Hotwire Hotel: NYC Hotwire - April 13-16

S-Hart
By S-Hart,
in

Hi Guys,

First off just want to say thanks for all the valuable information.

I hope this is ok, just after some forum recommendations, and also ideas of what hotels I might end up with in NYC....

It will be my first trip to NYC, and am only slightly familiar with the different areas. Basically I am after a nice hotel with the following...

*Availability April 13 - 16, 2009.

*Close proximity to touristy areas. Preferably somewhere around Times Square, or Madison Square Garden or Empire State Building sort of area.

*Room with 2 beds. When searching on Hotwire I have been putting in 3 people, as I assume this is the only way to guarantee 2 beds?

*Ideally would like to keep the cost around the $200 mark.

*4 star would be great, but can settle for less as long as the hotel has reasonable reviews.

Does anyone have any input on what area I should be searching, and any suggestions as to what hotel I could end up with?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Only the two. However I'm taking my Dad, so obviously will require 2 beds.

I understand that two bed rooms often go for a premium, but I thought I would take a stab at using HOTWIRE to try and get a reasonably priced room, before giving up and getting something that isn't on Manhattan.

Do you think my goal can be achieved, or am I pushing my luck? :-)

Well, I think the issue may be that with HOTWIRE, a reservation with two people may seem to the hotel (and to the service when you search for a hotel) like a party requiring one bed. Some hotels only offer single-bed inventory on HOTWIRE, and as a result won't come up when you search for more than 2. You can search for more than 2 on HOTWIRE in order to see hotels that will offer more bedding for more than two people, but you're likely going to see higher prices if you do so than if you search for two.

There are also hotels that have rooms with two beds that may only offer rooms with one on HOTWIRE. In that case, you'll just have to call the hotel and explain your case.

I think you can definitely get a room at your price range, but I think it's a matter of having to call the hotel if you require two beds and it is up to them whether or not to give you two beds.

Let me search on HOTWIRE and see what I find.

When I search for two on HOTWIRE, I see a 4* in the Midtown East area with the amenities: fitness, business, restaurant, internet in your price range. While the amenities and location would lead to a potential match of either the Omni Berkshire or Doubletree Metropolitan, the 4/5 tripadvisor rating on the detail page for this listing would lead me to believe that it's more likely the Omni.

Both hotels have rooms with two double beds, but it would be a matter of calling the hotel and seeing what they say. In all likelyhood, they would take it down as a "request" in their system.

Let me see when I search for three. Be right back.

Additionally, while I know two beds would be best for this situation, if you were able to get a better hotel for the money and had to take the potential risk of not getting two beds, would you rather that or get less hotel for the money and be more assured of two beds?

You may very well get two beds if you booked with two people on HOTWIRE and explained the situation, but it wouldn't be a guarantee. Still, you'd be in a nicer hotel for the money and would almost certainly be paying less.

If you book for three people on HOTWIRE, you're paying more money for a lesser hotel - but you'd get your two beds.

Sorry I'm kind of rambling, but it's still early.

When I search for three, the 4* in Midtown East jumps about $40 bucks and the only hotel that falls into your price range would be an unidentified 3* in the Empire State Building area.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE link to begin your travel purchase

The 4* jump by $40 bucks is an example of how much more it costs to search for 3 rather than 2. Is it worth it?

No worries, I'm keeping up. I'm glad you are struggling with the early morning there, I'm struggling with the late night here. :-)

To be honest I would probably rather not take the risk, and pay a bit extra and be assured of 2 beds. I wouldn't have too much problem trying it out if it wasn't for the fact that if it fell through, I'd be stuck with the reservation. Lack of cancellation makes me not really want to take the risk, because it's not like I can just cancel and stay somewhere further out.

Hope I'm not being a pain. :-)

I could probably live with the $40 jump for the piece of mind. Do you have any idea what hotel I would be looking at in this range?

Okay, found a better idea.

Quikbook.com has the Affinia Manhattan for $195 for your dates for a studio. The hotel gets great reviews on Tripadvisor and you'd have a larger space with kitchenette. That Affinia does have studios with one or two beds.

Plus, this reservation appears to be refundable (it is not designated as "non-refundable", although I would strongly advise to read the fine print), and if that is the case, you could "wait it out" and see if anything better came along between now and April. However, if nothing better came along, you'd still have a really nice hotel at a great price.

If this is of interest, please use the site's link to Quikbook.com (click the Quikbook.com)

Yes, I see much potential in this Affinia Manhattan. The only turn off I can see so far is a lack of internet, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. :-)

It seems I have to sign up with Quikbook and start to go through with the booking before I can read the fine print, can't seem to find it anywhere. I will definately look into this, and if I go ahead, I will be sure to book using the link provided.

Once the booking is made, seeings it says "1 Bed/2 Bed" - should I ring the hotel direct and try and arrange a 2 bed room? I assume by the fact that the hotel is all suites, even if I end up in a 1 Bed, I should have room for a rollaway or something? Looks like it has much potential. Again, your help is greatly appreciated. :-)

You should be able to call the hotel to specify a 2 bed room, and should have an easier time doing so having booked through a regular service instead of a HOTWIRE or PRICELINE.

Additionally, the hotel website does show 2 bed studios available for your dates (and April in NYC, while busy, shouldn't be hugely crowded unless there's an event going on - I think it gets busier later in April and into May)

The rooms are 350-400 square feet, so if it comes down to it (although I don't think it should), there will be rollaway room.

Thank you for using the site's Quikbook.com link and definitely let us know what you decide or if you have any questions.

Nice discussion above!

For Quickbook, their "Book Now Pay Later" rates are refundable... their non-refundable rates are clearly marked as such. (usually with a "Prepay/No Cxl/No Chng")

However, you can see the full cancellation terms before going thru the booking process for any one of their offerings... click the hotel name (in this case the 'Affinia Manhattan' link) and on the next page, in the blue-ish box on the right hand side of the page there is a link 'See this hotel's cancellation and deposit policy'

Does this work for your plans? If so i would use this as a back-up and continue to check HOTWIRE in the future, searching for 3adults as you have been, to see if you can better this deal as you get closer to your stay... this is a nice deal for this time of year, but given the weak NYC (and elsehwhere) hotel market, prices may come in a little bit as you get closer to your stay (but i'd still book this as a back-up to protect yourself from rising prices as well as the peace of mind of knowing you have 'something' which would meet your needs... of course calling the hotel after your booking to request the 2 room bed)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or Quickbook should you go that route)

Let us know your thoughts and/or what you decide.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Seems like a sensational plan to me.

I have gone ahead and made the reservation with Quikbook for the Affinia Manhattan. I did go through and read the cancellation policy, and although I am not 100% sure whether I have to call the hotel direct, or Quikbook, should I want to cancel, I know I can cancel if required. It did give me an option as I went through, to chose either a 1 Bed room or a 2 Bed room. The price was the same, so obviously I went ahead and selected 2 Beds. Hopefully it will work out, I will call over the next few days and chat to them on the phone. Also, I of course used the Quikbook link you provided.

I will definately keep an eye on Hotwire over the coming months, but at the end of the day, if they can give me a 2 bed room, in that location (I have tickets to a Knicks game at Madison Square Garden, would like to see Times Square, Empire State Building, and a show on Broadway - location is perfect) then I will be perfectly happy with that deal.

Again, can't thank you guys enough for the help. I'm very pleased with my current booking, and it can only get better, so that's a lot of stress lifted! Thanks!

If you have tix to a Knicks game, this couldn't be a better location - it's a block from MSG. Easy walk to Times Square, too.

Affinia has a very good customer service record across the chain, so I think they should be agreeable to the two bed option - especially since this is a reservation through a regular rate service, they have two bed studios available and the price is the same.

Glad we were able to help! :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]