LAX bidding strategy for a standard car for 17 days?

kopsy
By kopsy,
in

Would love help knowing how should I bid for a standard car from LAX on Jun 6- Jun 23.

I've seen in this forum that people have got standard for $13-16, I've reached $18 with my bids, but still rejected.

I was wondering maybe I'm bidding to early?

Also I have noticed that best deals people have got are for shorter periods (2-5 days), but mine is 17 days. Is it possible to get good deal for longer rental period at all?

I would appreciate if someone could give answers to my questions as well as good strategy.

Could someone help please?

KopsY

This is still far in advance, and I'd be wary of making a nonrefundable reservation right now. I suggest booking the cheapest cancellable backup and continue to watch rates. I noticed that the rates are very high right now which could mean

1) some event is taking place during this time

2) the rental car companies are hoping on those who book ahead of time to pay these rates. I noticed if there is no special event, the car rental companies usually lower their rates to generate more bookings.

Sorry if anything I said is confusing but it's still early in the morning :)

Szymon

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for feedback.

Does anybody know is there any special event taking place in LA between 6th June and 23rd June? Today HOTWIRE is offering $34/day for Standard, my budget is maximum $17/day.

What do you think, will prices go down and I can get the deal I'm hoping for?

...will prices go down...
Nobody can say if prices will go down... or up, between now and your rental. Current prices are based upon all known factors, and apparently demand is 'higher than usual' for these dates.
Today HOTWIRE is offering $34/day for Standard, my budget is maximum $17/day.
Again, nobody knows if prices will go up or down in the coming weeks, but assuming the hot.wre rate you quote is from their "opaque" service (where you dont' know the name of the rental company you'll receive until after your purchase), to expect to save 50% off of HOTWIRE rates is not usually a realistic expectation.

If you're not successful up to your $17 budget, what are you options? (i assume you need some type of transporation for this trip)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Last Tuesday, I bid on PRICELINE for a car @ LAX for 12 days. I bid the night before I needed it and I was succesful. I did have a backup reservation that I made last September. I looked at the rates for the 12 days I needed the car and they were ridiculous, over 350 a week for a midsize. Take Thereuares advice and make a backup reservation and then bid closer to the date you need the car.

I've always found that Enterprise is the cheapest. In my case, Hertz was cheaper than any other company. I used a code( car and driver magazine) that I found on this website.

Happy Travelling, Randi
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree that it is too early to be bidding and that you need to book a back-up reservation.

I need a car from LAX for 8 days at the end of May and the rates are astronomical. I've never seen them so high across the board (so high in fact that minivans and convertibles are coming up cheaper than economy...at $500+). I currently have a reservation with Thrifty at $213 (direct through their site - no coupons used). I'm going to try bidding on PL a week before my trip and see if I can do any better.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. As I'm from Europe I read some European boards as well and found a German site www.billiger-mietwagen.de. I booked Mid-size SUV for 414 Euros = $515 (all insurances and taxes included) with National, which I think is a great deal. So I think I won't use neither PRICELINE or HOTWIRE for booking car this time, but I will certainly use these great sites for booking hotels and of course using betterbidding.com links.

kopsy - Just a reflection since you live in Europe. You know that the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE rates don't include insurance and liability coverage? I know that there is diffrent rules for US vs non US customers. You might know this, but better safe.......

I live in Sweden. And ther's no way for me to book a car through a USA car rental site since I have to buy the insurance and liability coverage. And that fee for that is higher than the car rental. They wont release the car without the minimum protection.

Have a nice trip!

YellowDog.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]