking distance I'd recommend (and that you should be able to use the FABSAVE10 coupon code on.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or Orbitz.com links to start your purchase, and let us know if you have any questions at all.

We couldn't process your request.

We're sorry, but the itinerary you selected is no longer available. Your card has not been charged. We apologize for the inconvenience.

You may retry your search by modifying your date, neighborhood or select another hotel within a different star category and we will search all other hotels to find the best available hot-RateSM.

Note that this price is not guaranteed until the purchase is complete. Hotwire Customer Care Associates will not be able to assist you with this problem. Error #405

______________________-

Does it say the above?

Are you refering to the Marriott Mag Mile at 540 North Michigan Avenue?

Also, there are no 4.5* hotels in the Chicago region... are you looking for a 4* rated hotel? What exactly is it that you're looking for from this stay? What is you maximum bid?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you refering to the Marriott Mag Mile at 540 North Michigan Avenue?

Also, there are no 4.5* hotels in the Chicago region... are you looking for a 4* rated hotel? What exactly is it that you're looking for from this stay? What is you maximum bid?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

I am looking for a 4* *or a 3.5* within walking distance of 540 N Michigan Avenue with at least 2 double beds. Around between 80-120$ On hotwire I am looking at the 3.5* for 74 and the 4* for 105 in the Magnificent Mile Streeterville Area. I was told that the3.5 is probably the Doubletree do you have a best guess on what the 105 is? Linda

I am looking for a 4* *or a 3.5* within walking distance of 540 N Michigan Avenue with at least 2 double beds. Around between 80-120$ On hotwire I am looking at the 3.5* for 74 and the 4* for 105 in the Magnificent Mile Streeterville Area. I was told that the3.5 is probably the Doubletree do you have a best guess on what the 105 is? Linda

My thoughts:

1. If you were to bid on PRICELINE for a 4* in the River North/North Michigan Ave. area, you may be accepted at a hotel near the Marriott (such as the Sheraton or Intercontinental), but there are also hotels that may accept your bid that are on the North end of the North Michigan Ave. area (such as the Drake and Millennium Knickerbocker.) While it is still quite easy to get from these hotels to the Marriott, it's a little bit more of a walk versus some other hotels. If you want to start a bid for a 4* in the River North/North Michigan Ave. area, I would recommend $80 as a starting price.

If you want to attempt a lowball bet, I would bid $65 for a 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area. While there's always the chance another hotel could come up, the intent with this is to see if the Hyatt Regency will - as they often do - accept a very low bid. If the Hyatt was to accept, that would be an easy walk from the Marriott.

2. I'm still seeing the 3.5* Mag Mile/Streeterville that was discussed earlier in this thread. I'm not recommending trying again to get it, I'm just saying it's a bit odd. While it still seems rare, it seems to me that this problem with HOTWIRE (a listing no longer being available when one attempts to purchase) has happened more lately.

3. If you want to pay more for a regular rate property, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the sale price on the new Dana Hotel and Spa on Orbitz.com ($123, but you can use the coupon code FABSAVE10 for 10% off each night) is a good deal, and that hotel offers free breakfast, according to the hotel website.

4. If you do want a 4.5* hotel, there are two on HOTWIRE, but only if you search for 2 people, which means that, if you purchase them, you will have to work out two beds with the hotel and 2 beds will not be guaranteed. One is a 4.5* in the North Michigan Ave/Water Tower/Gold Coast with the amenities: Restaurant, Fitness, Business, Internet. This is a possible match for the Sofitel. There is a 4.5* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area with the amenities: Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, which would be a possible match for the James.

Both of these are over your budget at about $150 per night. The James would be closer to the Marriott, but the Sofitel would be the more upscale of the two. The James is a very nice boutique property, but it's more accurately a 4*, while the Sofitel is more at the 4.5* level.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or Orbitz.com links - and please let us know if you have any questions.

That's fantastic! Congrats on a great deal for a very nice property. $100+ per night savings on hotel is fantastic - especially since how much time is spent in the hotel in Chicago anyways, really? :)

Additionally, while no guarantees, some rooms at this property do have pretty nice views of the surrounding area.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE link, as well.

One major recommendation I would make is Fox and Obel Cafe and Market, which is only a few blocks away on the corner of Illinois and McClurg. That's a terrific place for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks. The menu is at fox-obel.com.

AaronJB can certainly answer better than i can, but if they like mexican you have two of the "celebrity chef" Rick Bayless' restaurants: Frontera Grill and Topolobampo. I was there a good 10 years ago, long before many (including myself) knew who Rick Bayless was, and it was a 'happening' and trendy restaurant at that tiime... not sure of their current reputation, but might be something to look into on the basis of the celebrity owner (also, it wasn't really Mexican as most americans would think, but much more eccelctic)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]