Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental the Barclay

Clipboard
By Clipboard,
in

Hi All

Thanks for this fabulous site. I'm new to all this and have been digesting all the information on here for days!

I need two rooms in NY for April 3rd-April 7th (4 nights). Hotwire has a 3.5* Central Park Area described as Boutique with Restaurant and High Speed Internet. The only property on your list that looks similar is On The Ave but the TripAdvisor rating seems a little off. Do you think this could be it?

Also, does anyone have experience of trying to upgrade your room once you've booked? I understand that basic rooms there can be quite small so wondered if anyone had encountered any attitude for asking to upgrade when having booked through Hotwire...

If I go ahead and book, I'll be sure to use the HOTWIRE link.

Thanks again.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

This property has not yet been identified, and while there are occaisionally mistakes in the Tripadvisor info, it's not that common and i wouldn't count on the data being that far off. As well, my research shows that the On the Avenue hotel doesn't have a restaurant, so that would exclude this property from the possibilities.

Before lookg at this further, do you need to be in this specific area... as it's usually not the most frequently sought after zone for the typical visitor.

Are you seeking more than double occupancy per room or just seeking a larger than standard room for the sake of comfort?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm glad I asked because I was happily assuming it was On The Ave! I think it does have a restaurant now but, as you say, the TripAdvisor info doesn't add up. I'll just hold fire for a while and see if anyone else takes a gamble on it!

We don't need to be on the UWS necessarily. We stayed at On The Ave last year and like both the hotel and area but we were upgraded to a suite so the regular rooms are an unknown to the two of us. I've made reservations at 6 Columbus through Quikbook for $217/night for a Queen room but will keep an eye on HOTWIRE / PRICELINE to see what comes up.

I might even allow myself a little PRICELINE gamble nearer the time!

Thanks again both for the reply and the great site.

What is it that you're looking for from this stay?

For example, HOTWIRE has what is believed to be the Omni Berkshire for $135/nite, it gets very highly rated, and would be a signifcant discount to the 6 Columbus you have booked as a back-up.

Would this property work for your needs?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's interesting you mention the Omni because that's the one 4 star hotel I've been looking out for on HOTWIRE! I can only get it to come up on a search if I'm looking for one room though, not two. Is it too risky to book each room separately?

We're two couples in our 30's on our 4th visit to NY. We don't have to stay in any particular area as we're planning to spend time all over the island on our visit. I suppose Midtown would be a better bet but I didn't fancy the Barclay or the Hyatt judging by the TA reviews....

I've stayed at the Intercontinental Barclay before ( and have booked for late May too at a great Priceline cost of $118). It is a very good hotel- elegant, old world style. Check out the beautiful ( and affordable) perfume shop Caswell Massey at the back via the lobby. Many dignataries stay there during UN visits. We booked via Hotwire and were given a room on arrival at 11:30 am- and it was a large room , 2 beds, and a view. The reviews you are looking at are usually from people who've spent $300 and up so they might be extra critical. Easy access to Grand Central during the week via the underground tunnel at corner of 47th. Near enough to Rockefeller Center, Times Square, 5th Ave shops,Madison Ave boutiques ( and Ess- A-Bagel ?) but much quieter neighborhood.

I agree with fcc11's comments above that, typically when users pay more they expect more... when i'm paying $125/nite for a 4* hotel in NYC I can certainly overlook a lot more than if i'm paying $300/nite. I've commented a long time ago that i've had PRICELINE stays which were $40/nite and i gave a glowing review... but if i was paying rack rate of $189/nite i probably would have had a negative view of the stay. So in a nutshell, if staying at the Inter-Continental i'd still expect a 'good' stay, and it may not compare to a property in which you had picked the hotel yourself... but for a $100/nite savings, i can find other things to spend that money on that would make my trip memorable and enjoyable, and not complain about any 'imperfections' i might encounter at the hotel.

If you want both rooms to be at the same hotel then i would not book them separately. However, if you feel a strong inclination for the Omni, you could try to identify it via HOTWIRE for ~$143/nite and purchase one room... then see if it re-appears for a similar price... if so, grab it; if not, book direct where the current rate on their website is $243/nite, which would still bring your average cost to less than the Columbus Circle. I don't necessarily recommend this at this point as there would be some risk involed, and i don't think the risks involved in this purchase make the savings worthwhile, but just present it in case you REALLY wanted the Omni and were willing to 'pay up' for it vs. other 4* properties.

Let us know your thoughts regaridng the above (ie- if something like the InterContinental would be acceptable... for the right price) of if you'd still prefer to avoid certain properties.

Thanks to you both for the comments. What you are saying about the reviews being relative to the price paid for a room makes perfect sense. I tend to be a control freak and look for a fancy hotel (hence the back-up reservation at 6 Columbus) but, if I'm honest, it's usually a bit of a disappointment! I don't think anyone else in our party is particularly bothered about the hotel (you spend so little time there when you're in NY after all) so I am going to take a deep breath, let it go and think about what I can spend the savings on - hopefully!

So, we're meeting up with the other couple we're travelling with next weekend so we could have a Priceline party! Would you be able to help out with a bidding strategy? I think I'd like to start with CPS as there are only the two 4 star hotels there and I'd be more than happy with either of them. What do you think a reasonable top bid is there? $150?

If we have no luck there then I'd look at switching to MTE.

Hope you can help.

Please bump this thread the day before you're ready to make your bids so that we can take a look at the most current rates.

Remember that the hotel lists are only hotels that have been reported to the board, there could always be others, so you shouldn't assume that simply because there are only two hotels list that you will receive.

In light of the above comments of price vs. value i would be choosing a star level and bidding for all acceptable zones, looking for the lowest price in any of the acceptable zones, rather than choosing one zone and bidding to my limit, then moving onto the next zone and bidding my limit, and so-on, and so-on... but if zone is more important than price you could certainly bid in the manner you outlined above.

Just wanted to let you know that we took the plunge and tried bidding on Priceline. It's quite addictive isn't it?! We went up to $160 bidding for a 4 star in CPS but had no luck so then we switched to MTE as follows:

$100 MTE

$110 + Brooklyn

$115 + CPS

$120 + Chelsea

$125 + Long Island City

and got the Intercontinental Barclay! It's not one of the properties I would have preferred but I am certainly not going to whine about it. I'm going to think positive thoughts and work out what to do with the $400 per room savings!

Thanks for all your help and advice. I used the PRICELINE link and would certainly do so again for our next trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]