Priceline Hotel: Want 4* on strip. Help!

jmarks2001
By jmarks2001,
in

I'm planning a trip to Vegas for 3/30 to 4/3 (Arrive Mon - Depart Fri). I would like a 4* on the strip, but something that is truly ON THE STRIP. I've looked at the Priceline Hotel list topic and I'd be happy with every hotel in the North or South Strip areas except for the following (all in the South): The Westin, Luxor, and Monte Carlo (but I could deal with it).

It seems to me that the "sure thing" would be to choose the North Strip as Treasure Island is the only 4* in that area. Am I correct in assuming that I could probably bid lower and probably get a better price in the South since there are more options. But seeing as there's about a 50% chance I'll get stuck with a hotel that I don't want, it might not be worth the risk. The question then becomes, how much can I save by bidding in that area and is it worth the risk?

Thanks in advance! The site is awesome!

which I think is reasonable considering I'm not staying on a Friday or Saturday

It may not be Friday or Saturday, but there is more than just weekdays/weekends which determine hotel pricing in Vegas. During the course of your stay there are 4 'moderate' conventions:

SHOWEST 03/30/2009 04/02/2009 10,000

International Security Conference West 04/01/2009 04/03/2009 20,000

The Wireless IT Show 04/01/2009 04/03/2009 40,000

International Carwash Association Car Care World Expo 04/02/2009 04/04/2009 10,000

While none of these shows by themselves are that significant (except maybe the 40K venue), when they're happening simultaneously, they acount for 80K hotel rooms.

With the above noted, there is no way to be 100% certain that you won't end up slightly off the strip. If you bid the South zone as you point out the Westin is in play, and even if you bid in the North zone you could be upgraded to the Trump (although this seems unlikely at $70 or less although there has been at least one win this low) or some yet unreported 4* hotel in this zone.

The only 'safe' option is HOTWIRE if you're able to reasonably identify the property beforehand and know that it's located on-strip. Doing a HOTWIRE search for your dates the closest thing to meet your goals above is what i believe to be Planet Hollywood for $84/nite. What seems to be the Tropicana is available for $29/nite, and while cheap, it's cheap for a reason and this property is really passed it's prime, and i wouldn't recommend it.

So it appears that you'll need to 'budge' somewhere... either in star rating, budget, or open yourself up to take a bit of risk of landing off the strip via PRICELINE.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My wife found a deal through another site (don't know if it's okay to mention the name?) for $49/night at the MGM (Sunday through Thursday as opposed to Monday through Friday). So we've altered our schedule a little and booked that. The reservation is 100% refundable up to 48 hours prior. Seeing as how I can safely target MGM on Hotwire, I'll keep my eye on it as the date gets closer, but I'd be really surprised if I could do any better.

4 nights in the MGM with airfare for two (from the east cost) for $675 (after taxes and fees). That is insane!

Thanks for the help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]