Priceline Hotel: New York 11/27 - 12/2

toliverair
By toliverair,
in

Hello again! We are planning to be in NY Thanksgiving Day until Tuesday 12/2. Is there any chance of getting a hotel on Priceline for these dates? We would like to stay in the Times Square Area.

Also, I would like your valuable advice on planning Broadway shows and other exciting events for my kiddos. Girl age 12 / Boy age 16.

We would like something comparable to the Westin for around $200. (please don't laugh :~).....If that isn't possible could you tell me what my options might be?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a Million,

Narissa

Please follow-up your previous Priceline New York and Priceline Chicago threads with whatever you ended up doing for each of those stays... then bump this thread and we'll have a look at the above.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For this current stay, are you searching for only one room for the four of you?

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy and it is usually considered risky to use PRICELINE in NYC for more than double occupancy, as there are a high proportion of rooms with only one bed, and with space at a premium, many hotel rooms are notoriously small and don't have space for a rollaway.

If you're trying for one room HOTWIRE may be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy, although the price frequently increases and the selection may be limited.

Thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't want two rooms. With the kids, that isn't an option. Thinking about the Thanksgiving Day parade, I might want to stay somewhere a little off of the beaten path. But the kids would get a kick out of all the excitement. Do any of the hotels offer rollaways? I noticed the doubletree guest suites looked roomy and had two beds but I would have to book directly to make sure I received it, right? I haven't had much luck with Hotwire and I'm leary of it to say the least. What do you suggest?

Based upon current rates i think you're going to have a tough time finding a westin-type quality hotel for quad occupancy for ~$200/nite.

If you search the Doubletree Website (we're an affilaite so please use this link or the one in our support page) rates for your dates start at $400+ (and that's for double occupancy)

I think you're going to have to 'give' someplace... either in budget or star rating. What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel for quad occupancy.

I would have to give in budget. I saw the post about the 70 Park Ave and they have a family room but I wasn't able to use the coupon code mentioned. The prices I've seen are in the upper $300 range. I found one 3* on Hotwire near the empire state bldg amenities were laundry, kitchenette and fitness room. Do you know what hotel this could be? The rate was $209 for quad occ. Would I do better to get two rooms?

This would be my suggestion:

1. Search on HOTWIRE for 2 adults and 2 kids for 11/27-30, and there should be a 3* Suite in Midtown East (amenities: suite, fitness, restaurant, internet, kitchenette). for $209. The price you see may vary slightly.

2. Search on Travelocity.com for 11/30-12/2. The Wyndham Garden Convention Center, which is a brand new property, is $206 for a room w/2 beds.

This would keep you about as close to $200 as possible and still in nice properties (including one brand new one). It would require a switch, but it's nevertheless a plan on dates that are otherwise busy (11/30-12/2 more busy than the first 3).

If this idea is of interest, please use the site's links to HOTWIRE and Travelocity.com.

The HOTWIRE hotel you reference above in the Empire State Building zone is a match for the Murray Hill Suites so that would be our best guess for that one. This is a converted apartement buidling so the rooms are big (especially by NYC standards) and many have a small kitchenette/refrigerator. The rooms size is good and the hotel is functional, but not luxurious.

If SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option, the MTE HOTWIRE hotel referenced by AaronJB is a match for the Beekman Tower so that would be our best guess for that property.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (and/or Travelocity if you go that route as well)

Let us know your thoughts regarding the above options and we'll take it from there.

Here's the scoop. I haven't had but about an hour to spend on trying to find a hotel. I haven't tried Priceline or Hotwire as of yet. I did get an Email with an offer for the Millenium UN Plaza Hotel for $199 for 11/27 - 12/1 then the rate jumped to $349 on 12/1. I booked it as a backup since it you could cancel up to one day prior to arrival. You also get an upgrade to a superior room and free breakfast buffet (a $62 value). The reviews that I read were a little mixed but overall seemed good. Do you have an opinion on this hotel? My main concern is that it may be too far away from the center of everything. I'm still open to suggestions and would be very grateful for any you might have. :) :)

Would also like suggestions on cool things to do with the kids. My daughter is 12 and my son is 16. Some that we are planning on: The Big Apple Circus, Broadway shows, Ice rink, Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Tabernacle on Sunday, Statue of Liberty, etc. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

The Millenium UN is a nice hotel, but the downside is the location... it's certainly do-able, but at the end of November/begin of December it's a little touger than during a nice Spring of Fall stay. Is that rate for triple/quad occupancy? (i'm not sure which you're looking for)

The subway is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Millenium UN.

Since you need two beds PRICELINE really isn't an option (imo) so there really isn't much of a strategy other than to check HOTWIRE and search for quad occupancy... although you may also want to consider searching HOTWIRE for both your complete set of dates as well as 3nite and 4nite subsets of your stay (assuming you're willing to change hotels during your stay, as your current back-up suggests you're willing to do)

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so everyone will know....I have kept my reservations at the Millenium UN. I wasn't successful in finding anything acceptable on Hotwire so we'll try our luck here. I have upgraded to a Jr. Suite so we should have enough space. If anyone has any suggestions on excellent websites/forums for NYC I would be forever grateful. I haven't been in four years and haven't had as much time as needed to plan. We are planning on watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade and would love some inside tips on where to watch, etc.... Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]