Late Flight into MCO

zink88
By zink88,
in

Our family of 4 is flying into MCO on December 30 with a scheduled arrival of 9:30 PM. Car rentals at MCO for 6 days at the Orlando airport are outrageously high. Even on HOTWIRE the lowest cost was $73 per day. If I enter an earlier arrival time (i.e. 6:00 pm), Hotwire gives me offsite options on International Drive for $23 per day. Unfortunately, my tickets are already booked with the later arrival time. If I bid through PRICELINE, will I be assured of getting a rental at the airport or close by with shuttle transportation that will still be open when we arrive? If so, any chance I'll get a decent rate through PRICELINE?

Just to be certain you should enter MCO as your destination city and confirm that it lists the airport from the dropdown menu that it produces.

I think PRICELINE makes sure that you have a 'cushion' to account for delayed flights and such, although i believe most of the car rental counters at MCO are 24 hours. Here is PRICELINE's official policy (current when posted):

Delayed or Cancelled and Rescheduled Flights:

Priceline's rental car partners will hold your reservation up to 24 hours after your scheduled pick-up time if your flight is delayed or cancelled and rescheduled.

Rental days are calculated on a 24-hour clock, but that clock doesn't begin ticking until you pick up your car - so if you arrive late due to delayed or rescheduled flights, the rental car company will automatically extend your rental by the same amount of time.

Cancelled/Not Rescheduled Flights:

If your flight is cancelled but not rescheduled, please call our Customer Service Department at the toll-free number listed on your Priceline Rental Car itinerary. Be sure to have your airline name and flight number ready when you call.

To get a copy of your itinerary, just come back to our homepage at www.priceline.com and select "Rental Cars" from the "Check Your Request" drop-down menu at the top right-hand corner of the page. You receipt and full itinerary will be right there for you to print.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since the rates are very high at the airport, I don't think you'll come close to $23 if you bid on Priceline. It will require a much higher bid to pick up the car from the airport.

Looks like the I-Drive rates are from Dollar - on dollar.com I see 12/30 6PM pickup and 1/5 6PM dropoff (at MCO) for $134.88 for a compact + taxes = $159.62 total. $134.88 is about $23/day.

I think you only have 2 options if you want this rate - 1) to standby for earlier flights 2) to take a shuttle to your hotel on 12/30 and rent locally on 12/31

Szymon

One other option since Florida doesn't charge one-way fees for a lot of rentals...

1) rent from MCO to I-Drive for one nite and stay locally in the I-Drive Area

2) rent car the next day locally in Orlando (see cost of renting roundtrip, which would require another one way rental back to the airport, vs. a one-way drop-off from the city of Orlando to MCO (it's common for local rental agencies wanting one-way rentals from the city back to the Airport)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One other option since Florida doesn't charge one-way fees for a lot of rentals...

1) rent from MCO to I-Drive for one nite and stay locally in the I-Drive Area

2) rent car the next day locally in Orlando (see cost of renting roundtrip, which would require another one way rental back to the airport, vs. a one-way drop-off from the city of Orlando to MCO (it's common for local rental agencies wanting one-way rentals from the city back to the Airport)

Good point - I forgot about that option.

Szymon

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]