Hotwire Hotel: 4* New Orleans (French Quarter) Omni Royal Orleans

Maenad1
By Maenad1,
in

I've never been to NOLA and really want to stay in, or within very easy walking distance to, the French Quarter. I'd like to experience as much "local color" as possible so I don't want to stay in a bland chain hotel -- but I don't want to pay $200/night for, say, the Monteleone or Bienville.

So...here is what Hotwire has in the FQ for my dates:

1. Four-star with pool, restaurant, fitness, business, hi-speed internet; $99; with a rating of 4.0/5 from TripAdvisor

I'm guessing this is either Westin Canal Place or Omni Royal Orleans? I'd love to stay at the Omni, not sure about the Westin.

2. Three-star with pool, fitness, laundry, restaurant, hi-speed internet, $54; with a rating of 3.0/5 from TripAdvisor

I have no idea what this property is. The 3.0 rating gives me pause.

A few other hotels available for my dates in Downtown NOLA, which I've heard is not far from the FQ in some cases:

3. Four-and-a-half star with pool, fitness, business, Internet and restaurant for $89, with a rating of 4.5/5. I am guessing this is Le Pavillon, which interests me, because it's such a lovely and well-rated hotel, but I am concerned about the distance from the FQ -- is it truly walking distance or near public transportation, and are there any convenience stores nearby, or places where I could purchase things like snacks, soft drinks, toiletries, etc.?

4. Four star with pool, business and internet, no TripAdvisor rating, $82

5. Three star with fitness, internet and business, no TripAdvisor rating, $64

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions :) If I can't get a good result with HOTWIRE I'm thinking about just booking a room at the Richelieu for $120/night -- a little more than I wanted to spend but it has the French Quarter location and atmosphere I'm seeking.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm assuming the only real possibilites above are the #1 and #3...

The 4* in the Quarters is a match for the Omni and that would be our best guess. The amenities also match the Westin but the Tripadvisor info doesn't match for the Westin... which leaves the Omni as our best guess.

The 4.5* in the Downtown zone is a match Le Pavillon so that would be our best guess for that one.

Let us know whatever you decide to do for this stay and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

3. Four-and-a-half star with pool, fitness, business, Internet and restaurant for $89, with a rating of 4.5/5. I am guessing this is Le Pavillon, which interests me, because it's such a lovely and well-rated hotel, but I am concerned about the distance from the FQ -- is it truly walking distance or near public transportation, and are there any convenience stores nearby, or places where I could purchase things like snacks, soft drinks, toiletries, etc.?

It's a 5 block walk (under 1/3 of a mile) from Le Pavillon to Canal Street, where the Quarter begins. The St Charles Streetcar, which also runs to Canal St and to the Garden District) is 1 block from the hotel. I'd say it's not quite as good a location as being in the Quarter itself, but the distance is certainly managable. The hotel's immediate area is mostly office buildings, so shops there may be shut down there over the weekend.

FYI, i'm still seeing the Le Pavillon offered (4.5/5.0 TA rating)

If you're not seeing the above TA rating, try going back to HOTWIRE and search for 2adults/1child to see if it appears (if not, then try again with 2adults/2children, 3adults/0children, 3adults/1child, 4adults/0children)

Are you able to get it to re-appear?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks -- I know Pavillon is still available, but based on what swag said about Pavillon's location, I think I'd be better off staying in Quarter instead of just outside it. With regard to the 4* in the FQ, I was hoping for the Omni Royal Orleans as opposed to the Westin. My husband is in New Orleans on business so I'll be on my own for at least two days, with no car, so I would prefer not to have to walk far to shops and restaurants.

I did as you suggested, double occupancy plus one child, and (what we think is) the Omni appeared again. Went to book it and got this message:

<<We're sorry, but the itinerary you selected is no longer available. Your card has not been charged. We apologize for the inconvenience.

You may retry your search by modifying your date, neighborhood or select another hotel within a different star category and we will search all other hotels to find the best available hot-RateSM.

Note that this price is not guaranteed until the purchase is complete. Hotwire Customer Care Associates will not be able to assist you with this problem. Error #405>>

ARRGH. Guess it's back to the ol' drawing board.

Hotwire put this property up and took it down a few times over the past few days. Lesson learned -- persistence pays off:

Hotwire

4* French Quarter, Omni Royal Orleans, Nov. 13-16, 2008, $99

Amenities:

-Fitness

-Pool

-Restaurant

-Business

-Internet

TripAdvisor rating of 4.0/5, with the most recent review being October (it's actually been reviewed in November, but perhaps Hotwire only updates its TripAdvisor info periodically)

Note, this hotel, on the list page, was also listed as a "customer favorite," in addition to "lowest price guarantee" and "best value."

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear the hotel appeared again and the transaction went thru without any problems. Nice to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and we're glad the board was helpful in your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]