PA Philadelphia Hilton Garden Inn

micawber
By micawber,
in

We were hoping for the Hyatt at Penn's Landing but couldn't get the usual 4* $65. Went for 3* and got this hotel for $45. It's in Center City, right across from the Convention Center, and adjacent to Chinatown.

Parking is in a garage that is part of the hotel complex - you enter from Arch St. - the posted rate says $20 but hotel guests get it for $15. Parking is expensive in Philly so this was a good deal for 24 hrs - yes we could have looked for a lot nearby or tried to park on the street but we were running late and no longer cared about the cost. As you drive into the garage, watch for signs indicating the hotel - it's spraypainted stencilled on the concrete posts - as to where you should park (3rd level) for the elevator closest to the hotel, as there are several entrance and exit points in the garage. Take the elevator to the ground floor and there is a door going straight into the lobby (only open until 9pm, however, for security reasons).

The hotel was *very busy* when we arrived; there were several (three!) large family reunions, plus at least one wedding. Kind of surprising to us that they'd have PL inventory. No mention of PL when we checked in, asked us if we'd like 1 king, we said yes. Pleasant and efficient staff, they were helpful when we had some questions (cab company phone #s, etc.) We asked for late checkout, they asked what time, I asked for 12noon (instead of 11am) and they were happy to accomodate.

We were given a junior suite which had a separate sitting area with fold-out couch. We were on the 8th floor on the corridor straight down from the elevators, I had concerns about noise but really didn't hear anything until around 10:30am the next day when everyone was starting to leave prior to check-out. No street noise either but this was a weekend.

The hotel has a restaurant on the 10th floor that is listed as having a great view but we didn't use it. No room service. There is a pool on the 7th floor and I think the workout center is also on the higher floors - could see it from our window.

Locally: There is a Wawa (local convenience store) right across the street. Chinatown is literally a block away with many fine and inexpensive restaurants - we're from NY, we are picky about our Chinese food - it was great! There is a shopping corridor & mall two blocks south - drugstore, kmart, etc. The Market St. SEPTA (subway) station is a block from the hotel as well. (Also, the cheap NYC Chinatown buses stop *right* in front of the hotel - a friend at the party we attended took it down and said it cost $12 one-way.)

The junior suite had a microwave and refrigerator and coffee maker - we took advantage of the fridge. Neutrogena products in the bathroom.

For the $45 we paid, we were more than pleased with this hotel. would hvae been happier at $37 (and happier yet at the hyatt for $65) but given the other reviews online about this hotel, it exceeded our expectations. If you're not going to spend a lot of time in the hotel in Philly, this is a more than adequate place to stay.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we really enjoyed our overnight (read: break from the kids!) stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Philly. It was well worth the $55/night we paid through Priceline. Location is good as well, very central in downtown Philly. We walked a couple of blocks from the hotel and had some happy hour beverages at the Irish Pub on 11th and Walnut. Then we continued walking (about 7-8 blocks) to Old City and had a really nice dinner at Fork on Market Street.

The hotel is newer and above a parking garage right near the Convention Center. It also borders Chinatown as well. The lobby was nice and the service at the front desk was speedy and friendly. They offered us complimentary chocolate chip cookies as well at check-in and they were yummy. Also, they quickly granted our request for a non-smoking king room. Room was spacious and clean with a king bed, a roomy desk with free wireless internet (great for business travelers), TV, and a hutch that housed a mini fridge, microwave and a coffee maker with complimentary coffee. Room and bathroom were very clean. Bathroom was a decent size. There were Neutrogena toiletries in the bathroom as well.

We utilized the small hotel pool and hot tub the next morning and both were nice and clean. They also have a fitness center attached for guests. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant for breakfast but chose, instead, to eat at the Reading Terminal Market, which is right next to the Hilton. We ate at the Down Home Diner in the Market and while the food was OK, the service was terrible - very slow and our waitress was completely overwhelmed. The Market, itself, however, is really something special that should not be missed - every type of food imaginable.

Check-out went smoothly. Hilton Garden Inn really is a solid 3* property in downtown Philly. Hope this helps!

• 1 year later...

Paid $76 through Priceline. We tried to check in at 9:30 AM (way early -actual check-in time 4:00 PM) but they said they were sold out the night before so they had no rooms. The staff was really nice, though, and even offered to call when our room was ready (as in, phone) We dropped off our bags, and returned around 1:45 PM. No room yet, so we came back at 3:30 PM. No room, but at 4:00 PM our room was ready - I think we got one of the newer rooms. It was on the 9th floor, right by the elevator and had nice white covers :) It smelled funny at first (i think it was the AC) but we got used to it. The room was great for the most part, but the walls/doors must've been thin because several times during the middle of the night I would hear doors slamming shut. Once, I even heard what sounded like walkie-talkie voices.

The next morning, my boyfriend used the pool, which looked really small. I used the gym, which had the basic cardio machines (treadmill, elliptical, bike), some strength training machines and free weights. Served its purpose. We also used the free business center downstairs - they had a copy machine, fax machine, printer, and two computers w/ Internet access.

The hotel location was extremely convenient - you could walk everywhere. We took the Chinatown buses to and from Philly, and they were only two blocks away. The subway was also only two blocks away. Right by the hotel is the Reading Terminal Market with lots of food options. Tons of restaurants around the hotel as well including Chinatown. The hotel has a little visitor's guide machine in the lobby, which provides information and maps of local attractions, tours, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Check-out was quick. Great experience and worth the price.

• 4 years later...

Stayed here for 1 day over the Thanksgiving holidays. Checked in early around 1pm with no problems. A 2 double bed room that I had won on Priceline for $45.00 a night. Great deal in this location. This is a solid 3* Hilton in the middle of center city. Very accessible to all tourist venues in Philadelphia. Did not have a car so did not have to worry about parking downtown, which can be quite pricey. Room was spotless, & the bed was really comfortable as it was the new Garden Sleep System that they have recently upgraded to. Similar to a sleep number bed. Bathroom was typical, not real large, but quite user friendly. Free wireless internet throughout hotel as well as 3-4 PCs in the lobby for use by guests at no charge. Indoor pool looked nice but I did not utilize this or the jacuzzi. If you are looking for a good, reliable place for a few days in Philly with a great location, this is it. This was my second stay at this hotel & probably will not be my last.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]